View Full Version : WiFi and Data Plan

talktolaura
05-06-2006, 10:23 PM
Hey i am looking to get the Cingular 8125 and have been doing as much research on it as i can. I just had a couple of questions before i went out and bought it that the cingular reps cant help me with. I dont feel like spending $40 a month for the data plan and i know that the phone has WiFi. I have been told so many different things and the rep at cingular is trying to tell me i need the data plan to use the WiFi but i am pretty sure that isnt true. I tried to explain that to him and then he told me i would have to pay for the amount of data i access if i dont get the data plan. So i would greatly appreciate it if someone could help me out and tell me wether or not it works without the data plan, if i have to pay, and if i can only access a limited amount of websites with the data plan.
Thanks a lot

CorporateJay
05-06-2006, 10:35 PM
You do not need a data plan to use wifi. In basic terms, the 8125 has a wifi antenna and an antenna used for Cingular's wireless data plan.

Sven Johannsen
05-07-2006, 12:40 AM
You do not need to have any Cingular Plan to use WiFi. In fact Cingular has no WiFi service at all. Their data is based on GPRS/EDGE which is delivered over the Cell phone network.

You can access WiFi at home if you have an Access Point, at free WiFi hotspots, found in many hotels, libraries and some businesses like Panera Bread, and Einstein Cafe. Ther are also pay/subscription WiFi HotSpots. One of the most well known is through T-Mobile. It has nothing to do with their cell phone system.

In fact if you have a lot of Starbucks around, you could get Cingular's cell phone plus data service, and T-Mobile's WiFi service.

If there is no special reason to use Cingular, you might take a look at T-Mobile. Their MDA is essentially the same device as the 8125. They have a fairly decent GPRS/EDGE/WiFi plan for $30 that gives you all you can eat over either technology. There is a minimum voice plan to qualify, but it's no worse than Cingular's...cost wise.

talktolaura
05-07-2006, 01:06 PM
Thanks for all the feedback is the WiFi connection limited though . . . like can i still view all of the internet and also cingular cant charge me for the amount of time i use WiFi right?

CorporateJay
05-07-2006, 01:31 PM
I use WiFi with my home network and at any location WiFi is available (some locations charge a fee). This does not require a data plan from Cingular.

johnnycs
05-08-2006, 08:07 PM
Thanks for all the feedback is the WiFi connection limited though . . . like can i still view all of the internet and also cingular cant charge me for the amount of time i use WiFi right?

WiFi actually has nothing to do with Cingular. It is a medium that your device is able to use, and has nothing to do with cellular technology.

Cingular has no idea what you do with your WiFi connection and has no say in it.

The services you get through the WiFi (be it at home or in a hotspot) rely completely on what that location chooses to support.

Pebblecrusher
05-31-2006, 04:24 PM
Verizon gave me grief when I told them I wanted no Data Plan. In the end, after I did research and spoke with Customer Service, I got my PDA and have no data plan. So be prepared for a small battle.

Be warned though! Verizon told me that even though I have no Data Plan that I have a "Pay as You Go" plan. And it is expensive! So either figure out how to disable/block the feature on your end or call them and have them block it on their end.