View Full Version : Using Skype on Verizon XV6700

myrampar
05-04-2006, 07:22 AM
Has anyone here tried using Skype on their Verizon XV6700?

I've seen mixed reviews elsewhere but thought I would query the masses here. Most have said that it works better over wifi than it does using EVDO.

There is currently no EVDO coverage yet where I live, so I would be using it at the occasional hotspot. It would be an added bonus if I could use my Jabra BT250 bluetooth headset to talk using Skype! :)

Any thoughts?

Glaive
05-13-2006, 10:02 AM
Hi myrampar!

Skype over evdo is quite usable, but a wireless lan connection allways has higher transfer rates than evdo, so you would have a more comfortable experience over WLAN.
Regarding the bluetooth headset, you can use it with skype. You just need to connect your Jabra BT250 to your pda using the Audio Gateway Bluetooth profile and you will be using the headsets speaker and microphone instead of the pda's.

---------------
Best regards,
Yaroslav Kozhara

Pocket PC software:
www.Handster.com

myrampar
05-15-2006, 02:23 AM
Yaroslav-

Thanks for the response! I went ahead and installed the 'low cpu' version of Skype on my XV6700 and have made a call or 2 while connected to my wireless network at home.

I've had mixed results however. I don't know if the Skype connection is full duplex, so I had to wait for the other person to finish their thought before saying anything. Otherwise, I would not hear all they had to say.

The audio was a bit broken up at times also, so I can't be sure if that was due to the "slowness" of my phone, the paltry 250-300kbps upload speed or the version I installed not being correct.

I must say that coming from an HP Ipaq 4150, I find the XV6700 to be slooowww. This is why I chose to initially install the 'low cpu' version of Skype.

Cheers!

ctmagnus
05-15-2006, 04:31 AM
afaik, the XV6700 has a 416MHz CPU, so you should be able to install the high CPU version.

myrampar
05-15-2006, 06:05 PM
Ctmagnus-

Thanks. I will try the high CPU version soon. I just didn't know if the XV6700 could handle it since it is slow for a 416MHz. I know this is typical of WM5 devices.

I'll post back later when I get a chance to test it out.