View Full Version : Original Version of Original Star Wars Trilogy Coming to DVD (no, seriously!)

Guest979
05-04-2006, 03:42 AM
Personally, I'm tired of getting into arguments about why I like the newer versions - but for those of you who don't, this is no joke!

http://www.starwars.com/episode-iv/release/video/news20060503.html

(That is the official Star Wars site. This is not a bootleg.)

Darius Wey
05-04-2006, 03:55 AM
I'm waiting for the all-in-one DVD pack consisting of Episodes 1 to 6. What's taking them so long? ;)

Jason Dunn
05-04-2006, 06:36 PM
WOW! Cool. That's great news - I was keeping my old VHS tapes just for that reason, because the ORIGINAL versions were never released on DVD.

Guest979
05-06-2006, 01:34 AM
Now I feel a bit frustrated about the pricing and bundling... my understanding is that they are going to sell each movie separately, with both the original version and the 2004 version. Although they say the prices will be "attractive" (or something like that), I already bought the 2004 versions in... 2004. These are still my favorites anyway. But I'd like to be able to compare Ian MacDearmid vs. Clive Revill, Sebastian Shaw vs. Hayden Christensen, etc... so I want these too!

But even if I had known in 2004 that these would be coming out, the 2004 pack is still the only way to get the "Empire of Dreams" documentary/bonus disc. The bottom line is that the only way to get "everything" will leave you paying for two copies of the 2004 version of each movie. Sigh... I'm not ranting or saying it's outrageous, but it's just kind of annoying.

There was, of course, also a 2005 reissue of the 2004 versions, without the documentary bonus disc, for a slightly lower price, but that doesn't really help.

GadgetsForever
05-09-2006, 07:31 PM
OP, this news is gonna make a lot of people happy. :)

Guest979
05-10-2006, 03:17 AM
OP, this news is gonna make a lot of people happy. :)

Well, I certainly thought it would - it kind of seems like very few people have heard about it, even now. I saw it on Star Wars' official RSS feed, and I have posted it wherever I thought it was even vaguely appropriate :) , but I haven't seen it any other places.

It's funny, because I was almost considering unsubscribing from the RSS feed, since it was starting to feel like a big ad for HyperSpace - "see a screenshot from the movie and read an article or two, all for only 40 bucks a year!" They should at least make it clear which entries in the feed require membership. The things they expect you to pay for seem inferior to what many sites give away for free... it's disappointing.

However, the movies are still my all-time favorites, and I'm still interested in these new DVDs, even though I like the new versions better. I have some grumbles, but I don't want to sound like I just hate it or something!

GadgetsForever
05-10-2006, 04:06 PM
Thanks for your pro bono work. It is funny how when you get disenchanted with something in life, it can surprise you by coming through.

Guest979
05-20-2006, 04:40 AM
Pre-order now available (http://www.starwars.com/collecting/shop/shopnews/news20060519.html), to ship Sep. 12. Stop reading this and go buy one! :)

(Then you can resume reading this.)