View Full Version : ActiveSync w/ 2PDA & 2 computers

SkyBoy
05-02-2006, 05:25 AM
I just got my qtek 9100 back from repairs. While waiting, I purchased a Cingular 8125. I currently sync the 8125 with both my home & work computers. If I sync the 9100 with my home computer, will it duplicate all the appointments when I sync it with my work computer. Or, is ActiveSync smart enough to realize that all the appointments have been sync'd with the other PDA.
Thanks in advance for your help!

Janak Parekh
05-02-2006, 04:47 PM
Hmmm... keeping both in sync may be a problem. I'm pretty sure it was in previous versions of ActiveSync; I haven't tried with 4.x because I use server-based ActiveSync. In fact, if you want to keep multiple devices in sync with multiple setups, doing a hosted Exchange setup and server ActiveSync is your best bet.

If you want to try anyway, I'd advise you to back up your Outlook PST before doing anything. That said, do you need to keep both in sync?

--janak

r@dimus
05-03-2006, 06:00 PM
I'm interested in this topic as well. I have a Dell X51v, but still have my old HP 4150. I would like to set up both with Activesync with two PC's, but am unsure how to get it set up initially. When you connect a PPC with Activesync the first time and set up a partnership, for the PIM you get the options of replace the items on the PPC with the items on the desktop, combine the items of the PPC and desktop, or do nothing at this time. If I wipe the 4150, then set up the partnership on one PC, option 1 is fine. However, when I dock the 4150 on the second PC I'm going to get the same question. How do I answer that? If go with the option of replacing the data on the 4150 with that from the PC, how will that effect the other PC or the Axim? If I do a combine, will I get a big mess of duplicates? On older versions of Activesync I would get duplicate entries on both devices, but does that still happen under Activesync 4.1?

Once the partnerships are set up, I'm not worried about things going forward. I suspect Activesync will keep the both PPC's updated just fine.

victore
08-05-2006, 05:50 AM
Skyboy, I would heed Janak's advice and to rely on over the air (OTA) Activesync with a hosted Exchange provider. S