View Full Version : I'm thinking about getting a pocket pc phone (Verizon)

jayson
05-01-2006, 04:35 PM
Hey,

I was thinking about getting a pocketpc verizon phone! And, right now i have a Dell Axim X51v, but the only thing i wish it had was a phone! I was wondering what Pocket Pc phone i should get! I have Verizon Wireless. I didn't want a smart phone, 'cuz i wanted a touch screen, not one that you have to click! lol. Well what are some of your favorite Verizon Pocket PC phone? Thanks!

Jayson

Janak Parekh
05-01-2006, 04:59 PM
The current Pocket PC Phones sold by Verizon are the Treo 700w, the UTStarcom XV6700, and Samsung's i730. All three have their strengths and weaknesses. I currently carry a 700w and wrote a very long review on it (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=47663), and Jon has carried a Sprint PPC-6700 (the cousin of the XV6700), and wrote a review on it as well (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=45046).

What exactly are you looking for in a Pocket PC Phone? Based on that, we may be able to give you some suggestions.

(Verizon doesn't currently sell a Windows Mobile Smartphone, so that's a moot point. ;))

--janak

jayson
05-01-2006, 06:01 PM
I was looking for something that has good battery life, and just something that's very reliable. I don't care about the size. Yeah......mostly i just want to get a very good and reliable one!
Thanks

Janak Parekh
05-02-2006, 04:13 PM
I was looking for something that has good battery life, and just something that's very reliable. I don't care about the size. Yeah......mostly i just want to get a very good and reliable one!
I would say that of the three devices offered, the 700w probably has the best battery life, with the XV6700 and i730 less so... although I think an extended battery is bundled with the i730; it's certainly available--and with that the i730 has excellent battery life, at the cost of thickness. In terms of reliability, they're all Windows Mobile, i.e. mostly reliable but you will need to soft-reset on occasion.

--janak

Don't Panic!
05-02-2006, 06:28 PM
I really like the extended battery that comes with the i730. And if you look around you'll find a simple little program that lets the i730 work as a bluetooth modem. I have had excellent results using My no WM5 X50v with this phone as the modem.