View Full Version : A Different Device For Different Days?

Jon Westfall
04-30-2006, 02:15 PM
So I'm a gadget junkie, with a small addiction to anything that utilizes this product called "Windows Mobile" - anyone else like me here? :mrgreen: Normally my addiction is a good thing, but occassionally problems arise (other than financial). Namely, I normally carry a cell phone that is 2 - 3 times more expensive and 2 - 3 times more fragile than an average cell phone. Because touch-screens, sliding mechanisms, SD card slots, and scratch-prone finishes are the norm on a Pocket PC, I've found myself resorting to a more durable smartphone (A Motorola Mpx 220) whenever I plan on going anywhere that might be a bit risky for my K-JAM or JasJar to go (e.g., Amusement Parks, Bars, Sporting Events, etc...). While we've had people mention before that they do something similar, I figured it would be a good time to actually ask people about their device swapping habits. So do you use a different device for different days / events? What device is your 'backup'? And should ODMs focus on creating more durable Pocket PC's so that we need not worry about device swaps?

Rod3
04-30-2006, 02:18 PM
Don't you have to have another service plan for each additional device?

xdev
04-30-2006, 02:23 PM
the jornada 928's design was perfect as a phone. yes it was a bit big, but the rubber edging and nicely fitting flip cover just gave that bit of confidence.

too bad they're not selling a miniturised version of it.

i use a universal as my main phone, and my "babkup" is a typhoon. Its quite convienient as i can just swap the minisd card (with converter) from my universal to the typhoon and still have access to almost all of them no matter which device im using.

Jason Lee
04-30-2006, 03:06 PM
Don't you have to have another service plan for each additional device?

Not with GSM phones. your service is tied to a little plastic card that you can put in anyother GSM phone. Just by putting the card in and turning the device on your phone number and service options are available to that device.

That's the beauty of GSM!

Rod3
04-30-2006, 03:10 PM
Dern. I have Verizon and a Treo 700W. I would love to be able to use a backup.

scottb
04-30-2006, 03:18 PM
Dern. I have Verizon and a Treo 700W. I would love to be able to use a backup.

You can if you have another Verizon smartphone or PPC device. You can use VZW's online system - VZServe - to change your device. It's not an easy as a sim card, but you can do it yourself.

Rod3
04-30-2006, 03:32 PM
I have another Verizon phone; it's not a PPC or a smartphone. I have several PPCs, but don't know if any of them are able to do that. Can you describe what you're talking about? I don't understand. When I tried to use the other Verizon phone, an operator said it would cost me a couple of dollars a minute to use it. I demurred. :roll:

fireflyrsmr
04-30-2006, 03:37 PM
I have really come around to feeling like a small durable smart phone is really the only carry around everywhere thing I'm going to have in the future. I have the smt 5600. If I need to catch a note about something the voice notes application from John Cody is doing the job wonderfully. I lust after the new hump phone (2125?) that gets better reception but that's a different issue for a differnt forum.

I read Louderback's (pc mag) dismissal of the new origami devices and I think he's going to be wrong in the end. the smaller size - full functioning - and I assume compliant with Vista - device will likely be my next desktop (with NAS - screen - keyboard - connectors). All the really heavy work I do is at work with sufficient supplied hardware there to do the grunting. I'm typing right now on an old Dell 500 mhz machine that works fine for my simple at home needs which includes some still digital photograhy. So the origami device replaces my desktop when it gets retired next year and my 3670. Doesn't sound like a good business model for MS. :wink:

I guess at that point this site will lose me. It's a surprise to me. I was so confident of being in this camp for the long haul that I signed up for Jason's life time subscription rate.

JwY
04-30-2006, 04:49 PM
gsm is awesome
i do swaps all the time
i used to swap for a k750 when i didn't need the extra functions and use a 8890 for going to play sports

Silver5
04-30-2006, 04:51 PM
I don't swap devices at all. I just use my Qtek 9100 as my only phone and I bought an extra one for a backup. If these companies could make the finish on these devices less scratch prone while still looking nice it would go a very long way. We are obviously willing to pay a great deal for products if we think they are worth it. These companies shouldn't cut costs in quality in the most essential areas. Quality is one thing that PPC manufacturers have not yet managed to provide.

Jason Lee
04-30-2006, 05:29 PM
I don't swap my device either unless it is an upgrade. ;) but I still have my old moto phone around just incase. All of my old ppcpe's are being used by someone in my family so I doubt I could get one of those back. they are hooked. :)

my k-jam seems pretty sturdy. I've only dropped it one and that was only from less than waist high onto soft carpet while in the case.
I did get it smashed between me and the corner on a wall once. I use the case it came with, it put a nasty mark on the case but that appears to be all. There is a little bit of a creek in the bottom corner of the device when the keyboard is closed but that might have been there before. but maybe not. It got smashed pretty hard.
So it is pretty solid.
One thing I did notice is that the black part of the K-jam is actually painted on. It is black plastic underneath, just not shiny. I have a little scuff on the edge where I open the keyboard all the time. I thought it was a smudge and tried to scrape it off and actually took off some more of the paint. :oops:

leroybrown
04-30-2006, 05:32 PM
I use my Treo everywhere, though I do worry about it. If/when I end up switching to a PPC-6700 like my wife has, I'll likely freak out a lot more. It does seem like a more fragile device. However, with Sprint, switching isn't really an option so I'll just have to be careful ;\

atrain
04-30-2006, 05:45 PM
Palm IIIe here. :(
And my axim X5 died, having troubles getting a replacement...
:bawl:

You can PM me if your interested in buying an X5 Screen or part... :P

scottb
04-30-2006, 05:54 PM
I have another Verizon phone; it's not a PPC or a smartphone. I have several PPCs, but don't know if any of them are able to do that. Can you describe what you're talking about? I don't understand. When I tried to use the other Verizon phone, an operator said it would cost me a couple of dollars a minute to use it. I demurred. :roll:

You cannot swap a PPC or smartphone device with a regular phone on the Web site. This is because you can't have a data plan with a regular phone and, conversely, you can't have a smarthpone/PPC device without a data plan. You'll need customer service intervention to swap those.

For example, I have a Samsung i730 and a Samsung i600. They both use the same plan features, as they both require a data plan. I can go to www.verizonwireless.com, sign on to my account and activate either phone from there. Because I use Wireless Sync, whichever phone is active will automatically sync my email, contacts, calendar, notes and tasks over the air. I hope this helps.

yoda16
04-30-2006, 06:04 PM
I Have a cingular 8125 I use as my primary and an unlocked SMT 5600 for my backup phone. Use 4smartphone exchange so when I switch all my info is up to date on both phones, workes great.

Phillip Dyson
04-30-2006, 06:10 PM
At the momemt I don't really "swap" devices in different scenarios. Currently I have an smt5600 and a Toshiba e830.

There are times when I leave the e830 behind. Especially I don't have the space to carry it, or its bulk might get in the way. Since I sync them both with 4smartphone its possible ot keep most PIM data in sync.

However, I am considering getting a Phone Edition device, and in this case I would find myself using different devices in different scenarios.

Jon Westfall
04-30-2006, 06:17 PM
GSM SIM cards are one of the prime reasons I've stayed on T-Mobile for over 3 years now.

As luck would have it, I ran into forum member TonyR at the mall today and saw he had switched back to his Smartphone from his Wizard for a day - without seeing this post ;) - switching SIMS makes tailoring your device experience is a simple as a swap.

Cybrid
04-30-2006, 06:23 PM
Personally I've found that having old hardware as back up is a very useful and practical idea.

When I take the kids swimming, I borrow the wife's dumb phone. My old LG 5450.

Were I to damage my UTS6700, I'd just switch ESN's to the old phones.

Were I to damage my Dell X50v, I'd just carry my sync'ed and ready Casio E-125/Dell X5/.....

That I think is the most fiscally responsible way to manage data and gadget lust.

Cheaper to hold on to atleast one generation of older device, in case of emergency rather than face downtime while a replacement is obtained.

Rod3
04-30-2006, 06:37 PM
Thanks, scottb for your answer. I do have a wireless data plan with unlimited data. It's pricey, but I don't think I can use it with anything else. I have squads of PPCs lying around (the Dell X50V, for example), but I don't think any of them can use the Verizon stuff. Looks like I'll have to call Verizon to see what's available. I would certainly love to be able to use one of these other devices from time to time. I'd especially like to be able to use the motorola phone I used to use with them as the bluetooth for my Treo won't work with my Tom-Tom Go, and the motorola's will. Bummer. The whole thing has been a bummer from the beginning! I think I made a mistake going with the Treo, although I've loved the device from the beginning.

Jeff Song
04-30-2006, 07:34 PM
I used to swap with my Razr when I had it, but I recently gave that to my dad because I rarely switched (I didn't go out as much due to getting busy with the end of the semester). Plus, all summer I'll be studying for the CPA, which means very little going out and more trips to the library, so the 8125 is here to stay for a while. I'm thinking about getting the HTC Star Trek if it ever comes on CIngular, and using that as my "weekend" phone when I start work.

DaleReeck
04-30-2006, 08:27 PM
I used to do that, but my second device ended up being as expensive and fragile as my first was, so what was the point.

Though I am eying that VZW Motorola Q to supplement my Sprint 6700 :D

SteveHoward999
04-30-2006, 08:33 PM
I have a phone, and I have a PDA. Nothing to swap. Simple.

fone_fanatic
04-30-2006, 10:05 PM
I used to swap mine out with one of the other phones i got laying around my room, but now i don't. I go to bars every thu.+fri+sat and so far my kjam isn't that beat up but does have a chunk of metal missing on the top right corner. Also i noticed the K-Jam isn't as fragile as the Jam. My jam looked like it went through a war, it had nicks and dings all over its case.

ipaq_wannabe
04-30-2006, 11:29 PM
there was a time when i didnt need to fill in purchase order requests (and have it signed by my wife) that i had around several devices at a single time (and this lasted for about a year):

- a 1997/98-mint condition Sharp Zaurus PI-8000 (still have it)
- Palm Vx in mint condition (still have it)
- Sony Clie NX-70V (sold it)
- Sony Clie NX-80 (sold it)
- Sony Clie TJ-25 (sold it)
- Linux-based Zaurus SL-C750 (used as a backup)
- Compaq iPaq 3850 (in storage)
- Fujitsu Pocket Loox 610 WiFi/BT (sold it)
- Sony Clie VZ90 with OLED (used as a backup)
- Dell Axim x50v (main machine)

----

though they are from different generations - i managed to keep them until i got my PPC Axim x50v... i loved the Ax so much that i started selling my ol' PDAs

Tony Rylow
05-01-2006, 12:38 AM
I swap my MDA with a SP3i when im going somewhere that I just dont want the bulk. I had a trip to the local mall today, where it was quite nice to have a small device. I ran into Jon Westfall there, who advised me of his post.

MitchellO
05-01-2006, 01:17 AM
I don't swap very often, but when I do I typically go right to the bottom with a Nokia 8210. Very small and indestructible.

I can't afford to have progressively cheaper smartphones around :P Although when I buy the imate JAMin (soon hopefully) I am going to have a look on ebay for a used WM smartphone.

mmidgley
05-01-2006, 02:52 AM
I sold my iPAQ 5555 and Motorola v551 to help pay for my imate JAMin. I'd like to have kept the flip phone as backup but am too far financially into the JAMin. I'm operating on the "be REALLY careful, self-insured" plan. :)

m.

ReDeVil
05-01-2006, 01:26 PM
have a ipaq6365 .............and a wm5 enabled mpx200.... :twisted:

telco allows me to have 2 sim cards for a single number......
just key in a code and i can swicth either phone to the "main" line.......

use the 6365 when workin etc.....the mpx200 when out doin sports or activities that dont require the hp brick...:p

jarekt
05-01-2006, 05:02 PM
I have plenty od SIM cards to switch with - 2 normal plans and 2 prepaid cards (one for GPRS only). I have to have PPCPE and normal phone simultaneousely all day long becouse of work and my specyfic phone usage needs. I've tried PPCPE and smartphone but it was too much becouse all smartphones were too big. Now i have primary phone SE d750i (it's a best phone i ever had) and secondary HTC Magician which makes around 250g weight.
Lately (becouse i have damaged screen in SE) i had to have 2 SIM cards with one device but switching them every hour was pain in the ass. So i redirected one phone number into main number and i thing i can live with only one device without swiching. I have Magician without case and it's aluminium made alloy have some significant marks after some drops but i love its design and becouse new case costs less than 15$ i really dont care. I can't imagine to leave my PPC at home so i cary it on everywhere (i do some havy partying few days per week) and if i have to i'll leave SE at home.

Janak Parekh
05-01-2006, 05:14 PM
Jon, four words: you're such a geek. ;)

Anyway, I used to carry three Windows Mobile devices with me, but having reconsolidated, I have to say I'm much happier this way. The 700w is just enough sizewise, touchscreenwise, and one-handedwise that I pretty much don't need another device. I haven't tested its ruggedness, but as I mentioned in my review, others have, and while I can't generalize, I've been pretty impressed with what I've seen.

--janak

crispeto
05-01-2006, 05:23 PM
My tried and true Tmo SDA goes with me everywhere.

surfer
05-01-2006, 05:26 PM
Well I usually carry my X51v because of the lovely VGA screen. It's amazing. With phones I usually carry either a SE K700 , MPX 220 ( GREAT phone :D ) or my Qtek S100 . I wouldn't think that I switch because of where I go. It's usually the moode that matters. If I feel for the magician I usually carry my magician. It's as simple as that.

@janak. What devices did you carry before?

KH
05-01-2006, 05:31 PM
I'm in the phone+PPC crowd. I can't bring myself to give up my IPAQ 4700 with that beautiful 4 inch VGA screen, and even bought another for backup because after almost two years of heavy duty use this one is going to need repairs, the touch screen is having issues. I do fall back to some of the other IPAQs I have laying around, notably my 2200, on rare ocasions, but with a good case and screen protector I'd only leave my 4700 at home if I was going into a bad part of town!

That said, I don't take my IPAQ anywhere that I don't have something to carry it in. In that case I won't carry anything heavy enough to drag down my pocket which generally means I carry the smallest cell phone I can find. I won't take anything with a fragile screen when I'm working around horses, which I do a lot outside of th office. I don't want a PDA-type device with a thumbnail size screen, and I don't want a huge cell phone. So until the technology really changes, I think I'm going to stay in the two-device crowd.

[/img]

Janak Parekh
05-01-2006, 05:47 PM
@janak. What devices did you carry before?
Well, I've actually gone through several generations of multiple devices. Immediately before the 700w I carried the i-mate JasJar and the Samsung i600 Smartphone. Before that it was the Toshiba e805 and the i600... I can't remember now, but at one point I think I was carrying two Pocket PCs and the Smartphone. 8O That changed quick... and, surprisingly, while I miss the beauty of the VGA screen, I really like the convenience of the device with the small screen, so much so I gave up the VGA.

--janak

Eriq Cook
05-02-2006, 03:07 AM
I have an MDA and Razr. If I'm just heading somewhere non-business for a few minutes, I'll feel better leaving the MDA at home. On business days or days I'll be gone for a long time I always take the MDA.

TMann
05-02-2006, 05:57 AM
Three different devices:

1. Dell Axim x50v (WM 2003 SE)
2. PalmOne Treo 650
3. Nokia 6682

I'm on T-mobile, so I can switch SIM cards easily between the two phones. All three of the devices are setup to sync with Outlook, so the PIM data is always up to date.

TMann

bnycastro
05-02-2006, 07:12 AM
I used to carry 2 mobiles and a PPC a Nokia N7610 and N3100 plus iPAQ h2210. I then switched to an imate JAM and maintained the N3100, I bought an MPx 220 and sold the N3100, I sold both the JAM and MPx 220 and now carry only 1 device my dopod 838.
--
When I had my MPx and JAM I used the MPx when I went clubbing or going to parties. Usually swapped my primary SIM card to the MPx on weekends. I gave away my extra SIM card [prepaid with a diff telco] and now use just one device. My 838 is in a PDair Aluminum Case and so it is pretty much well protected. I also have a handstrap for even more protection. IMO the extra bulk and weight is better than unwanted scratches.

spartanrob
05-05-2006, 08:21 PM
This is so me. Everyone at home and work makes fun of me. K-Jam during the week for work and Razr V3i on the weekends or whenever i don't want to put the k-jam in danger. Gotta love SIM cards (I'm on cingular)

Glad i'm not the only one.

JMac
05-15-2006, 06:15 PM
I Have a cingular 8125 I use as my primary and an unlocked SMT 5600 for my backup phone. Use 4smartphone exchange so when I switch all my info is up to date on both phones, workes great.
yoda,

So 4smartphone's Exchange service works OK on your 8125?

I was looking at their site and thinking of subscribing to their Pro account but I noticed it says there under "Devices Supported" that your phone must have AKU2 support on it.

The Cingular 8125 doesn't have AKU2, unless you install a hacked ROM. I don't want to do that for a couple of reasons: While I have upgraded ROMs and dropped back many times on Axims and Asus PPCs, my 8125 is my only phone, so I cannot afford to screw it up and have it out of commision for any length of time.

Cingular will not warrant the phone - or offer any assistance for it if you have installed another non-Cingular ROM. As the phone is new, I don't want to void it already.

Cingular is supposed to come out with an AKU2 supported ROM of their own - I'll believe it when I see it.