View Full Version : Cell Phones Affect Brain Function

Ed Hansberry
04-29-2006, 10:00 PM
<a href="http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/04/27/060427110534.coym1bs2.html">http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/04/27/060427110534.coym1bs2.html</a><br /><br />No, this isn't another "cell phones cause cancer" article. Instead, it is a study on how cell phones affect the brain, one in a good way and another in a bad way.<br /><br /><i>"Scientists from Swinburne University of Technology's Brain Sciences Institute in Melbourne found people's response times slowed during a 30-minute mobile phone call but their memory appeared to improve."</i><br /><br />So, if you are talking while driving, you are more likely to have an accident because of your slower response times, but will also be more likely to recall all of the details of the wreck so you can give a good report to the police and your insurance company! :mrgreen:

Kevin Daly
04-29-2006, 10:16 PM
That sounds reasonable: since your attention is focused on someone who is not physically present you'll naturally be tuning out your immediate environment, so it's understandable that response times would suffer.

Sven Johannsen
04-30-2006, 12:00 AM
but will also be more likely to recall all of the details of the wreck so you can give a good report to the police and your insurance company! :mrgreen:

And when your statement starts "Well, I was talking on my cell phone doing this podcast....."

OSUKid7
04-30-2006, 12:24 AM
And when your statement starts "Well, I was talking on my cell phone doing this podcast....."
No, no, no... it's ThoughtCast. (eh, not that the police officer would have a clue what either of those were...) ;)

Lex
04-30-2006, 03:25 AM
After this study I'm not sure whether to tell people to call me more, or less. :?: :roll:

pocketpcadmirer
04-30-2006, 08:32 AM
I talk a lot on the phone..something like 5-6 hours a day. Within those hours, i talk like 2 hours to my GF. So, it seems to improve my love life too :lol:

DaViD_BRaNDoN
04-30-2006, 09:20 AM
but will also be more likely to recall all of the details of the wreck so you can give a good report to the police and your insurance company! :mrgreen:

Hahaha... *LOL*... :D

TheZodiac
05-01-2006, 01:48 PM
So, should I even bother readint this post bt a cellphone user, about an article about how cellphones effect brain function written by someone who, more than likely uses cellphones?

And, if that person dosnt - am I to believe that where he got the information was or wasnt gathered by someone or some people who use cellphones?

This whole thing is ridiculous!

:D

ctmagnus
05-01-2006, 08:48 PM
I would like to point out that if someone were driving down the road talking on a landline, the same lack of attention would occur. ;)

Miz
05-05-2006, 07:00 PM
I really hate junior psychology surveys like this. Even if it is accurate, it never tells you anything a common sense wouldn't.

There was another research a while back though, that measures the electrical activity in the brain after using a cellphone. They found that the brain activity on the side the phone was held to decreases significantly for about 30 minutes after using the cellphone, although the person appears completely normal.

Now that's some research.

Ed Hansberry
05-05-2006, 08:47 PM
I think some are missing what the article says. ir isn't saying the driving is the cause for slow reactions - though it would contribute. it is saying the cell radiation temporarily causes slower reaction time, like cold medicine does.