View Full Version : Quickly Enable/Disable Auto Retrieve of POP Mail

ChristopherTD
04-27-2006, 11:18 AM
I have an Orange SPV M5000 (aka Imate JasJar) running WM5.

Lacking a Push email provider I use the POP3 polling mechanism built into the Messaging client. On the whole it works pretty well.

What isn't so good is enabling and disabling the polling. That takes at least 11 taps to get through the various dialogs. I think that you can switch to another messaging account (such as Text Messages) and the auto polling doesn't always work, but what I would really like is a quick way of turning it on or off, rather than relying on quirks in its behaviour!

Has anyone discovered any shortcuts to this process?

Thanks
Christopher

Menneisyys
04-28-2006, 09:24 AM
I have an Orange SPV M5000 (aka Imate JasJar) running WM5.

Lacking a Push email provider I use the POP3 polling mechanism built into the Messaging client. On the whole it works pretty well.

What isn't so good is enabling and disabling the polling. That takes at least 11 taps to get through the various dialogs. I think that you can switch to another messaging account (such as Text Messages) and the auto polling doesn't always work, but what I would really like is a quick way of turning it on or off, rather than relying on quirks in its behaviour!

Has anyone discovered any shortcuts to this process?

Thanks
Christopher

All the alternate clients offer this. Please see the "(Temporarily and easily) disable the synchronization/ access of a given account?" row in the comparison chart of my mailing client roundup here at PPCT: http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/index.php?action=expand,46750

ChristopherTD
04-28-2006, 09:37 AM
I used QMAIL for a while and it was really pretty good. However it is very slow to start, and it had problems resuming if the device suspended when it was running. So I had to stop and start it all the time, which was tedious. QMAIL would probably be happier operating from main memory, but the JasJar is very short of that.

Messaging works nicely to collect my mail, even when suspended, and doesn't seem to interfere with anything. It sits there all day, happily polling for mail. I was just looking for a quick way of enabling or disabling the polling behaviour.