View Full Version : Poss. to downgrade from ActiveSync 4.1 to 3.7?

elempoimen
04-26-2006, 04:57 AM
When I got my iPaq 4155 3 weeks ago, I thought it would be best to install the latest and greatest. BUT, it seems from what I've read recently that there is really no advantage to running AS 4.1 with a WM2003 unit--but that there's one big disadvantage: no WiFi or Network Sync. I'd really like to have that feature. I had it with my Palm TX, and I miss it.

Is there an easy way to downgrade from 4.1 to 3.7 w/o losing my device settings or anything. I like the way programs are installed--and that I can remove them and reinstall them by checking a box--and I'd like to keep it that way. Will I lose all of that if I downgrade? Do I have to uninstall/reinstall ActiveSync?

Are there any other issues that anyone's aware of? Is there a good reason not to downgrade?

elempoimen
05-05-2006, 11:09 PM
Just a bump...I think it got buried. :)

Darius Wey
05-06-2006, 03:34 AM
You can downgrade to v3.7 easily, though I recommend v3.8 instead of v3.7. Both still retain the Wi-Fi sync functionality.

In downgrading, you won't lose your device settings. You will lose your partnership, so you'll have to create a new one, but simple things like the checklist of installed applications will still be present.

To effectively uninstall v4.x and install v3.8, do the following:

(1) Remove your device from the cradle or remove the sync cable (whichever is applicable).

(2) Use Add/Remove Programs (via Control Panel) on the PC to uninstall ActiveSync 4.x.

(3) Next, navigate to X:\Windows\System32 (where X is the applicable drive letter), and look to see if the following files are present: rapi.dll and ceutil.dll. If they are, delete them. If not, then there's nothing to worry about. Note that you may need to enable the viewing of all hidden files and folders for this particular step. To do this, open My Computer, and select Tools > Folder Options > View, then enable the 'Show hidden files and folders' option, and select Apply, then Apply to All Folders.

(4) Once it's all done, install v3.8.

elempoimen
05-14-2006, 03:37 AM
Well, it wasn't flawless...but I'm there. Before I rolled back, I something got messed up in my synchronization anyway...so I had to restore my last backup and delete everything in Outlook.

I still can't get any kind of wifi sync going. What am I doing wrong? Is there a step-by-step someplace?

Darius Wey
05-14-2006, 04:24 AM
I still can't get any kind of wifi sync going. What am I doing wrong? Is there a step-by-step someplace?

What sort of problems are you having?

You can try this: http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=285891#285891

The guide assumes an ad-hoc Wi-Fi setup. However, you can still sync if you have a router assigning IP addresses as part of a wider network as the method of setting it up is relatively similar.