View Full Version : BB 8700c vs. C8125

abarry
04-25-2006, 03:39 AM
I need help making a decision, so I thought to ask the experts!

I currently have the Cingular BlackBerry 8700c, and am very, very pleased with it. I live on email, and it provides me almost all I need a mobile device for, and I am now addicted to push email.

However, I do have certain medical books (about $600 worth) that would run only on a PPC or a Palm device. For that reason, I have to carry my iPaq 4705 with me as well. The other problem I have with my BlackBerry is that I cannot use it as a BT modem for my laptop if I am outside my home and at a place where Wi-Fi is not available. Finally, I have to buy softaware and/or subscribe to services to be able to open/send attachments, view office documents, and format email. This was not a problem when I was able to use my SMT5600 as a BT modem for my iPaq 4705.

Now I see that Cingular has come out with its version of the HTC Wizard, the 8125. I have a few questions about it:

1. How easy/simple is it to send push email with it as compared to BB8705c? Is Xpress Mail same as the RIM BB push email?

2. I use the Google mail as my email service; Would I be able to send email through my Gmail account? if I can, would it then make a difference if I have the push email or not with the C8125?

3. Can this recieve and/or send emails through any other email accounts I have that have POP3/SMTP addresses? How about Hotmail or Yahoo Mail?

4. Does it have the AKU2 installed or available for upgrade? I understand that this update is available from Microsoft but its availabilty to the end-user is carrier dependent.

5. I have become used to the 4" VGA screen of the iPaq 4705. This has a 2.8" (?QVGA) screen (BB has a 2.5" QVA screen). Would it make a lot of difference when reading books?

6. Can it be used to tether to a laptop as a BT modem? Does Cingular support it? They don't officially support the BB 8700c, but there is a workaround listed on their website to be used via a USB connection.

7. If I am able to use it as a DUN moden, what speeds will I achieve?

8. I had to get an Unlimited BB plan for $40 to be able to use unlimited email. Do I have to get on their PDA plan ($40) to be able to use email or would a MediaNet plan ($20) would suffice. I don't really care to broowse the web on a 2"X3" screen.

9. Are you aware how soon 3G service will be available from Cingular. I believe that they are trying it in a few markets already. I know that the 8125 doesn't support the 3G. Any knowledge if Cingular is planning to introduce any PDA phones with 3G in the near future?

Thanks in advance.

Atul

Silver5
04-25-2006, 07:53 AM
1. Push email is just as easy as it is with the Blackberry, though it takes 10-30 seconds to get to you instead of 5-10 seconds. It will require that you have access to an Exchange server though. Hosted Exchange is perfect if your company doesn't provide this.

2. I am using my Exchange "push" email with Gmail and it works quite nicely.

3. You can have numerous individual email accounts on the device whether they're pop3, imap, or ActiveSync/Exchange. Yes, Hotmail and yahoo as well, I believe. The best part is that, unlike on the Blackberry, each email account shows up in a seperate list instead of everything showing up in one list. If you have 5 different accounts set up, just like in Outlook, they show up in 5 different email folders.

4. Yes and No. I don't think Cingular has officially released the upgrade yet. It is easily found all over the internet though, so you can upgrade pretty much as soon as you get the phone...for free!

5. Yes, it will make a difference. A 2.8 inch QVGA screen just doesn't compare to a VGA screen. However, the screen on the Wizard devices is very sharp and bright so even with the lower resolution everything will look great, just not quite as good as on the VGA iPAQ.

6. Yes. I don't know if Cingular supports it or allows it, but it can be done.

7. You'll get EDGE speeds.

8. Cingular pushes their $40 plan for PDA phones. You may not be able to get the Media Net plan, but if they let you get it that plan would work.

9. No idea...it is available in some markets now though.

When I used a Blackberry for a few months I noticed how nice it was to get emails much faster than text messages. Using the direct "push" that Exchange email give me is great, but still not as good. It really isn't even push email, technically. It is almost as fast as text messaging though.

If you are so happy with the Blackberry I really would suggest staying with it. It does have some advantages even though it also has disadvantes. Email is still faster with the Blackberry. It is what the device is built for and it still does it a little bit better than the Pocket PC phones can. However, in most other ways it is much more limited, so find out what you are willing to give up in order to gain other things before you switch. In the end I am willing to give up the few little advantages of the BB for all of the power of the PPC phone, but you may not feel the same so check it out in person!

abarry
04-26-2006, 02:33 AM
Thank you, Silver5.

What is a Hosted exchage server? Where can I get one and what's the cost? Is Xpress mail one?

Atul

Silver5
04-27-2006, 01:05 AM
The two that I know of are offered by 1and1.com and 4smartphone.com. Both seem to be quite good and I have not really heard any complaints about either. I am using 4smartphone.com for Exchange right now and I really like it.

r@dimus
05-04-2006, 03:21 AM
While you cannot use the BB 8700 as a Bluetooth EDGE modem for your laptop you can use it as such if you connect it via USB.

Otherwise, you're idea would probably work so long as you can get mail to work and can live with the smaller screen. To check the screen, maybe you could get one of those microSD cards with an SD slot adapter, copy one of your medical texts onto it, and then take the card to a Congular dealer and see if you can make it run on the 8125.

Also, keep in mind that the 8125 only has a 192Mhz CPU.