View Full Version : Soft Reset Takes Forever

PocketPC Addict
04-24-2006, 03:20 PM
Hi,

I'm stumped. When I soft reset my WM5 Dell Axim x51V it takes a long time. I've timed it as high as 2 minutes.

I've tried disabling all my startup items and slowly adding them back, but even with all of them gone it still takes 2 minutes.

Any hints on what might be doing this?

Thanks

Edgar_
04-24-2006, 04:08 PM
I would suggest it is either a driver or a card problem

Have you tried it with your card(s) removed?

Also, try a safe mode start via Pocketplus or one of the other tools - verify that you don't have a errant or corrupted driver loading. You may want to reinstall your major software (any on the today screen, any that use GPRS/GSM, Wifi, BT or video mods (games) as these usually add a driver to startup

applejosh
04-24-2006, 04:56 PM
I've noticed longer restart times on WM5 than on my WM2003se device. (I imagine from the different memory model.) I've also noticed that any today screen plugin will increase the time needed for a restart. If it's a blank screen, it reboots pretty quickly.

isajoo
04-24-2006, 10:35 PM
LOTS OF PEOPLE COMPLAINT ABOUT THIS PROBLEM for WM5, I have a wm2003 and love the fact that a complete soft reset only takes 10-15 sec top and i have around 8 startup programs that need to load up, including Wizbar, Pocket Weather, Pocket Plus and pocket back up. All are under trial tests to see if its worth the cash... so far looks good, no major crashes/problem.

I am not sure if its possible, but try to install your startup programs in a cf or sd card with high speeds, see if that makes a difference. DOES YOUR WM5 DEVICE TAKE LONG TO LOAD EVEN WITH THE DEFAULT PROGRAMS ONLY? With the factory settings?

if YES is your answer, then there is probulary no way around this.

DaViD_BRaNDoN
04-25-2006, 06:52 PM
My Axim X51 has booting time of 45 secs... :?

PocketPC Addict
04-26-2006, 01:41 AM
Thanks all, I've tried disabling all the today plugins and it's still about a 2 minute reset

isajoo
04-26-2006, 07:40 AM
2 mins? wow! i really thought it was only 30-40 secs more than wm2003... am not sure if u have a lot of stuff installed but was it always this slow, if not, try hard reseting, if it is even possible on wm5(dont blame me for any missing files) i know with wm2003 that when u have lots of apps loaded and also uninstall lots of apps, this can slow it down. i hate it when it happens, but i dont really have important files on my main memory of the ppc and so everytime it slow down i just hard reset it and reinstall a few start-up apps, most apps i install in the sd/cf card, so i just copy the start menu shortcuts(just incase keep a CAB file copy of the apps/serial#on rhe sd card) and i dont have to reinstall most. good luck with wm5. i'll pray for you.

ChristopherTD
04-26-2006, 07:47 AM
I would try removing any storage card indicators on your today screen, and even any shortcuts/launchers to apps on SD/CF cards. I think that WM5 is very cautious about accessing SD cards and takes a long time to let them "warm up".

My Orange SPV M5000 (a.k.a. JasJar) takes forever to restart, and a lot of that is with the Windows Mobile splash screen displayed. Not sure what it is doing then!

PocketPC Addict
05-02-2006, 01:53 AM
I hard reset the other day and the soft reset time has returned to it's normal speed. It's about 30-40 seconds.