View Full Version : Program Memory Low - Unable to open PPC

dannyb
04-23-2006, 08:10 PM
Can anybody help me. I have an Ipaq 4700 and have obviously put on too many programmes. Consequently, without warning, I am now unable to open it. Everytime I switch it on I get a message which reads. "Program memory low - Select a task to close or increase program memory." I cannot get past this screen to either close a task or increase the programme memory. Please don't tell me I have to hard re-set it. I have already tried numerous times to soft re-set it but I only end up back at the same window.
If I can get into it I will remove some programmes, but, the question is, can I get into it?

Thanks.

Edgar_
04-23-2006, 10:15 PM
All that program space taken up and you don't have PocketPlus?

If PP is loaded reset twice in quick succession and you should get the option to enter safe mode, From that boot you can uninstall or adjust your slider.

dannyb
04-24-2006, 10:08 AM
Thanks for the help. I have now, somehow managed to get into it, and also have now downloaded pocket plus. Thanks again for the advice.

Edgar_
04-24-2006, 02:16 PM
A few notes I've learned with my hx4700

1> Get the PPCTechs 128Mb upgrade - it makes a big difference to have 128M vs 64M main memory

2> Don't load WM5 - sit back and let the dust settle - there's enough trouble that its worth fighting the urge while others battle for fixes

3> Load the bulk of your apps and data onto CF not SD. Use SD as your interim and special projects expansion. Not sure why but I have seen more problems with SD than CF. Also, make sure you buy reliable, quality cards. No A-Data - keep it kingston, Sandisk etc (also format and optimise them per the thread here http://pocketpcmag.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17921 )

Glad you were able to recover.

-Edgar_