View Full Version : simple registry changes for a beginner???

mm
04-22-2006, 01:22 AM
Where would a novice learn the basics of editing the registry?

I would like to make 2 changes to my registry on my QTEK 9000.

I have resco explorer with its registry editor.

Do I just enter a new word and click OK ?

First change:
Yahoo seems to be a default in PIE. Can I just change the default PieHomePage (HKLM\HARDWARE\OEM\KEYBD) to another address than www.yahoo.com?

Second change:
I am tired of hearing the msgbox.wav sound off every time a SMS is sent. There is nothing to change in the settings/sounds in the main menu for a SMS send. So I looked in the registry and found several instances of msgbox.
Can I just find every entry of msgbox.wav and change it to another wav file? Will that hurt anything?
Or just change (HKLM\Snd\Event\Curr0), - but this entry has two square boxes under the word msgbox in the box under the Name ? Multiline value?
And/Or change (HKCU\ControlPanel\Notifications\Default\Wave) which has just the word msgbox in the string?

I would like to learn more about how to make these changes without messing up my machine. Obviously I would need to do a registry backup. If a problem did occur could I just restore the previous registry?

Thanks for your help.

schmenge
04-22-2006, 12:21 PM
If you do a web search you can find several sites that show how to make some registry tweaks. But you shuld not need that for what you want to do. In PIE options you can set your home page. In settings|notifications you should be able to turn off the SMS sound.

In gegenral if you hose something in the registry you should be able to recover. But you could do something that will prevent the PPC from a proper startup and then you'll have to do a hard reset.

mm
04-22-2006, 06:18 PM
"In settings|notifications you should be able to turn off the SMS sound."

In fact there is no setting|notification for SMS send.

schmenge
04-22-2006, 08:45 PM
"In settings|notifications you should be able to turn off the SMS sound."

In fact there is no setting|notification for SMS send.

Sorry about that. I saw the "MMS Sent" option, which is different.