View Full Version : Hmm, sorry for my ignorance

heymike
04-19-2006, 02:22 PM
What is the precise difference between Pocket PC and Pocket PC Phone Edition? :roll:

Edgar_
04-19-2006, 02:59 PM
Hey, I'll take a stab at this...

Uhmm, the phone integration! :lol:

You're looking at additional full time overhead of the phone software - more battery requirements for data/voice and standby, larger ROM load, some are a bit bulkier because of antennas.

Other than that most operate separately as a PPC, albeit some a bit more sluggishly.

The base OS is fundamentally the same, with the addition of the data and voice software and usually the carrier has added additional items and, unfortunately usually has locked parts of the device that limits it but can be undone. This would include Application locking (to block what could be software that interfere with the phone service) and SIM locking (only allowing you to use the phone on their service). Some even lock parts of the registry and limit/cripple bluetooth and Wi-Fi use (VZW).

-Edgar_

Don't Panic!
04-19-2006, 03:11 PM
Nice stab.

The button layout is also different from most Pocket PCs. On some PPCPE devices there are more and on others there are less. None of the PPCE phone devices I've used so far can be considered gaming devices. The d-pads just don't give the range of motion that some games require.

heymike
04-21-2006, 01:47 AM
Pocket PC Phone Edition has functions for a cell phone itself, doesn't it?
Although I have a cell-phone based PDA but it doesn't run Pocket PC Phone Edition. Accordingly, my conclusion is that they both made no difference. Thanks to you all for replies.

Darius Wey
04-21-2006, 04:53 AM
Pocket PC Phone Edition has functions for a cell phone itself, doesn't it?

Correct.

Although I have a cell-phone based PDA but it doesn't run Pocket PC Phone Edition. Accordingly, my conclusion is that they both made no difference.

Are you referring to your POZ X301? That is a Pocket PC Phone Edition.

You won't find manufacturers releasing phone-enabled PDAs without the Phone Edition OS.

heymike
04-24-2006, 06:30 AM
Ah-ha... I didn't know that POZ301 had the version :) I was just sure that it had been running genuine PocketPC.