View Full Version : Converged, Non-Converged, or In Between?

Ed Hansberry
04-20-2006, 01:00 PM
With the <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/index.php?action=expand,48127">recent rumor</a> that Dell may be getting out of the PDA business, it sort of got me thinking. That news in 2004 would have been deeply disturbing to me, but today, it doesn't faze me in the least. Not because I don't like Dell devices, but in my opinion, the stand-alone PDA, wirelessly enabled or not, is a dying breed. If the device doesn't have some form of cellular/voice capability, it is destined for a niche market. So I was wondering, what are you using? Converged? If so, which device. <br /><br />Non-converged? If so, why - is it the money, your carrier doesn't have anything interesting, or some other reason? Personally, I am converged - the HTC Wizard/K-Jam device is my daily driver. Voice is good, the bluetooth headset makes it worthwhile, but the killer aspect of it is the always on data connection. Even at GPRS speeds - I've <i>yet</i> to see EDGE kick in while in Nashville, Newark, Atlanta or Orlando - email is quite usable and web browsing isn't too painful, and the monthly rate is right.

Felix Torres
04-20-2006, 01:06 PM
Non-converged, not because I don't like converged, but because the $$$ and features didn't add up.

I really like the iMate Jam form factor and would've jumped if the price were more reasonable and the features more competitive with standalones. As is, the combo of Windows Mobile persistent storage and VGA screen plus WiFi *and* a good sale price landed me on Dell's doorstep for this generation of device.

Simply put, the converged pricing and feature trade-off didn't beat a two-device solution for my usage pattern.

piperpilot
04-20-2006, 01:22 PM
I've been reluctant to go converged for three reasons:

1. Battery Life - I never turn off my phone. I want it on all the time. I don't keep my Axim X51v on all the time because I don't want to drain the battery. Extra batteries are expensive. This is the major sticking point for me when it comes to the whole converged vs. non-converged device argument. I know that I would be reluctant to keep a converged device on all the time.

2. Large, VGA screen - I want a large, VGA screen. I don't want a square screen. I like a lot of real estate to fill with application icons and today screen applications like SBSH Weather. In addition, I made the jump from QVGA to VGA earlier this year and I can confidently say that I will never go back. The difference is just too great.

3. Lots of Flash ROM and RAM - I have 35 non-native applications installed on my Axim and I like it that way. I want plenty of storage capacity to keep those applications installed on the device itself rather than a storage card--I want to preserve my 2GB capactiy SD card for media files. I also want sufficient RAM to keep all those applications running smoothly. I should add that a fast processor is also critical to the mix.

So, unless a converged device comes along that has unbelievable battery life, a fast processor, a large, VGA screen and a ton of ROM and RAM, I will stick with my WiFi and Bluetooth-enabled non-converged device.

Dyvim
04-20-2006, 01:23 PM
A converged device just doesn't do it for me. In my PDA I want a 4" VGA screen and dual slots for watching 640x480 videos and reading eBooks. In my phone I want something that is small, light, durable, reliable, and simple to use. The two things just don't add up to a converged device. I've tried an eTen M600, but aside from the fact that it is QVGA and has no CF slot, it's just not a very good phone (compared to the performance of a phone phone).

Anyway, I'm happy with my standalone PDA and not so smart phone.

hewlpac
04-20-2006, 01:27 PM
How do you get a large screen w/o being a brick as a phone? The converged devices are overpriced usually. It is really nice to be able to carry a thin low profile phone when desired and not needing the large screen....

BarryB
04-20-2006, 01:44 PM
I said it already in another thread. I don't have good cell service where I live and I don't want to pay the big bucks for something I can't use. I find it annoying that I would *have* to buy a phone in my PDA when I can't use a phone.

macattack
04-20-2006, 01:47 PM
I am (at the moment) the sole vote for "Converged...but not real happy with it." I still like the IDEA of convergence. I still think it's a worthwhile goal, but at least with my current device (Torq P120), I have to give up a lot of a stand-alone phone's ease of use for the additionl functionality of the PDA. Perhaps the WM Treo is a better converged device for me, but I just couldn't imagine using a 240x240 screen for a lot of the PDA stuff I do on a daily basis. As the breed improves, I'm sure someone will find a way to combine the ease of use of a stand-alone phone with the functionality of a full-fledged PDA.

Of course, my current opinion about convergence may presently be tainted, since I can't even use my Torq at the moment. It's being sent off for warranty work, and from what I've read at eten-users.net, I may not see it again for a while.

delfuhd
04-20-2006, 01:52 PM
I have my phone, and I have my pocket pc. It's okay if there are some devices that have both, but I want my pocket pc the way it is. Most converged devices have cameras on them as ewll, which means you can't take them anywhere. Isn't that the purpose of pocket pc's?? It really irks me that hp is dropping all their pocket pc's for converged, and that dell is following. We also lost Toshiba! What's going on!?!?! j OI:S LFKH FLKSH FLKUSDFHLKSDH you stupid companies stop flooding the market with converged hybrid p.o.c.'s!!!!!!!!! :evil:

I guess I'm just gonna have to live with my 2215 then, until the hx4700 stops being a million dollars or I bite the dust and get a second hand e800, or dare I say it, get a Dell product... But why are those my only options?

MitchellO
04-20-2006, 01:56 PM
One of the best phones that I ever owned was the XDA II Mini. I didn't realise that until I sold it for a KJAM then the SP5. The Mini was small, light,

excellent screen, good phone reception, excellent performance, and the only thing it was missing was WiFi.

I sold the KJAM 2 months after buying it because it was simply too thick. I couldn't comfortably carry it as a phone as it needed a case, and with a

case it was even worse. I bought it because I wanted the builtin WiFi and keyboard. The device was great, but I found the size prohibitive. I would be constantly worrying about it when carrying it around, as for more than half of that 2mths I went caseless.

I bought the SP5 because I though it would be able to do me as a PDA and phone whilst being very small and light.

Wrong again. It sucks as a PDA. Its ok for viewing my calender and contacts, and viewing email from my Gmail account in Pocket IE, but its the

editing thats the problem. Sending an SMS is ok, but for anything else its just a pain. Thats why I bought the Axim X50v to act as the entry

system. Everything goes into the Axim, gets synced to the PC, gets synced to the smartphone. But it just doesn't work for me. Ever since the XDA

II Mini I have loved the convenience of having all of that functionality in one device, and at the moment I don't have that.

Thats why I am in wait of the iPAQ hw6915. Good size, quite trim with the flipcover, WiFi, thumboard, WM5, and decent ROM/RAM.

MitchellO
04-20-2006, 01:57 PM
I've been reluctant to go converged for three reasons:

1. Battery Life - I never turn off my phone. I want it on all the time. I don't keep my Axim X51v on all the time because I don't want to drain the battery. Extra batteries are expensive. This is the major sticking point for me when it comes to the whole converged vs. non-converged device argument. I know that I would be reluctant to keep a converged device on all the time.

2. Large, VGA screen - I want a large, VGA screen. I don't want a square screen. I like a lot of real estate to fill with application icons and today screen applications like SBSH Weather. In addition, I made the jump from QVGA to VGA earlier this year and I can confidently say that I will never go back. The difference is just too great.

3. Lots of Flash ROM and RAM - I have 35 non-native applications installed on my Axim and I like it that way. I want plenty of storage capacity to keep those applications installed on the device itself rather than a storage card--I want to preserve my 2GB capactiy SD card for media files. I also want sufficient RAM to keep all those applications running smoothly. I should add that a fast processor is also critical to the mix.

So, unless a converged device comes along that has unbelievable battery life, a fast processor, a large, VGA screen and a ton of ROM and RAM, I will stick with my WiFi and Bluetooth-enabled non-converged device.

Well it kinda sounds like your describing the HTC Universal actually.

piperpilot
04-20-2006, 02:00 PM

True, true. But the Universal is not yet available in the U.S., and when it is there will already be a new "killer" device on the horizon that will keep me from buying it. It always happens that way.

MitchellO
04-20-2006, 02:04 PM
...or dare I say it, get a Dell product...

I have an Axim X50v and am extremely happy with it as a PDA. The VGA screen is fantastic, the performance is unbelieveable (especially with TCPMP and the Intel 2700 GPU for video) and the size (being a VGA device) is excellent. No camera either.

I wish I could keep it, but I really want the all-in-one.

PDANEWBIE
04-20-2006, 02:12 PM
I picked -

Non-converged, the way PDAs were mean't to be. If I want a phone, I'll get a phone.

I also posted on the other thread a couple of times as well.

I just have to many problems with convergence from the different types of cell signals supported to the fact that going converged innevitably means your loosing a function of your already working wonderful PDA to the fact that my current dumb cell phone has not had to be "rebooted" (or powered off since its dumb) in over 2 years.

Sorry converged just is too much of a pain for me to want it. Make me a converged device that requires no hard resets and has no lockups, that gives me the hardware options I currently have, and works with any cell company I think I would be happy as I just need GPS, wifi, card support, games and PIM.

MitchellO
04-20-2006, 02:14 PM

True, true. But the Universal is not yet available in the U.S., and when it is there will already be a new "killer" device on the horizon that will keep me from buying it. It always happens that way.

Lol yeah. It sucks when the phone you want isn't available.

mhynek
04-20-2006, 02:24 PM
I would like to echo Piperpilot. I use my x51v and v710 independantly of each other as well as in concert (for wireless use). I have 52 programs loaded natively as well as a 256mb CF for backups, and a 1gig SD for music and movies. My phone has great reception, and I like being able to just take it out "on the town" rather than a larger device. Also, being with Verizon, I do not have the ability to switch between devices via SIM card. However, even if I choose to switch carriers in the future, I believe I will still stay with a dedicated pda.

signothefish
04-20-2006, 02:39 PM
Offer a VGA, 128MB RAM or greater converged device, and a price tag below $600US, and then come back and ask this poll. Right now, converged devices are not where they need to be in terms of price and features in order to make me switch. I saw the Universal mentioned. Even if it were available in the US, the price tag is a hefty $1000. And it only has 64MB RAM. I just think it's too soon to be asking the kind of question mentioned in this article. We're just not there yet.

lekim2
04-20-2006, 02:43 PM
I'm not your power user, have a Jam and couldn't imagine using a traditional phone again.

dignow96
04-20-2006, 02:43 PM
To voice a dissenting opinion I have been a coverged device user for two years now and love it. Living in the Middle East I have been able to use imate's products. My first converged device was the motorola MPx200 smartphone but I was never able to fully switch over to it and still carried my old HP and then my Loox. However, when the Jam came out it was perfect for me - great phone, great PDA and no more carrying two devices. Its only drawback to me was it got sluggish with too many apps running at the same time. When the Jammin came out with WM5 I jumped immediately. At this point all of my old PPCs are set up around the house as nothing more then media players. Plug the cradles in, attach some nice speakers and drop in one of my old CF cards and I've got hours of music all around the house. I don't think I will ever go back to a single purpose device at this point. If global GPS maps would start improving (outside the US and Europe) then I'll make the jump to a PPCPE+GPS device.

Phillip Dyson
04-20-2006, 02:44 PM
I didn't select anything.

I'm still at the stage of being torn. But currently I'm not converged.

I actually went converged for awhile, but really missed the gorgeous screen of my e830. So now my girlfriend is converged, and I'm back to two devices. smt-5600 and e830.

Now I'm thinking that I'd like to converge again. I think what will happen is that I will find a place for all three flavors of Windows Mobile in my life. :grouphug:

gmontielh
04-20-2006, 02:50 PM
I am happy with my Cingular 8125. It's the only device I use but I must confess I keep my HP4705 handy. I would be happier if they have a phone version with at least the sort of specs the 4705, its screen-size and thickness and has with a sliding keyboard a la 8125. But I guess I have to wait. Not very long as technology seems catching up with even better devices.

racerx
04-20-2006, 03:16 PM
I'm straddling the fence actually. I have a 2125 smartphone, which is actually my daily driver. The phone form-factor always goes with me and I can get my email and review my calendar, etc. whenever I need to. I keep my iPAQ handy, but don't take it with me everywhere. I use it for a variety of reasons: Watching video, reading ebooks and doing email where I need to reply to many emails. I use the bluetooth through the phone to connect to email, web, etc. but don't use it nearly as much as I did before I got the 2125.

Now, the million dollar question for me is: will the UMPC replace my iPAQ eventually? Hmmm, maybe...

alese
04-20-2006, 03:16 PM
I had a phone and a PDA 4 years ago...
...and it just didn't work.
Now I have a phone edition and:
- I can call any contact just by clicking (from Pocket Informant), no more manual input from PDA to a phone or having to sync two devices
- I have my phone allways with me, and since it's also a PDA I have all my PIM information allways with me and if I enter something in my PDA it's also available on my phone and I'm still syncing only one device.
- I can send SMS, MMS, mails to all my contacts easily anywhere
- I can browse and recieve mails with my PDA anywhere and I don't need to mess with Bluetooth connection with the phone, you just click on bookmark or open mail client (I'm still thinking about push mail)
On top of that, my Phone Edition can do everything a normal PPC can do, including multimedia, reading, games... and even with BT allways on, and normal phone calls during the day I still get better battery life than typical PPC. Also the device fits in any pocket and I payed for it less than for any other PPC I ever had.
I simply don't see any reason not to go converged if you use PPC for PIM stuff and similar. Of course if you use your machine just for multimedia or games and you don't need to have it with you all the time, then the non converged device can make sense.

blueboy
04-20-2006, 03:51 PM
I had a Dell Axim 50v which I've given to my wife and it is an excellent PDA under WM2003. I especially love the screen but I honestly grew tired of having to carry the pda and a separate cell phone. The converged devices are not perfect but there pretty good for what they are and will improve over time. There's no doubt that the separate devices will go instinct. I still hope Dell is going to attempt a converged device, I think it's a mistake not to pursue it.

I have a Torq P120 right now and I love it, not perfect, but it's doing the job for now. I can't wait until they do come out with a converged device with more power and a vga screen.

rhelwig
04-20-2006, 04:11 PM
The reason I want a PDA is to make my life easier and more organized. Having separate devices would make things more complicated, not less.

Converged is the only way I'll go.

Besides, most phones are too small. They don't fit well in the pocket. My first cell phone was constantly falling out when I would bend over or run. My i700 with a case fits snugly in my pocket and holds a credit card and my drivers license. Now if only I could unlock my house, my car, and start my car with my PDA I'd be all set! Having only one thing to grab when leaving the house would be fantastic.

Sooner Magic
04-20-2006, 04:11 PM
I have an iPAQ 4150 which I use heavily on a daily basis for surfing, PIM, GPS and other odds and ends.

I am in the market for a new phone and would consider a converged device, but several of my favorite applications would have to be upgraded and the number of converged devices that have BT, Wi-Fi and have a decent form factor are slim.

Suggestions welcome on a device with good call capabilities, supported by T-Mobile, BT, Wi-Fi and has a nice form factor.

Thanks.

KTamas
04-20-2006, 04:14 PM
Converged. VGA devices are always tempting but when I compare Phone vs. VGA, I'd miss phone more (Universal does not count, it is too freaking big and a bluetooth headset would not work for me for serveral reasons). Of course I'd be happy if they could make a converged VGA device with a reasonable size, but until that...qvga/square screen converged devices are fine.

martin_ayton
04-20-2006, 04:14 PM
Converged: Xda2s (WM2003SE)

It's a compromise: I give up the VGA screen, (some) advanced 'phone functions and a teeny-tiny form factor for a 'phone and I gain one device which may not be brilliant at everything but does everything I want it to well enough for me not to throw it out the window. I don't want a utility belt to rival Batman's; I want to pick up my wallet, my keys and my PDA/'phone and be good to go. Any more items than that and I forget them and leave them all over the place - my brain can handle three. Tops.

If you just can't handle the compromise - i.e. you *have* to have the large VGA, the speed etc. etc. on the PDA, and the latest dinky 'phone then forget it - you are never going to be happy with a converged device. Any converged device is going to compromise somewhere between the 'phone and the PDA and that compromise will tick you off royally.

mcrobin
04-20-2006, 04:17 PM
Hey everyone

My basic principal is: A cell phone and pda have conflicting goals in life; once is trying to get bigger and bigger and the other is trying to get smaller and smaller.

From that comment I guess you can figure out that I carry two devices and here is why:

1) I want a larger screen than the 6700 has and yes I know there are some converged devices that have bigger screens but then you just have a bigger cell phone.

2) Costs of switching or upgrading. Having two devices makes it much easier for me to upgrade. When EV-DO was available I was able to upgrade my phone with Bluetooth for $99 and when I decided to try GPRS again it only costs me $49 for the phone in each case. And when EDGE becomes more widely available in my area I will probably get an EDGE phone.

3) Carrying: Another cool feature that I like about having two devices is that on the weekend or when my PDA will not be needed (which is not a lot of times, but it does happen  ) I can just slip my RAZR or Blade in my pocket and off I go.

4) Carrier selection: What if I do not like what the carrier has selected as the device of choice and I just want one device? I am not saying that any of the devices that are available to choose from currently on the various carriers are not fine devices; but just wondering….

I know that someday I will have to give in because, as you say, the stand alone PDA will be for fewer people. I for one am putting it off for as long as I can work around it.

Just my 2 cents worth

IPAQ hx2795 &amp; Cingular RAZr

SteveHoward999
04-20-2006, 04:30 PM
I've posted to similar threads here every month or so ... the answer is still the same

Sometimes I do not want or need - or maybe even I am not allowed - to take a phone with me. Other times it's the PDA that does not go with me. Whether by choice or enforcement, that means there are times I *must* have separate devices.

I can have a better phone and a better PDA for a better price if I have two separate devices, and I can update each independantly as features, fashion or whim dictate.

A good phone for me is a small device, with a relatively small screen. A good PDA for me is a relatively large device because it has a 4 inch VGA screen. These are mutually exclusive features.

Battery life on a converged device is unaceptable. I can go away from home for a week and not worry about recharging my phone. My PDA or a converged device would normally require recharging at least daily, which often is not possible for me when I travel.

Right now I'm looking out for a good deal on a Nokia 6682 (without a locked-in contract). For my personal needs it will be a fantastic companion to my Toshiba E830.

Jason Lee
04-20-2006, 04:31 PM
I have been convergent for over around 3 years now. I was a long time hold out. I had my hp 2215 for over 2 years! 8O That is the longest i ever had a single ppc. I was soo happy when i finally could get a bluetooth phone with gprs. I used that for along time but it just wasn't as easy. I couldn't have it check my email for me or stay signed into messenger with out leaving the pocket pc powered on all the time. And at the time there was no way to do my sms from the ppc.
But all the ppc phones at the time were pretty crappy pocket pcs.. they may have been crapy phones too but that never bothered me.
Then came the blueangel! Finally a pocket pc phone that might actually be an upgrade to my 2215. It was actually an upgrade in every respect except i would loose my beloved CF slot (and that really cool nevo stuff lol).
It took me over 6 months of debating and i finally made the jump then the blueangel made it to cingular as the sx66. I really couldn't justify the $900USD, at the time, to order the imate version.
Well after using the sx66 for over 2 years realized that i should have spent the extra money and got the imate... The sx66 had no camera built in... which i used aaaalll the time before i got it. plus cingular was had only released one (1) rom update for the device. The imate had like 12... ;) So i got screwed out of media player 10 and a newer bluetooth stack...
So the k-jam arrives... i then debate for over 6 months again.. i even had it added to my shopping cart 5 or more times on mad monkey boy's site.. :) Was it really an upgrade? I would rather have the universal but the GSM here is almost all 850... :( no go there.
The only real draw backs the k-jam had compared to my sx66 where the slower processor (which didn't concern me as much) and the stupid mini sd card! :) And after all was said and done it actually had less storage memory than my sx66... plus it was kinda pricey.. but not too bad....
Finally the opportunity came for me to get one through work. Woot! I could try it out without having to fork over the money.

I have to say that i have never been happier with a pocket pc. There are a few things that the processor cannot handle as well as my sx66. The only sd device i had was a camera which is now built in. (the sd drivers on the sx66 were very bad.. the camera would lock the device very often and always required a reboot before it would even work plus not being able to run bluetooth and/or wifi with out having to reboot half the time due to memory issues!)
I came into the k-jam world after AKU2 had been released. The device didn't ship with it but i only played with it a minute or so before flashing the rom. It is the most stable device i have eever owned! the bluetooth and wifi work flawlessly, and at the same time and without a reboot!!! ;)
Everything on the device works as it should out of the box. I have not really had any bugs like every other pocket pc i have owned has had. I don't have to deal with anything.. it just works. Soo nice. :)
loosing the widcomm bluetooth stack from my sx66 was also a big concern. I knew that the MS stack didn't support near the features that the widcomm did. But it turns out that the ms stack supports absolutely everything i did with the widcomm stack and it does it much better. It is stable, it loads every time i turn on bluetooth ;) It really is much easier to use. Although coming from the widcomm stack i was totally confused as to how to get it to do what i wanted but after a bit of playing around it is so easy. I really do like it a lot.

There are still times that i miss the power that a stand alone ppc could offer me. and the CF slot.... ;) I may buy an x51v one of these days when i can catch it on a good sale again. I honestly won't use it much.. but with WM5 i will not have to worry about keeping it charged. :D

I don't think i could go back to being non-convergent and really be happy. I think i would rather have a spare stand alone ppc to test stuff on and use for some of the more power hungry stuff. I just don't want to have to manage data between 2 pocket pcs. :)

So very long story short.. i like convergence. :mrgreen:

jngold_me
04-20-2006, 05:21 PM
Battery life on a converged device is unaceptable. I can go away from home for a week and not worry about recharging my phone. My PDA or a converged device would normally require recharging at least daily, which often is not possible for me when I travel.

Why? You don't stop to sleep when you travel? Overnight charging out of the question? If you can go a week with charging your phone, then you must not be using the phone very much. Or, you might be shutting it off overnight to save the battery? I don't know too many (if any) people that can go that long without recharging, especially if they use it.

I can go at least a couple of days without charging my K-JAM if I don't go crazy with all kinds of BT, Wifi, or EDGE connections. I can get even more life out of the battery if I totally shut down the device (not suspend mode) overnight.

SteveHoward999
04-20-2006, 05:43 PM

Why? You don't stop to sleep when you travel? Overnight charging out of the question? If you can go a week with charging your phone, then you must not be using the phone very much. Or, you might be shutting it off overnight to save the battery? I don't know too many (if any) people that can go that long without recharging, especially if they use it.

I wasn't clear. I do not use my phone much - which is also a driver for wanting sdeparate devices. It is my slave, I am not a slave to my phone!

I use my PDA for a few hours daily, so it gets charged at least every other day. My phone gets charged every week or 10 days. Sometimes I want or need to travel light, so I take only the phone. If I am travelling light, that means no crate of chargers and other stuff.

It's taken me long enough to even consider taking the phone on a 'light' trip, the compromises I am willing to make for it are minimal. I have every intention of never needing surgery to remove that intrusive device from my ear.

paschott
04-20-2006, 05:46 PM
I will agree with a lot of the reasons people are giving for why a single device doesn't work for them, but I found that going to the HTC Wizard (Cingular 8125) was actually a good move for me.

At one point I was juggling a BlackBerry (email only), cell phone, and PDA. That got silly, the cellphone and blackberry took a beating due to drops and such. I was looking for one device for everything. The 240x240 resolution on a good portion of the single devices didn't make sense to me as most of my apps wouldn't port correctly. WM2003SE w/ phone? Please.

The WM5 devices started coming out and I really liked the look of the Universal, even with the size. Couldn't justify spending that much, though. I looked at the Wizard for a while, saw one up close, then saw that I could get a pretty decent price through Cingular. As I needed a new phone soon anyway as I was losing the work one, I jumped.

I've flashed the ROM thanks to one of the posters on the XDA Developers forums and now could have push e-mail if our Exchange server were up to date (or if I signed for one of the push services). Performance is reasonable for my needs - I'm not a power gamer so don't really notice if something's different there and the apps I do run work well.

Things I didn't like too much:
* MiniSD - I already had SD cards, had to buy another....
* Dual slots - I miss the CF slot, but it's a phone.
* No vibrate alerts when in standby - this is still driving a good portion of the users nuts, especially since some of the MS devs say that it works. Can't have a Blackberry killer if you can't get notified quietly.
* No VGA - yeah, so it's not the universal. I wouldn't mind a slightly thinner but larger device comparable to size of my 2200, but I'll live.
* Alarms in general - seem to have trouble firing. I haven't really played with this too much, though. Just kind of noticed that some of my alerts aren't triggering in standby mode or something's not quite picking up right. Other users have mentioned that they don't quite work for mornings and similar.

Actually, there really isn't much I don't like about it. The problems others tend to have don't really bother me much. The lack of the bluetooth audio doesn't matter as I don't have a bluetooth headset. Push e-mail will work once our server will support it - in the meantime, I have ActiveSync over GPRS or Wireless. One device - no worrying if I've forgotten either my phone, pda, or blackberry anymore.

-Pete

SHC
04-20-2006, 06:54 PM
I'm waiting for the Loox T-830 in July. 3G, GPRS, WiFI, GPS, Bluetooth, SD slot, keyboard, 2 cameras.
I can't help it, I'm hooked on the spec.
I will be leaving my 4700 VGA screen for a 2.4" QVGA one, might hate it.
Gotta have it though.

isajoo
04-20-2006, 07:07 PM
looks like everyone has the same problem with the whole ppc phone editions, well if u compare apple to oranges... the pocket pc is still more user freindly, size, hardware and software. but just think 10 years ago when the whole laptop thing was just getting bigger, u would see laptops that were too big, yet had small screens and not very reliable, non user freindly, but things changed, not there are 17" screens and more powerful yet lighter laptops that even a student on a budget can afford, i could have gotten a smartphone for less then $100 but it does not come close to what i can do with my ppc and seperate phone... in the next 2-3 years we will start to see better unit with ppc pe that are going to be more user freindly for the average joe... i am glad that there are so many beta users willing to spend $1000's for the perfect device...hope to get one also, but not today.

thunderbass
04-20-2006, 07:30 PM
As much as I want a converged device, it just doesn’t work for a couple of reasons that I share with many others. My present cell provider, the one that’s always talking about how great their network is, is way too controlling to trust with a Pocket PC. When it comes to products like that, they’re always disabling things, which doesn’t sit at all well with me. Besides that, I don’t want to sacrifice screen size, processor, or internal memory (still strikes me as a little more secure than a storage card). I use my Pocket PC more than I use my personal desktop, and it needs as much of those things as it can get. Oh yeah, don’t expect any great deals from the cell providers, either. My provider charges a lot for their data service. If we had some sort of wide area wireless networking that could be always on, that would be better.

thunderbass
04-20-2006, 07:30 PM
As much as I want a converged device, it just doesn’t work for a couple of reasons that I share with many others. My present cell provider, the one that’s always talking about how great their network is, is way too controlling to trust with a Pocket PC. When it comes to products like that, they’re always disabling things, which doesn’t sit at all well with me. Besides that, I don’t want to sacrifice screen size, processor, or internal memory (still strikes me as a little more secure than a storage card). I use my Pocket PC more than I use my personal desktop, and it needs as much of those things as it can get. Oh yeah, don’t expect any great deals from the cell providers, either. My provider charges a lot for their data service. If we had some sort of wide area wireless networking that could be always on, that would be better.

axe
04-20-2006, 07:40 PM
I once thought that a converged device wold be my next device, however several factors have changed my mind. I'd rather have a cell and a PDA and link them at my leisure
1) Rogers and Bell in Canada have a limited number of devices (to say the least)
2) Data plans in Canada are about 10x the price as in the States - Rogers is $3 for 250KB, and unlimited for more than $60 per month. Tmobile, where are you???
3) I have had my iPaq 2215 for more than 3 years now, a long time I know, but it still does (mostly) what I need it to. I change my phone every two to get new features, and because that is when my provider subsidizes the hardware upgrade. a converged device is still$600+ dollars. My last phone upgrade cost me $50, after rebates.
4) WinMobile O/S changes wholescale too often (~18 months per O/S). I can't keep up with that at $600 every two years.
5) Smartphones don't interest me in the least because you can't do enough with them, so PPCPE machines are the only way I would even try.

My 2c

IpaqMan2
04-20-2006, 07:52 PM
In response to the topic -
I've always in-visioned PDAs to be so much more, than a phone counter part. In my mind I had hoped to see PDAs become a strong computing-base mobile platform - not a Carrier depended device where it's fate is decided upon the sale of an over priced and limited service. A Palm in every hand, or a Pocket PC in every Pocket is what I had hoped where, the PDA itself had the expansion and the ability to use any carriers network we chose through micro wireless cards. Though it's pure fantasy and science fiction, the best way I can liken it is much like how PDAs were used in the game Doom 3. In the Game, PDAs seemed to be a part of of their everday life and though the game didn't go into it, one can imagine an inviroment that utilized and suppored PDAs for everything, from commnication, company documentation, maps, instructional videos, ID Badge, and voice messages. Though can argue that todays phones can do most of these tasks, the difference is that the PDA wouldn't be depended upon a carrier's subscription and their networks and can still act as a productive platform through WiFi and a larger viewable aread than found on most smartphones.

stlbud
04-20-2006, 08:15 PM
Ok, so maybe that comment will raise a lot of dust but I really don't need nor do I want one. My job is in an office with very little travel outside. I spend most of my day on the phone with customers and the last thing I want to do on my own time is spend it on the phone. I realize there are a lot of people who really need a phone that can travel with them and hope they find something that helps them get the job done.

What about the people who just think they need a cell phone? I see people standing in line at mac donalds with a cell phone taped to their head. They are so attached to that little bit of plastic they can't even interrupt their call to politely ask the person behind the counter for the food they want. Honestly, I believe there are a lot of people who need a 12 step program more than they need a cell phone.

Bill B.

elbowz
04-20-2006, 08:38 PM
Run that by me again...

You won't have a converged device because they don't offer all the features of your PDA? How about the Universal - covers every base... and not noticeably bigger than a VGA screened PDA.

Converged devices are too big? Like the MDA Compact, about the same size as many smartphones (and dumb phones too for that matter) and so much more capable...

And of course so much variety in between.

Are converged devices more expensive? Not in the UK, a Dell Axim X51v is £315 - a MDA Pro (Universal) is £150 with a 12 month, £20pcm service contract that gives you a)unlimited data and b)free minutes and texts.

Sure there are reasons for keeping your existing two box setup - but in the main these are either financial or personal preference. In the Windows Mobile world, at least, its just not true to say that converged devices are less capable.

palur
04-20-2006, 08:41 PM
I want a converged device but should have the following
1) VGA screen
2) should be able to do powerpoint presentations
3) longer battery life so that I am not afraid to use ppc functions without fear of losing cell phone functionality.
Thanks

msafi
04-20-2006, 08:50 PM
I don't know what to vote for.

I use my Mio A701 for PDA, phone, camera, handheld GPS, encyclopedia and dictionary. 4GB iPod nano for audible.com and podcasts. Gameboy Micro for games.

i really want my phone to be everything, but it's too heavy and fragile to be used in the gym for audio and it can't play decent games. therefore i'm not completely converged, but i'm seriously trying...

jngold_me
04-20-2006, 08:58 PM
1) VGA screen
3) longer battery life so that I am not afraid to use ppc functions without fear of losing cell phone functionality.
Thanks

With the exception of vga (only on the universal) everything you mention above can be done on the latest gen of coverged devices. WM5 has built in read only support for powerpoint.

As for battery, processors like the OMAP, samsung, and even the x-scale are efficient enough to not worry about wearing the battery out. Screens are the culprit anyways.

kimylawson
04-20-2006, 10:31 PM
The only thing more I need from my pda is a thumbboard, and constant wifi connection. I just upgraded to the samsung a920 phone and between the two of them (axium51) I am in heaven. I can be on the phone and access programs that I could not if they where converged. one more thing, battery life. :wink:

rmasinag
04-20-2006, 10:45 PM
I just bought an iMate JAM and as an occasional use phone it's OK. But if you're a moderate phone user, I feel PPCPE's aren't mature yet. When I was on vacation I had to restart the sucker at least twice a day. But it could be wisbar advance 2 as the culprit!! :(

palur
04-20-2006, 11:13 PM
1) VGA screen
Thanks

With the exception of vga (only on the universal) everything you mention above can be done on the latest gen of coverged devices. WM5 has built in read only support for powerpoint.

As for battery, processors like the OMAP, samsung, and even the x-scale are efficient enough to not worry about wearing the battery out. Screens are the culprit anyways.
You are right. But I am looking for full support for ppt presentation like with Dell axim51v since most of the ppcphones with 2003se version were also able to read ppt.
Thanks

jngold_me
04-20-2006, 11:39 PM
1) VGA screen
Thanks

You are right. But I am looking for full support for ppt presentation like with Dell axim51v since most of the ppcphones with 2003se version were also able to read ppt.
Thanks

Yes, but not without a 3rd party application. I was referring to the fact that Powerpoint Mobile is new for WM5.

Janak Parekh
04-21-2006, 12:23 AM
* No vibrate alerts when in standby - this is still driving a good portion of the users nuts, especially since some of the MS devs say that it works. Can't have a Blackberry killer if you can't get notified quietly.
8O Are you talking about email alerts? I have my 700w on vibrate, and push works perfectly, the phone vibrates when it's on or on standby and I get new email. If you're referring to this, then I'd encourage you to start a new thread on this so it can be debugged further.

If you're talking about buggy alarms, that's another matter entirely.

--janak

Janak Parekh
04-21-2006, 12:26 AM
So... having read all the comments, and seen the poll, I see that the standalone folk are now officially a minority on PPCT, albeit a sizeable and vocal majority. I'm surprised and impressed, though, that 58% of the voting PPCT populace are into the concept of convergence.

I obviously have my bias about this, and if you've read my 700w review, you know. ;) I'm never going back to non-convergence. I'm glad that the options exist for the time being for the non-converged folk, but it will be very interesting to see how things play out from here.

--janak

Canuck
04-21-2006, 03:17 AM
Our company uses Blackberries, so while I tried to use a converged device I was told NO. So now I have a Blackberry and a x50v successfully tricked into using wm5. If I can only carry one... the phone wins. As much as I hate the Blackberry for being so unflexible, it has taught me that a thumboard and push email are more important than screen real estate. In an average work week all I need it is basically a data based device whether that data is a PIM, Cash Organizer, pdf, Excel or ebook. How many times a day are you running around and stop and say, 'I sure wish I could watch a full length movie right now, and only vga will do'? Not often.

Nothing beats getting the data you want when you want it, and that means no logging on through a phone to pull email, and no looking for wifi hotspots. But its expensive. The average phone bill for the Blackberry users in our shop is about $140 CAD a month ($120 USD). Of course, as already discussed, that's a Canadian thing... That leads into another issue of course, meaning that Microsoft has to get the Corporations to buy the devices for their employees, and most of these Corporations have already purchased Blackberry servers and devices. It's one thing to ask someone to marry you, another completely when they are already married to someone else.

If my work would let me buy a converged WM5 device and I'd ditch the Dell in a nano-second.

r@dimus
04-21-2006, 03:49 AM
No convergence for me, thank you. Been there, done that, don't care for it.

I did the convergence thing some time back with a Blackberry 6210. Aside from all it's faults (lousy built-in phone, lousy pre version 4 pim functions), the thing I hated the most was holding this brick of a thing to my ear. Then, because of its qwerty keyboard, it was very hard to use as a phone. The keys were near impossible to read in a car at night. When it was time for a new Blackberry I had them give me a 7780 with no voice plan and a Motorola V180 phone.

I've been kicking around PPC's since the HP Jornada 560, and had been using Palms before that. Currently I'm using a Dell X51v, so going to a PPC with a phone in it means accepting a fairly significant downgrade in hardware.

Besides, phones are disposable tech these days. Their UI is fairly mature after decades of development. I would also rather have physical, decently sized number key to press rather than the tiny ones on qwerty keypads or virtual ones on the touchscreens of pda phones.

Lastly, I like being able to use a pda as a notepad or for reference while talking on the phone. Yeah, I could do that with a Bluetooth geek muff (headset) but I'm not crazy about those either. The only geek muff I've come close to liking is the Jabra P800 for it's caller id display, but then again the thing is almost as big as most flip phones so why bother. Yeah, the ones without caller id are smaller but if I have to pick up phone to see who's calling then I might as well talk on it rather than put it down to pick up the geek muff. I guess if I was on the phone a lot a headset would make sense, but I'm not.

That's my beef with this convergence thing.

MG
04-21-2006, 04:19 AM
Wow! I made it through the first two pages of "convergence bashing" and decided I needed to post.... I have a Samsung i730. It is "fairly small", has a QVGA screen, a QWERTY keyboard, built in wifi, EVDO and thanks to the "unofficial" WM5 update, it's phone features are that much better. Why would I pay $200+ dollars for a decent phone and $300+ for a usable pda, then have to carry them both around all the time? I've got one device for $400 that is as good as ANY "diverged" units.
:soapbox:

Mark

Nurhisham Hussein
04-21-2006, 04:59 AM
True, true. But the Universal is not yet available in the U.S....

Sorry, but I was under the impression that is available as the Jasjar - was I wrong?

But back on topic, I'm with Stevehoward on this - I don't use a phone often enough to justify leaving all the other features that my PDA gives me for a convergence device. And no, even the Universal doesn't have all the features I want - apart from the VGA screen it doesn't have USB host, jog dial, CF slot, or 128MB RAM. That last requirement is my biggest disappointment with WM5 - I do actually need that much running memory for some of my stuff. I've yet to see a WM5 device that has more than 64MB. E-mail, sms, contacts integration - none of that is terribly important in my daily working life. I maybe get one phone call a day (from my wife), a couple of sms a week, and most of the e-mails I get have very little to do with work ( :lol: the highest volume is from topic reply notifications from this forum). What I want is a mobile computing platform in my pocket - a communications device is strictly optional. I take my PDA with me everywhere, but the phone sometimes gets left behind.

Janak Parekh
04-21-2006, 05:28 AM
I did the convergence thing some time back with a Blackberry 6210. Aside from all it's faults (lousy built-in phone, lousy pre version 4 pim functions), the thing I hated the most was holding this brick of a thing to my ear.
I've got a simple response for you: don't assume all Pocket PC Phones, or all convergence devices, feel like the 6210 against your ear. In fact, most Smartphones are literally candybars. The Treo is also very comfortable to hold.

--janak

Janak Parekh
04-21-2006, 05:29 AM
Sorry, but I was under the impression that is available as the Jasjar - was I wrong?
Only unlocked and unsubsidized (and therefore super-expensive). Plus it doesn't support GSM 850, nor EDGE, nor UMTS 1900. :(

--janak

crispeto
04-21-2006, 06:18 AM
I recently (a couple of months ago) bought the Tmobile SDA smartphone. I didn't know what I'd think since I was so used to my Axim X30. I found myself never using the X30 and using my SDA for everything. Right now I use it as my PDA, I have several Flintstones, I love Lucy's, StarWars, Lexipedia Encyclopedia, Wordbook dictionary, my MP3's, and the entire NIV bible all on a 1gig miniSD. The screen (though smaller) is fantastic and so much better than my X30. I love that it has Wifi. I team my SDA up with my stowaway bluetooth keyboard and emails and short docs have never been easier. The size is perfect and now I don't have to carry two devices. And to think you can get it for $29 AR with new activation, what a deal! Within the last couple of weeks, I have sold my X30 and have never looked back.

ctmagnus
04-21-2006, 06:19 AM
I still use an iPaq 5550 plus an SMT5600, but I've got my eye on a JAMin. Two devices is one too many imo.

Vaja: Get your iVolution cases for the JAMin out already! ;)

Nurhisham Hussein
04-21-2006, 07:35 AM
Only unlocked and unsubsidized (and therefore super-expensive).

Ah...in my country there's virtually no such thing as a subsidised or carrier locked phone. What subsidies there are are so low that nobody bothers buying phones from the carriers. The expense hasn't stopped anyone here from getting one - there's a quite a few Universal owners here - probably because it's in the right GSM and UMTS bands.

r@dimus
04-21-2006, 12:58 PM
I did the convergence thing some time back with a Blackberry 6210. Aside from all it's faults (lousy built-in phone, lousy pre version 4 pim functions), the thing I hated the most was holding this brick of a thing to my ear.
I've got a simple response for you: don't assume all Pocket PC Phones, or all convergence devices, feel like the 6210 against your ear. In fact, most Smartphones are literally candybars. The Treo is also very comfortable to hold.

--janak

I've checked out the Smart Phones, and I've tinkered around with a Treo. Don't like them. The screens are way too small and, just like the 6210, get face grease all over them when held to the ear. Since I don't like BT headsets I'll keep the phone.

SteveHoward999
04-21-2006, 01:47 PM
I team my SDA up with my stowaway bluetooth keyboard and emails and short docs have never been easier. The size is perfect and now I don't have to carry two devices.

But instead you carry one device and one keyboard .... that's like carrying two devices innit?

Jonathan1
04-21-2006, 02:16 PM
I will NEVER buy a PDA phone. If I spend a few hours reading an e-book, that I do often, I do not want to have 5 minutes of battery life on my phone. HP and Dell can discontinue support for the PPC. That is fine. I just won’t be buying anything else they offer.

Craig Horlacher
04-21-2006, 02:35 PM
For me, it looks like I'll be non-converged for a long time.

Many converged devices seem to have thumb keyboards which aren't for me. Also, every converged device I've seen has been light on hardware. For some reason the people making converged devices seem to think that 300MHz and a qvga (or worse, 240x240) screen is fine for anyone. I will never replace my pda with anything that has less then 480x640 resolution.

Microsoft operating systems have quirky sleep modes. Every MS os I've had on a laptop has had quirky issues if it doesn't get a real reboot once a week or so. I'm on my third windows ce based handheld and each one has had quirky problems related to alarms not going off or not handling programs correctly during sleep when they're running off a flash card. I don't want to worry about my phone being rebooted every week.

Then there is size and battery life. I want a phone that is small and I want good battery life. I think pocket pc's are a good size for what they are but I think they're (at least ones with a 480x640 screen) too big to be a phone. Also, I think pocket pc's do ok on battery life when they can be turned off but if a transciever has to be powered all the time to recieve calls forget it - there's not enough juice left for that in my opionion.

I'm picky with my pocket pc. There are few that come out that interest me. I want bluetooth, 802.11b, vga, jog dial (some form of side mounted scrooling/button control), no physical keyboard, and 128MB of RAM. I would probably take 64MB of RAM on a WM5 device but I won't take a WM5 device at this point because there are too many compatibilty problems. I've bought a ton of software and I want it to keep working. Windows Mobile 2003SE works fine for me. Only one major problem I know of with it and that's the fact that programs crash if they are running from a storage card and I turn it off and back on. That's extreamly annoying but I've learned to work with it - and this is one reason why it's important that I have 128MB of ram, so I can install the apps that I need to on "drive c:". A minor problem for me is that the alarms almost never go off at anywhere close to the right time. And even with these issues I love my pocket pc!

I can see why some people love converged devices and why they are right for many people but I don't think that they are right for me.

Almost forgot...I should mention that I have a gprs card for my pocket pc and have the unlimited data plan. I use the same account with my laptop and have an edge card for my laptop. I wish they made an edge card for the pocket pc:(

Jason Lee
04-21-2006, 02:37 PM
I will NEVER buy a PDA phone. If I spend a few hours reading an e-book, that I do often, I do not want to have 5 minutes of battery life on my phone. HP and Dell can discontinue support for the PPC. That is fine. I just won’t be buying anything else they offer.

I read a book last night for over an hour while media player was cranking my tunes through the stereo speakers and I bearly made a dent in the battery. I'm not exactly sure but it was less that 10%. That was with the backlight at the lowest setting (which is still to bright) volume at 35%.
I'm not trying to convert anyone, just sayin. I know there is no convincing people who don't want to be convinced.

Don't Panic!
04-21-2006, 04:02 PM
I'm "Converged, but honestly not too happy with it". I have yet to use a converged device that can handle a game like Flux Challenge decently. The d-pads just don't support enough directions. :cry:

Anyway I carry a non-converged Pocket PC for my game fixes as well as a PPCPE. So I'm converged but I still carry two devices. 0X

burtcom
04-21-2006, 04:57 PM
If I could get an unlocked converged device without spending boucoup bucks I would probably try it -- I really hate the idea of being tied to a carrier service that can disable features, etc.

Othwewise I'll stick with two devices, thank you

seanyleng
04-21-2006, 05:19 PM
i have the mda compact. cost me £70 second hand. axim x3 cost £30, and new 2006 tmob
compact 2 £100. i love them all but the compact is the one for me. it has everything except wifi, i may put the others up 4 sale as i want e-ten m600 or something like that. wifi,gps,wmob 5,bluetht,infrared,gprs, thats the new 1 for me. prices r from the road as we say in uk

alese
04-21-2006, 08:09 PM
... I don't want to worry about my phone being rebooted every week.

...Also, I think pocket pc's do ok on battery life when they can be turned off but if a transciever has to be powered all the time to recieve calls forget it - there's not enough juice left for that in my opionion.

You should try the device before you pass judgements.

The only time I reboot my converged device is when I'm playing with some new software or when I'm installing new ROM, othervise why would I reset the device - it works without any problems for weeks.

As for battery life, Phone Editions have easily better battery life than most non converged PPCs (with possible exception of iPAQ 4700 in some cases). Especially Dell x50v/51v can't compete in this area.

It's just funny how many people are dismissing the devices without really using them.

paschott
04-21-2006, 09:41 PM
8O Are you talking about email alerts? I have my 700w on vibrate, and push works perfectly, the phone vibrates when it's on or on standby and I get new email. If you're referring to this, then I'd encourage you to start a new thread on this so it can be debugged further.

If you're talking about buggy alarms, that's another matter entirely.

--janak

HTC Wizard experience only - no idea about other devices. I really like the wizard, but I have to check it to see if I have new e-mails. It should be able to vibrate when I have a new e-mail. The sound notifications work, but I don't like having to listen for a sound to tell me I have an e-mail and it's not always practical to enable sounds for e-mails (middle of a music rehearsal anyone?)

Seems to be a design or software issue with the Wizard in general. I haven't seen any resolution to the problem yet other than some options to not put the device in standby and just turn the screen off. While that works, people complain that the battery drains faster that way.

-Pete

Janak Parekh
04-22-2006, 06:57 AM
HTC Wizard experience only - no idea about other devices. I really like the wizard, but I have to check it to see if I have new e-mails. It should be able to vibrate when I have a new e-mail.
That's really weird -- that should not be the experience with the Wizard. Is this only with your test ROM? Or with the release ROM as well? Is the Inbox applet running in the foreground (if so, the notification will not fire by design)?

--janak

onesix18
04-22-2006, 12:18 PM
Hmmm...maybe I'm too easy to please, but I'm still quite happy with my HTC Blue Angel (1.5 years and counting). I'm definitely a convergence zealot--I don't ever see giving up the ability to use one device for so many things. And I really do use my device for multiple tasks (mainly phone, PIM, email, rss/web, voice memos, reminders and podcasts). The size doesn't bother me b/c I really can go all day with one thing in my pocket if necessary...no briefcase needed.

After all this time, my 2 main complaints are:

1) battery life - I carry my mobile charger if I have an overnight trip
2) there never has been a good keylock for this device. I use MortSaver but it still doesn't work quite right and drains my battery. Since I carry the phone 'naked' in my pocket, a good keylock is important to me. Why can't I get a keylock like the Treo? :(

vilasman
04-22-2006, 03:05 PM
If it is possible I would like to see a poll on how many people use there converged device or PPC at homeor for more than just business.
I have a 4705 and I use it to surf while watching tv, while pretending to listen to my wife, when I wake up in the am to check email and the weather,
I use it for all the non buisness related things that I would do with a wifi connected laptop,but it is oh so much smaller and easier to carry around and less conspicuos.
Perhaps converged devices should go forth as business tools, but the stand alone ppc is sort of life tool. I can have all of the facts and data that I would have to remember, all my entertainment, and the ability to go on the web and find whatever other information I might want. And it is with me, everywhere, all the time. Now sure you could do that with 240x240 screen but who would want to?

Also, having a phone , with you and on all the time, some people need to be accessible all the time. I wouldn't take such a job...well, I want kids, but aside from them I wouldn't take such a job. I like being not findabale.
Having a phone is like having a leash, and having one of those GPS, find you anywhere camera phones is great if you are having a heart attack, but short of that...

jsmcguir
04-22-2006, 06:16 PM
i will not converge. I don't want a stinking phone call to start flashing on my screen while i'm reading a book or playing my NES emulator or using the bible in church.

Jason Lee
04-23-2006, 01:30 AM
my convergent device is strictly personal. I refuse to give work my phone #. They do not pay for it. However they really don't mind because I do use the push email at work so anyone can get ahold of me instantly. My boss loves to show off to people. He says that he can email me and in a few seconds i'll walk through the door. Which I do if available. If not I tell him where i'm at. Nice and non intrusive like a phone call. it works well.

but my device is most definitely personal. I have a few cds and some tv shows on it. all my ebooks.
I am still on dialup at home because I live so far out but I have edge so I use my device for aaal email and internet while at home. I almost always read this forum from it. (i am right now.)
the occasional game the txts from my fiancé. my check book and access to my bank web to balance everything.. all in one device. If it ever breaks I am lost. lol :)

onesix18
04-23-2006, 10:05 AM
For the record I use my HTC Blue Angel for work and personal matters. My wife and I both use our cell phones as our only phone (no land line), and I also use mine for business purposes. My calendar, tasks, files, contats, etc., etc., etc., are all lumped together. My job is just one small piece of that thing called my 'life', and I see no need to segregate business/personal.

bmurphy
04-23-2006, 06:26 PM
:) I seem to fall into another catagory from the majority of posters- I was going to say- I don't work, but I raise horses and have multitude of chores outside. For anyone to get me- I have to remember to attach my cell phone. when I have any time, I like to keep my Axim x50v at hand, so I can go on with my reading. (the rest of the time indoors is taken up at my computers).
I have to agree with another poster- I like my phone tiny... and my reader at least 3.7 (VGA) screen size. I find that if my appointments don't make it to my computer/pda... I tend to forget and miss them :oops: I've had my Axim for a year now, and not had any of the problems that I've seen, and had been wondering if I should move to the x51v for more flash memory, but it looks like WM5 is problematic. right now I load everything on cards and keep as little as I can on the main memory!
Any of the converged (only one available to me- UTStarcom 6700), has too little screen, too little memory, and ... well to be truthfull, the little screen does it for me!)

hiatus
04-23-2006, 10:24 PM
two concerns with converged device

1. battery life, i dont want my phone to die because i do too much PIM

2. stability, i use a lot of programs and stuff and PDA just don't get that stable sometimes. and i would be upset if it makes my phone unstable too

Ed Hansberry
04-24-2006, 01:38 AM
Well, as of right now, 67% of you are converged or want to be converged, but what amazes me is over 1/3 don't want converged.

How many of you that don't want it have tried it? I must admit, when I was a two device guy, my iPAQ 2215 and Nokia 3650 phone, I was reluctant to go converged when I got a PDA2K. So reluctant, when I got the device, I kept it as a PDA for a few days, keeping my SIM in the Nokia. I was about ready to set up a BT partnership for GPRS access when I thought "what the heck, might as well try it for a few days." Stuck the SIM in and set up the GPRS configuration on the device, then did a few things that are impossible on a 2 device setup, I set up email sync to happen on a schedule, configured my RSS reader to auto-sync, etc.

After 4-5 hrs, I was astonished at the difference a Pocket PC Phone had over a Pocket PC + BT phone. Yeah, I know, wifi is faster, but WiFi isn't everywhere and it a battery killer.

I am not saying all of the 37% that like 2 devices would like a converged device, or that even most would, but I am willing to bet quite a few would, after 24 hrs, never ever consider going back to a 2 device solution.

Darius Wey
04-24-2006, 02:08 AM
After 4-5 hrs, I was astonished at the difference a Pocket PC Phone had over a Pocket PC + BT phone.

We're essentially in the same boat: ex-PDA + Nokia phone users, now converged device users. The experience is paramount, and I would never consider going back if I had to.

How many of you that don't want it have tried it?

Sounds worthy of another poll. I've been wanting to know the answer to this for a while now.

Phillip Dyson
04-24-2006, 11:38 AM
How many of you that don't want it have tried it?

I tried it and liked it. But eventually I went back to my smt5600 and e830. I just missed having the large VGA screen for heavy usage and calendar planning.

I guess what may be different for me then most is that I actually had a PDA and a Smartphone. There are occasions when I leave the PDA behind. The smartphone is very good for read access to my data.

I'm not really against convergence for myself. To be honest I'm torn. Part of me wants to go back, and I just might do it. Right now money is my limitation.

davea0511
04-24-2006, 02:25 PM

Lol yeah. It sucks when the phone you want isn't available.
Maybe we should start a petition.

I'm serious. If they saw how much business they're missing we might finally get a PPC phone that's worth buying.

paschott
04-24-2006, 06:09 PM
HTC Wizard experience only - no idea about other devices. I really like the wizard, but I have to check it to see if I have new e-mails. It should be able to vibrate when I have a new e-mail.
That's really weird -- that should not be the experience with the Wizard. Is this only with your test ROM? Or with the release ROM as well? Is the Inbox applet running in the foreground (if so, the notification will not fire by design)?

--janak

It's with every ROM I've tried - release (Cingular 8125) and the updated version put out by someone else. As noted - I'm not alone in this one. Sound notifications work fine for all. Vibrate for incoming calls works fine. Vibrate for e-mails - nothing.

Tried with Inbox running and not running -foreground/background - didn't make a difference. Only time I get vibrate for e-mail is when the device is not in standby and that pretty much defeats the purpose.

-Pete

Janak Parekh
04-24-2006, 10:32 PM
I guess what may be different for me then most is that I actually had a PDA and a Smartphone.
Or, to be precise, the Smartphone is a PDA in its own right... so you could argue you're working at two different levels of convergence. :)

--janak

Phillip Dyson
04-25-2006, 01:45 AM
I guess what may be different for me then most is that I actually had a PDA and a Smartphone.
Or, to be precise, the Smartphone is a PDA in its own right... so you could argue you're working at two different levels of convergence. :)

--janak

True, true.
Of course all those QWERTY smartphones coming out only confuse the matter.

I'm pretty sure my next PDA wont be a stand-alone. The one question in my mind is Phone Edition, or QWERTY smartphone. If the latter then I will still carry my e830. Hmm... come to think of it probably the former to some degree too.

You can see my dilemma.

Jason Lee
04-25-2006, 01:52 AM
so, just out of curiosity I set my k-jam to vibrate and sent myself an email. With the device at the today screen and the unit off (standby) the direct push got the email and the light started blinking but no vibrate... odd that...

Ed Hansberry
04-25-2006, 03:39 AM
so, just out of curiosity I set my k-jam to vibrate and sent myself an email. With the device at the today screen and the unit off (standby) the direct push got the email and the light started blinking but no vibrate... odd that...
Ditto. It is clearly a bug in the core Wizard ROM.

Janak Parekh
04-25-2006, 04:52 AM
Hmm. That's really really lame. :(

--janak

paschott
04-25-2006, 06:53 AM
Hmm. That's really really lame. :(

--janak

Tell me about it - the one thing I really don't like about the device. I'm not planning to trade it in anytime soon, but I do wish they could figure out the cause for that problem and fix it. It's not nearly as big a deal as it used to be with me being in production support, but it's still hard for me to recommend the device when the e-mail notifications don't work as expected. Almost everyone I know with a blackberry has them set to vibrate. (Generally a good thing. :) )

-Pete

Janak Parekh
04-25-2006, 03:44 PM
Tell me about it - the one thing I really don't like about the device. I'm not planning to trade it in anytime soon, but I do wish they could figure out the cause for that problem and fix it. It's not nearly as big a deal as it used to be with me being in production support, but it's still hard for me to recommend the device when the e-mail notifications don't work as expected. Almost everyone I know with a blackberry has them set to vibrate. (Generally a good thing. :) )
Yes. The 700w does this as it's supposed to, so it's not a WM thing.

--janak