View Full Version : Acer N311 bad wifi reception

epson
04-18-2006, 09:32 PM
If I compare to a Ipaq 6950 or a Dell Axim X30, the WIFI reception is VERY VERY bad...
I have the DUTCH Rom version, and in several reviews I saw that in the English version there is a setting for WIFI power safe.
In my version (also .15) there is an empty space instead...

I cant set it to disable. I was thinking if it was possible that this causes the bad reception...

What are your experiences?

Thanks

hamishmacdonald
04-18-2006, 10:43 PM
Hm. I'm not noticing the Acer to be any different to my previous Pocket PCs. (In fact, it's more stable, since I used to have Bluetooth/WiFi conflicts on my Asus A730W that I don't have now).

I can connect from my livingroom to the access point in my bedroom without any problems. It's not far, with few walls in-between, so it's not much of a test.

Godsongz
04-20-2006, 04:35 PM
This is my first PDA with WiFi, so I don't have a direct comparison. The Acer's range is not as long at my HP Tablet or my Sony Laptop, but it does reach everywhere in my house nonetheless. The tablet and laptop actually have good reception out to the corners of my property, which is cool, but honestly I don't often need internet access at my (snail)mailbox.

I have left the WiFi radio on and run WiFiFoFum during my drive to/from work and picked up 20+ access points in between (most of them wide open and unprotected, silly silly people). The radio can't be all that weak if the Acer functions ar a war-driving tool.

Where is the option for WiFi power save supposed to be anyway?

terencek888
04-22-2006, 03:46 AM
If I compare to a Ipaq 6950 or a Dell Axim X30, the WIFI reception is VERY VERY bad...
I have the DUTCH Rom version, and in several reviews I saw that in the English version there is a setting for WIFI power safe.
In my version (also .15) there is an empty space instead...

I cant set it to disable. I was thinking if it was possible that this causes the bad reception...

What are your experiences?

Thanks

The n311 indeed has a weaker Wifi reception but I wouldn't call it very bad. I dont have a problem connecting to my home access point anywhere in the house but I did experience problem couple of times connecting to public wifi hotspots.

I couldnt find the power safe option that you mention. Perhaps you can share where it is.