View Full Version : Email setup for syncing with PC and transmitting while away

jks206
04-18-2006, 03:20 PM
Sorry if this is a basic question. Just traded in my Treo for a PPC-6700 with Sprint. So far, the basic setup has been easy. I have my mail set up to sync with outlook on my computer, and I now want to set it up to send and receive messages while I'm away. On my palm, I had to have two separate programs, and it made life difficult, getting the same messages at the office that I had already gotten while I was away, sent messages in different spots, etc.

Anyway, I don't have Enterprise. We have POP3 mail accounts. I have this sinking feeling I'm going to be told that I can't sync with my PC and send/receive while out of the office from the same account. Hopefully I'm wrong. Just seems like this shouldn't be that difficult, and it would be a huge benefit.

Well, please help if you can. If not, just tell me that I need to set up separate accounts to communicate while out of the office, do things like copy myself, and have multiple sets of e-mails running around.

Cybrid
04-19-2006, 04:49 AM
Sorry if this is a basic question. Just traded in my Treo for a PPC-6700 with Sprint. So far, the basic setup has been easy. I have my mail set up to sync with outlook on my computer, and I now want to set it up to send and receive messages while I'm away. On my palm, I had to have two separate programs, and it made life difficult, getting the same messages at the office that I had already gotten while I was away, sent messages in different spots, etc.

Anyway, I don't have Enterprise. We have POP3 mail accounts. I have this sinking feeling I'm going to be told that I can't sync with my PC and send/receive while out of the office from the same account. Hopefully I'm wrong. Just seems like this shouldn't be that difficult, and it would be a huge benefit.

Well, please help if you can. If not, just tell me that I need to set up separate accounts to communicate while out of the office, do things like copy myself, and have multiple sets of e-mails running around. One word? Titanic! :)
Basically I think you have a misconception of POP mail access. Not that my explanation will be better....:?:
When Outlook/Palm desktop downloads (PC) and syncs (PC/auxiliary) and you download directly (PDA) basically the message is duplicated to both PC + PC/auxiliary and PDA. So you get duplication.

You could:
eliminate the inbox sync
PC and PDA would be downloading separately but have the same messages. If you like/need to archive messages, then make sure the PDA is set not to delete messages from the server.
If you don't need that and set the PDA to delete messages from the server...The message isn't even duplicated on the PC either. The problem there is... if its an email you wanted to view on the PC later, it's gone.

jks206
04-19-2006, 05:38 PM
That all makes sense. I think I understand how POP access works, and that it is downloading messages to my PC, syncing them over to my PDA, and they are in two places. And I can delete from my PDA, etc., and when I sync again it makes the corresponding deletions on my PC.

It just seems that I should be able to download the mail from my POP account to my PDA to that same account, delete it from the server at that time, then when I sync have that new message duplicated over to my PC. But, as near as I can tell, I can't do that. My outlook folders on my phone won't send/receive on their own. I can set up a separate account that pulls the POP account messages down to my phone, but into a separate inbox. It just seems that I should be able to pull them into the same folder and have the sync be a two-say sync that brings both up to date.

Right now, I pull them down on my PDA into a separate account, leave them on the server, then my PC downloads the same messages into my inbox, which ultimately gets synced to my PDA. Gives me access to new messages while on the go while maintaining a consolidated record. But I have to manage them twice.

Of course, the bigger issue is that I'm getting this freaking error message after about 3 syncs on WM5.0, and have to do a hard reset to get it working again. Sounds like a common problem, now that I'm looking into it. Support code 0x86000209. Love to hear if you have any thoughts there.

Cybrid
04-20-2006, 05:55 AM
. Support code 0x86000209. Love to hear if you have any thoughts there. Nope. Sorry :(

As I said;

in activesync stop the inbox sync.
That eliminates the synced folder from having to be managed. You now only have PC folder and the directly synced folder to manage. 33% discount.
Delete only items that you are sure are unrequired. That way only useful mail is downloaded to the PC.

A lot less work.

jks206
04-20-2006, 02:55 PM
Sorry if I'm being remedial. I think you're saying not to sync my computer inbox to the phone, then I'll just have the inbox on my PC and the inbox on my phone that grabs messages while I'm away. Not sure how that helps. Having the PC inbox on by phone doesn't cause any work. I could just not look at it if that's what I wanted.

I use my phone to go through emails, delete, etc. while I'm away, so I wouldn't want to lose that. And this doesn't do anything to keep me from managing files twice. And it doesn't do anything to put sent messages in one spot.

I'm just trying to figure out if the darn thing will download/upload directly to/from the phone and sync things to the computer, just like it will the other way, from the same account. I think I'm hearing that it won't. If not, I can manage the multiple e-mails, I've been doing it for years with my old Palm device. It's just kind of silly to have to do that when it's something that could seemingly be dealt with fairly easily.

Cybrid
04-23-2006, 05:57 AM
Sorry if I'm being remedial. I think you're saying not to sync my computer inbox to the phone, then I'll just have the inbox on my PC and the inbox on my phone that grabs messages while I'm away. Not sure how that helps. Having the PC inbox on by phone doesn't cause any work. I could just not look at it if that's what I wanted.

I use my phone to go through emails, delete, etc. while I'm away, so I wouldn't want to lose that. And this doesn't do anything to keep me from managing files twice. And it doesn't do anything to put sent messages in one spot.

I'm just trying to figure out if the darn thing will download/upload directly to/from the phone and sync things to the computer, just like it will the other way, from the same account. I think I'm hearing that it won't. If not, I can manage the multiple e-mails, I've been doing it for years with my old Palm device. It's just kind of silly to have to do that when it's something that could seemingly be dealt with fairly easily.Well, yes . That sums it up. Only you could do most of you email from the PDA and go to Outlook as needed only.
Alternatively theres Exchange servers or Emoze. I haven't tried those though.