View Full Version : issues with dell x50v draining itself

kaitanium
04-18-2006, 02:24 AM
whew! its been so long since ive here in the ppc community and i have been out of it.

anyone experienced their batteryd ischarging themselves on their x50v? any known fixes? this has happened twice already for me. both times battery was at about 80% then next thing you know it, my device wouldnt turn on, and when it was cradled it would show 0% battery.

Darius Wey
04-18-2006, 03:50 AM
Are you running Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition or Windows Mobile 5.0?

Anyway, a few things to check:

(1) Turn off Wi-Fi and Bluetooth when not in use.

(2) Remove any power-hungry card accessories from the device when not in use (e.g. GPS add-ons, cameras, etc.). Exclude memory cards from this category.

(3) Check to see you don't have any applications or plug-ins running in the background that are set to auto-update from the internet every X minutes. These have the potential to wake the device from standby mode unnecessarily, thus draining your battery.

jayson
04-18-2006, 04:46 PM
Hey,

I've had the same problem with my Axim X51v and i fixed it by installing the newest update for mine. I had an A01, when there was an A06. I don't know if there are any X50v updates, But my battery was draining each day. And you know what else works really good. Turn off you Axim Fully. You can easily do that by going to settings and making it so when you hold the power button, it shuts it off fully. So the battery didn't drain when i did that. Sometimes i still do that just to be safe. but the alarms don't go off :( .

Jayson

kaitanium
04-19-2006, 03:40 AM
running windows mobile 5. i knew i shouldnt have upgraded but i did anyways. does this persistent storage thing matter? man i dunno what can be draining it so fast. no bkg apps

shutting off fully? so it restarts everytime you turn it back on?

Darius Wey
04-19-2006, 05:43 AM
Unfortunately, no ROM updates have been issued for the Windows Mobile 5.0-based X50v. And the complete shutdown isn't available for it either.

Perhaps we can start by looking at the applications you have installed (refer to your Remove Programs list), and any card add-ons you use. Mind listing them here? :)

ppcinfo
04-19-2006, 05:51 AM
For WM 5 OS devices, the biggest battery drain culprit is the Today Screen or Nav Bar battery monitor apps. If these apps poll for battery levels frequently, it will drain your battery fast. So, I suggest you deactivate such plugins or apps if you have them installed and see if that helps.

ppcinfo

kaitanium
04-19-2006, 06:52 PM
ive had two accounts of memory corruption already where the device needed to be hard reset (after upgrading to wm5). so my device is pretty clean right now. i only have spb pocket plus (yes with that battery meter on) and finance.

my roomate also has an upgrade x50v and did tell me that the battery meter drains. BUT my device does step down to 104mhz automatically (i heard this was a problem on some devices too) so does this drain the battery even if off? i left the meter running and the device off overnight...battery still at 98% so i dunno. if it were true that the battery meter drains my battery while the device is off, then this morning my battery level should be at like 40% or even dead already.

i dont mind so much the battery draining while on, since i have two batteries and since i can check my battery levels. its just annoying when i want to use it and find the device doesnt turn on anymore.

Darius Wey
04-20-2006, 04:30 AM
iso does this drain the battery even if off?

It shouldn't, though I should ask which version of Pocket Plus you're running? There was an old version which absolutely sucked the battery dry, though that has since been rectified.

kaitanium
04-20-2006, 04:52 PM
i have the latest version. my device seems ok for now, hasnt drained itself in the past 2 days.

only problem now is that sometimes device wont turn on without a stupid soft reset

Darius Wey
04-20-2006, 06:13 PM
only problem now is that sometimes device wont turn on without a stupid soft reset

Unfortunately, that's due to Dell's implementation of Windows Mobile 5.0 on the X50/X50v. :(

Edit: This (http://www.aximsite.com/boards/showthread.php?t=112638) may be worth reading.

kaitanium
04-26-2006, 04:56 AM
ok problems corrected itself. i guess it was a fluke of the battery or something.

BUT

now when i play a file on windows media, nothign comes out of the speaker, on my headphones. is this a known problem?

kaitanium
04-29-2006, 06:46 AM
ok i give up. all this random memory corruption and the device not turning on...im going back to 2003se.

tintinvn
06-02-2006, 09:54 AM
Hi all,

I got a new Dell Axim x51v two weeks ago. It's been working quite well until yesterday afternoon. The problem is that reminder function in Task (both message and sound) does not work any more. I checked Notification/Sound and reminder setting but there is no improvement. Besides, since this problem's happended, the green light (power button) also flash rapidly (indicate notification relay status - as said in Dell manual).

Anyone can help me out of this? Thank you very much for your support.

Regards,
Tintinvn