View Full Version : Please vote

ombu
04-15-2006, 01:37 AM
Here's the case, I own a 2210 and IMHO it's a great device but a few months ago my SanDisk combo CF card (128+, mem and WiFi) broke and although it was a PITA because there was no on/off for the radio but inserting/pulling the card, I really miss checking email at hot-spots (not browsing) so right now I've got two and only two choices (it's a long story):

1.- Keep the 2210 and maybe get a new WiFi card in the near future, or:

2.- Buy the HP rx 1950 (integrated WiFi)

I know the latter lacks RAM and speed but that's compared with newer devices, the 2210 is two OS releases away, but maybe a change could be a bad decission so please answer the poll and post your thoughts here if possible.

I use my PPC mainly for PIM, e-mail and some Excel little sheets and would like to run PhatPad and Handbase.

Regards.

asims
04-15-2006, 04:25 AM
Hi, ombu!

Have you done much research on the rx1950? I found a couple of reviews that gave it high marks. However, you've probably had your 2210 for quite a while and have gotten used to dual memory slots. I noticed the rx comes with WM5, WiFi, only a SD slot and will run you around $300. For about $50 more, you could get the hx2490/2495, which has both CF and SD memory slots, WiFi, and Bluetooth. I've had mine for close to two months and am really enjoying it (the one before this one was a 2215). In fact, the only negative I'm having with it is with WM5.

If you truly can only choose between the rx1950 and the 2210, I would stick with the 2210. I think the only issue I ever had with mine (2210 and 2215 are virtually the same) was the side grips coming off. Other than that, it's a great ppc!

Cheers!

ombu
04-15-2006, 04:47 AM
If you truly can only choose between the rx1950 and the 2210
Hi asims,

Sadly that's the truth, for now ... :(

I agree all the way with your 2210(2215) remarks, it's just great.

Talking about mem slots, I wouldn't miss the CF one because I used it only for the WiFi card because I have a 1MB SD card in the other slot.

Thanks a lot for posting.

Cheers.

clbsvi
04-15-2006, 08:21 PM
I suggest you look at the iPAQ hx2495 (2400 Series) for about $285 to $350 US, new in the box. I got mine in Dec 2005 from the local Circuit City for $325, w/ $35 CC gift card thrown in, and it works great. Downside: BlueTooth really, really >>sucks<<. WiFi works great. The built-in Wi-Fi/BT control screen doubles as a great Wi-Fi hotspot locator. This device accepted my Kingston 512MB Compact Flash card from a previous iPAQ 3675 without any problems. As noted in other forums, WM5 is slow and buggy. I may try to move this device to WM 2003, just for increased stability and system "speed-up." I looked at an iPAQ 2210/2215 before buying this little jewel, but decided WM5 and built-in BT and WiFi were worth the change-over. I do a soft-reset about once a week, but have never had to do a hard-reset. Best of luck ! !

ombu
04-17-2006, 06:24 PM
Thanks clbsvi.

ombu
05-03-2006, 04:44 AM
Got a "used" Symbol CF card, cheap and GREAT, Skype and wireless e-mail checking are back, my 2210 looks younger and I'm "connected" again even without using my cel-phone carrier, I think I have everything I need from my PDA, I mean I've got everything a PDA can give to me, but the fancy feeling that comes with that lovely new-gadget-smell :wink: , so, ...

... my X-box 360 is on it's way home ... :devilboy:

... and maybe, just maybe, a new PPC for Xmas.

Regards.

Menneisyys
05-03-2006, 07:41 AM
Have you done much research on the rx1950? I found a couple of reviews that gave it high marks.

... in the low-end category... the rx1950 is barely comparable to the 2210, free memory-wise. Of course, it has Wi-Fi, a better form factor, a much better screen and WM5, but I'd still go for the 2210 to avoid running into memory problems and to have BT and a CF slot built-in.

However, you've probably had your 2210 for quite a while and have gotten used to dual memory slots.

The 2210 has other advantages over the rx1950 - CIR, much more memory for programs, BT. If you don't absolutely need WM5 and Wi-Fi and can live with the sub-par screen, it may be a much better and cheaper choice than the rx1950.