View Full Version : Problems Synchronizing Atom to PC

Adiemus
04-11-2006, 09:54 AM
Hi There,

I've recently bought an atom and a 2Gb mini sd card and can download music and other programs to the atom, but I cannot get it to synchronize with my PC or laptop.

It shows that it is connected and is trying to synchronize but nothing ever happens.

Has anyone experienced this before??

Any help would be appreciated as I cannot backup my appts or programs etc... in order to download rom patches for the atom.

Thanks.

Darius Wey
04-11-2006, 10:03 AM
Welcome to Pocket PC Thoughts. :)

Quite often, Windows Mobile 5.0-related sync issues are due to poorly configured firewalls and/or network settings. Check out this troubleshooting guide (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/help/activesync/default.mspx) and see if it's of any help.

Adiemus
04-11-2006, 12:28 PM
Thanks for your help, I am currently trying the link you suggested and will let you know how it goes. :)

Adiemus
04-11-2006, 02:03 PM
After going through the motions of my Atom supposedly synchronizing and looking for changes, it still tells me that it can' synchronize. The result reads something to the effect of, it is having trouble connecting to the server.

Any ideas??

Would uninstalling and re-installing help??

Thanks

Darius Wey
04-11-2006, 05:19 PM
After going through the motions of my Atom supposedly synchronizing and looking for changes, it still tells me that it can' synchronize. The result reads something to the effect of, it is having trouble connecting to the server.

Is there an error code?

You can try uninstalling and reinstalling ActiveSync, if you've already exhausted all options in that troubleshooting guide - though nine times out of ten, it's firewall or network related, so even if you think you've checked every possibility in the guide, triple check just to make sure.

Adiemus
04-12-2006, 12:45 PM
Thanks for your patience and help - you were right! it was the firewall. Even though I had allowed everything it still did not synchronize until I had shut down zonealarm. Once I did this I successfully synchronized and updated everything.

Thanks again. :D

Darius Wey
04-12-2006, 12:54 PM
Thanks for your patience and help - you were right! it was the firewall. Even though I had allowed everything it still did not synchronize until I had shut down zonealarm. Once I did this I successfully synchronized and updated everything.

Great! Glad you got it working.

Although, you may want to tackle the solution a little more. While disabling the firewall is a great short-term solution, it will make your computer more susceptible to attacks if you have an always-on internet connection. If you can get ZoneAlarm (or some other software firewall) properly configured to play nicely with ActiveSync, then you can sync away in a worry-free environment. I guess it's not an immediate priority, but definitely attend to this when you have some spare time up your sleeve. Enjoy your new Atom! :)