View Full Version : Activesync and data transfers & Outlook with Loox N5 series ?

Searcher22
04-11-2006, 01:08 AM
Hi All

In researching and reading up about my impending purchase of the N560 I have come across something that I would welcome some software user feedback on?

My plans at the moment are not to use the N560 as fully sync'ed unit with my desktop i.e. I do not need to maintain emails etc in sync between them.

Activesync AFAIK does two jobs, (1) it allows the simple connection for the PDA and the desktop for data transfer i.e. shifting files or installing new software on the PDA & (2) the sync to Outlook.

The sort of situations I am refering to in (1) is installing the Sat Nav CoPilot6 software ; copying/moving a Word doc from PDA to desktop ; copying an Excel sheet from the desktop to the PDA.

So, as I am not going to use Outlook on my desktop (I love the lean simplicity of Outlook Express as my email client) have I understood Activesync correctly in that I will still be able to connect the PDA for data transfers and other non MS sync related usage?

TIA for any feedback :)

Darius Wey
04-11-2006, 01:40 AM
The sort of situations I am refering to in (1) is installing the Sat Nav CoPilot6 software ; copying/moving a Word doc from PDA to desktop ; copying an Excel sheet from the desktop to the PDA.

So, as I am not going to use Outlook on my desktop (I love the lean simplicity of Outlook Express as my email client) have I understood Activesync correctly in that I will still be able to connect the PDA for data transfers and other non MS sync related usage?

Yes, you've understood correctly. Program installation, file syncing, and Office document transfers can all work independently of Outlook. For all calendar, contact, task, notes, and some aspects of messaging functionality, Outlook is required. It ships with every new Pocket PC.

Searcher22
04-11-2006, 09:31 AM
Hi Darius

Many thanks for confirming that.

Yes, one day I may use the full sync capability of Outlook but what I did not want to do was install Outlook on my main desktop when I currently have no need of it just to be able to 'link' the N560 for other data transfer purposes.

The assumption in the N560 quick guide that I downloaded is that everyone will use Outlook fully & they say you must install it after Activesync to link the PDA to the desktop, hence my question and confusion.

:)