View Full Version : Playing MPEG4 on my desktop from my Verizon 6700

franky14
04-10-2006, 02:26 AM
Hello,

I am new here nad I am sure this has been discussed before but here s my question:

I just received my Verizon 6700 Pocket PC. When I transfer the Mpeg 4 video files from the pocket PC to my desktop, I lose all sound from the video clip. I have downloaded every codec possable (It feels like). I just download winamp 5.? and still nothing with sound but I have video. I never upgraded to windows media player 10 though. I placed the video clip on a laptop tha tI have with WMP 10 and it does not play at all. I move the file to another laptop and it does not play in WMP 10 but it plays great in QuickTime. I down load the lastest version of Quicktime to my desktop and still video but no sound! Can someone please tell me what I am missing?????

Thanks!

manywhere
04-10-2006, 12:55 PM
You are apparently missing VLC (http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html). It worked for me, and I hope it works for you too! ;)

GSmith
04-10-2006, 02:42 PM
VLC is the name of an application that can play a wide variety of formats. I have never tried it on the desktop.

What you are likely missing, more precisely, is the proper audio codec. You hopefully are seeing some error message regarding the applications' inability to decode the audio. Go into the application with the media loaded and look for "more info" or "media info" or some other menu item in the application that might tell you how the audio is encoded.

There are a variety of audio codecs that cannot be played on a desktop without the correct decoder, including Sorenson (I believe that is an audio coded) and AAC.

If only you asked how to play it back on your Pocket PC, then I'd have a better answer ;-)

Greg Smith
Author, FeederReader - Pocket PC *direct* RSS text, audio, video, podcasts
www.FeederReader.com - Download on the Road

Nurhisham Hussein
04-11-2006, 04:36 PM
VLC is the name of an application that can play a wide variety of formats. I have never tried it on the desktop.

It's actually pretty good - it'll play stuff that other players have trouble with. I wish they'd update the GUI and ergonomics though - it's a little unfriendly, especially the playlist and in using keyboard shortcuts.