View Full Version : Can u connect to a PC wirelessly and use the broadband

LIBNAN
04-09-2006, 02:25 AM
I have a PDA that has wireless capabilities and i am thinking of buying a D-Link DWL-G132 802.11g USB Wireless Network Adapter to connect to my PC. My PC is connected to a router with a LAN cable. Is it possible to stablish a connection to the PC and get access to the Internet.

Darius Wey
04-09-2006, 03:18 AM
Welcome to Pocket PC Thoughts.

Is that router wireless-enabled? I wouldn't mess with USB wireless adapters if I were you. Creating ad-hoc wireless networks between your PC and Pocket PC can be a real mess, thus it's far easier to leave the USB adapter out of the equation and instead manage it via a wireless router.

Typical usage scenario would be: (1) PC connected to router via a standard ethernet cable, (2) Pocket PC connects to router wirelessly, and (3) both the PC and Pocket PC tap on the same WAN (i.e. internet access).

LIBNAN
04-09-2006, 03:20 PM
No the router isn't wireless enabled. will it work if i do get the usb thing.
or is there a way to make my router so it is wireless ready. something that will go in the cable slot so i can connect wireless.

its a netcom that can connect to 4 computers. getting a new wireless router isn't an option because i have to get wireless cards for each computer. technology gets me angry. wasting too much money for something that will be obsolete in 2 months

thanks for the reply.

Darius Wey
04-09-2006, 04:13 PM
No the router isn't wireless enabled. will it work if i do get the usb thing.

Yes, but it's a pain to configure - and besides, ad-hoc networks aren't the most stable of things.

or is there a way to make my router so it is wireless ready. something that will go in the cable slot so i can connect wireless.

Not really. The best way is to replace your existing router for a wireless one. From there, connecting your Pocket PC to the router and accessing the internet is a walk in the park.

its a netcom that can connect to 4 computers. getting a new wireless router isn't an option because i have to get wireless cards for each computer. technology gets me angry. wasting too much money for something that will be obsolete in 2 months

Most wireless routers include 4 LAN ports, so you can still connect those computers via ethernet cables if need be.

LIBNAN
04-10-2006, 04:55 AM
Thank you very much you have been a big help. i understand how frustrating it will be if i do get the USB thing. i will get the wireless router.

thank you.

Pocketjumper
04-10-2006, 11:39 AM
I would suggest the ever popular Linksys WRT54G, and its Linux-based brother, the WRT54GL as good routers. I use one myself, and it has been the most reliable and dependable router ever.

Age2003
04-26-2006, 02:10 AM
Not really. The best way is to replace your existing router for a wireless one. From there, connecting your Pocket PC to the router and accessing the internet is a walk in the park.

I'm glad you say it's a walk in the park although i'm at a loss at the moment.

I recently started using my HP Ipaq h5500 as we've just setup a wireless network at home between my computer and the one downstairs. Downstairs has the "Linksys Wireless-G ADSL Gateway" (WAG54GS) and my computer connects to that via the "Wireless-G USB Network Adaptor" (WUSB54GS).

Anyway so the network is up and running great and my PDA detects the network however after connecting i get an error when i try and load a webpage with IE.

So i wanted to ask how do i contect it to the access point and recieve an internet connection?

Thanks for reading :)

Darius Wey
04-26-2006, 02:48 AM
Welcome to Pocket PC Thoughts. :)

Anyway so the network is up and running great and my PDA detects the network however after connecting i get an error when i try and load a webpage with IE.

What sort of error do you get? Is your wireless network encrypted, and if so, what sort of encryption? Higher encryption standards such as WPA and WPA2 may not work with your PDA, so if you're experiencing problems connecting, try dropping it down to WEP.

Nurhisham Hussein
04-26-2006, 02:49 AM
You might want to check your router settings for which mode it's in - the iPaq only has 802.11b whereas your router is 802.11g. You need to set your router to auto or b/g mode.

Age2003
04-26-2006, 11:09 PM
You might want to check your router settings for which mode it's in - the iPaq only has 802.11b whereas your router is 802.11g. You need to set your router to auto or b/g mode.

It's setup to Mixed so it's alright there. :)

Age2003
04-26-2006, 11:43 PM
Welcome to Pocket PC Thoughts. :)

What sort of error do you get? Is your wireless network encrypted, and if so, what sort of encryption? Higher encryption standards such as WPA and WPA2 may not work with your PDA, so if you're experiencing problems connecting, try dropping it down to WEP.

Thanks very much :D

The error message i get is: "The page you are looking for cannot be found".

While reading around yesterday i remembered that our wireless network is setup as WPA Personal, and that the PDA only accepts WEP (64bit if i remember rightly). So i changed the encryption on the network and now when i connect it shows the signal bars for the network card at the top.

But i'm still getting the Internet error.

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly :D

Darius Wey
04-27-2006, 03:49 AM
While reading around yesterday i remembered that our wireless network is setup as WPA Personal, and that the PDA only accepts WEP (64bit if i remember rightly). So i changed the encryption on the network and now when i connect it shows the signal bars for the network card at the top.

Great. Leave it on WEP for now.

But i'm still getting the Internet error.

This could be because your PDA doesn't have a valid IP address. Have you configured your router to automatically assign IP addresses? Or are you manually distributing them yourself?

jerrynys
04-27-2006, 08:46 AM
i also had same problem with Age2003.me also cannot connect to IE by my iPAQ.it will tell me page not found.then just like Darius Wey say change the encryption to WEP.me changed it to WEP 64-bit.then now i try to connect to IE but same problem i solve is cannot find the page.please some1 can help me.thank you very much

Nurhisham Hussein
04-27-2006, 10:05 AM
jerry - you have already opened a topic on your problem, there is no need to cross post in somebody else's. I have already posted a reply in your topic.

jerrynys
04-27-2006, 02:06 PM
thank u hishamh...

Age2003
04-27-2006, 02:37 PM
This could be because your PDA doesn't have a valid IP address. Have you configured your router to automatically assign IP addresses? Or are you manually distributing them yourself?

Cool. Well as far as i can recall it's setup to automatic assigning but i can't remember where to go to check. :lol: Typical eh?

I wonder if it could be something wrong with the iPAQ connection settings also? :?:

Darius Wey
04-27-2006, 03:33 PM
Cool. Well as far as i can recall it's setup to automatic assigning but i can't remember where to go to check. :lol: Typical eh?

Unfortunately, you'll have to consult your manual for instructions on that one. I have the D-Link router UI in my head, not the Linksys one. :(

I wonder if it could be something wrong with the iPAQ connection settings also? :?:

It's possible. If you've played around with the device's connection settings before, then there's a chance that an old setting is 'breaking' the connection.