View Full Version : Dealing With Rebates: Ever Get Burned?

Jason Dunn
04-06-2006, 09:30 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://news.com.com/18+weeks+in+Amazon+rebate+hell/2100-1038-6058278.html?part=dht&tag=nl.e703' target='_blank'>http://news.com.com/18+weeks+in+Ama...dht&tag=nl.e703</a><br /><br /></div><i>"When I knew what I wanted, I went straight to Amazon.com. I knew the shopping giant offered super-duper rebates for buying a cell phone with new wireless service (that's how I bought my last phone). Plus, I didn't have to deal with salespeople. The phone cost about $150. But Amazon offered a full rebate with the purchase of a new, one-year wireless contract for $39.99 or more. Choosing a carrier plan was fairly simple, given that only Cingular carried the Razr at the time, apart from my then-carrier TMobile. Staying with TMobile would have precluded the rebate. I bought the package on Nov. 28, 2005, and immediately applied for the rebate on Amazon's site. Then all I had to do was wait for that surprise check in my mailbox. I'm still waiting."</i><br /><br />Does that story sound familiar to you? It's probably happened to all of us at one point or another: being trapped in rebate hell. The reason why rebates are so common in North America is that the vast majority of rebates never get submitted - people buy the $99 with a $30 rebate and they forget to submit it, and the company with the $99 product laughs all the way to the bank. Sometimes though, as this article points out, even when you follow all the rules and jump through all the hoops, you're still stuck waiting for a long time. <br /><br />I've just recently had my first bad rebate experience: I'm meticulous about filing rebates, and have always gotten my money, until this incident: I purchased a Fujitsu N6620 (17" wide screen laptop) and there was a $100 USD rebate on it. I filled out the paperwork, cut out the UPC code from the box, and sent everything in a few days after getting the laptop. Some three months later, I received an email from the rebate center telling me that rebate could not be honoured because the UPC code was not submitted! I know for a fact it was - I went up and checked the original box, and there's a bit gaping hole where it used to be. I phoned the rebate center to tell them they had made an error, but it was to no avail: they informed me that it was a <i>different</i> company that received the physical rebate from me, and that my only solution was to go back to Fujitsu and get another UPC code from them and re-submit the rebate. I explained that I had ordered this laptop online, and that Fujitsu had discontinued this version of the notebook some 90 days after releasing it, replacing it with a Dual Core version. The rebate center could offer me no solution, so for the first time ever, I'm giving up on a rebate and admitting defeat. :? Have any rebate hell stories to share?

Raphael Salgado
04-06-2006, 09:37 PM
I will tell you that I will never buy any products that require mail-in rebates, unless it is a wireless carrier company like Verizon or Cingular (I never seemed to have any problem with them when buying phones, knock on wood), and now CompUSA, since they have the new eRebate system. Apparently, they have everything in their system stating that I bought it outright, so all I have to do is go online to complete the transaction, or just mail in the printed receipt. No UPC cutouts, no jumping through any hoops, no waiting until the moon is full and the planets are aligned. ;)

I hope one day mail-in rebate companies would be obliterated and just give us the discount at the time of purchase.

timcolling
04-06-2006, 09:45 PM
Hi -

I rarely receive mail-in rebates. Many of the rebate processing companies seem to use processing centers that are located outside of the U.S. and you have no recourse against their fraudulent tactics.

The one completely reliable rebate provider that I know of is Costco. When I purchase something at Costco that has a rebate, I almost always can go online to costco.com and submit the rebate that way. I have NEVER been cheated by them.

- Tim

jlc, just jlc
04-06-2006, 09:48 PM
(snip)

I hope one day mail-in rebate companies would be obliterated and just give us the discount at the time of purchase.

I like eRebates (staples ahs them as well) but I doubt companies will ever get rid of them because that would cause a drop in revenue for them, theri distributors and stores. A $30 rebate on a $100 item would yield a 30% drop in revenue, something comapnies don't want to have happen. A rebate, even if everyone redeems it, results in 100% of the revene at each point in the process with a charge only on the manufacturers income statement.

Edgar_
04-06-2006, 09:57 PM
Right. And even if 100% of the peopl acsh in their rebates, do the math on a million dollars sitting earning interest for 30-90 days. The revenue also looks good on their books, even if earnings are flat.

They use rebates because attrition between purchase and filing the papaerwork is more than high enough to pay the service center and carry a nice profit. They don't need to rip off those of us that fill out the excessive paperwork.

-Edgar

I've left my rant on Smartphone thought, I won't repeat it here. Jump to that thread if interested.

ctmagnus
04-06-2006, 10:03 PM
I've never been burned. But the process takes so long that I usually wonder why I'm getting a cheque in the mail.

Instant online rebates, on the other hand, I will take advantage of. My sister needed a laptop, and I got her 30% off of a sub-$1000 unit. Not too shabby. ;)

Vincent M Ferrari
04-06-2006, 10:06 PM
I just flat out don't bother. When looking for prices, I take into consideration the price without rebates. If it's a good deal, I bite. If not, I bail. I know I'll never get around to sending in the stupid thing anyway, so no point in figuring out prices and stuff with rebates included.

ironguy
04-06-2006, 10:09 PM
I am currently fighting with Lexar over the amount of a rebate on a 1gb flash drive. Evidently they had two separate rebates going at the same time. I filled out the form for a $40 rebate, I met ALL the requirements including specified store (buy.com). They sent me a check for $18.

Seems that they owe me $22, but trying to get anyone to listen and understand is nigh unto impossible. They agree that the $40 rebate form was filled out properly and I met the requirements, but they show the rebate as $18.

AAAARRRRGGGGGGG!

That may have been the last Lexar product I buy.

JimV
04-06-2006, 10:12 PM
Besides the obvious profit to be made from rebates, I believe companies favor rebates because you cannot return an item once you have cut the UPC from the original packaging.

One way I try to fight the "you didn't submit the original UPC" argument is to scan the UPC along with the rest of my submission and actually include the scanned copy (I keep one as well) with the Original UPC taped over it and then write next to it "Original UPC included". Then if I'm really feeling paranoid about the company that will be processing the rebate, I take a picture of the whole thing.

Needless to say, when I get burned with a rebate it is usually because the postmark was a day off-- or I forget to cash the check when it finally comes.

I have also gotten burned with rebate products. One company, I think it was Office Max, had a CD drive that was $40 (this was qute a while ago) with a $40 rebate. Well, needless to say I bought one for a friend's computer and it ended up shorting out and trashing the computer.

Underwater Mike
04-06-2006, 10:21 PM
I've gotten pimped a couple times, but I went to the state AG's office and that seemed to grease the wheels. Isn't there some kind of provincial thing like that for you guys?

Rod3
04-06-2006, 10:30 PM
I just flat out don't bother. When looking for prices, I take into consideration the price without rebates. If it's a good deal, I bite. If not, I bail. I know I'll never get around to sending in the stupid thing anyway, so no point in figuring out prices and stuff with rebates included.

I'm 100% with you! I just consider there is no rebate, and if I still think it's worth getting, I get it. Otherwise, nope. I'm probably still waiting for years old rebates. I only remember ever getting one.

palmsolo
04-06-2006, 10:31 PM
I actually use the rebate offers quite a bit and always make a copy of everything I send in and then write the day I mailed it on my copies. I also keep track of my rebates in a Task on my device so I know when to ping the company regarding the status.

I actually bought Office 2003 and received a bunch of free stuff from CompUSA a couple years ago, including a crappy portable DVD player. The DVD player died after watching one movie, but when I went to take it back they did not have anymore in stock so they gave me $200 in store credit (the actual price paid before rebate for the player). I then used that $200 to buy myself an Xbox so I ended up with an Xbox for free after rebate, which isn't a bad deal at all.

I also was supposed to receive a rebate for $100 once with T-Mobile and they never gave it to me. I called them up and after a couple of minutes of chatting with someone they just gave me $100 credit on my phone bill.

Friends call me Forrest Gump because of the way things always work out for me as you can see by these two simple examples.

jmulder
04-06-2006, 10:54 PM
(snip)

I like eRebates (staples ahs them as well) but I doubt companies will ever get rid of them because that would cause a drop in revenue for them, theri distributors and stores. A $30 rebate on a $100 item would yield a 30% drop in revenue, something comapnies don't want to have happen. A rebate, even if everyone redeems it, results in 100% of the revene at each point in the process with a charge only on the manufacturers income statement.

Not only does the rebate method allow 100% revenue to be reported, but also 100% of applicable sales tax. This is why states won't come down harder on rebate companies...if companies are forced to lower prices rather than offer rebates, then the state's tax revenue goes down (albeit not by too much).

Larry L
04-06-2006, 11:09 PM
On many occasion, I have not purchased an item because I did not have the up front cash.
I had enough for the item after rebate.

IE
Laptop 599.99 after 300.00 total rebates. I did not purchase because I did not have 899.99.

I know that this has happened on many occasions. That is 3 or 4 times I wanted to spend $330 to $1500 and did not buy because of rebates.

They lost sales.

I did not go without the item. I just bought it at the best price I could find without rebates.

tnelson2000
04-06-2006, 11:40 PM
I have submitted a lot of rebates over the year. It appears that they reject or just don't pay about 1 in 10 for no reason at all. It is then up to the customer to realize they didn't get paid; and the customer must have copies of his/her paperwork to get paid.

My most recent 'burn' was a few months ago by Nuance on a copy of Dragon Naturally Speaking software. They sent a rejection stating that I had not submitted by the rebate deadline. However, their rejection letter was dated 10 days before the actual deadline! This was for a competative upgrade that expired at the end of 2005.

The worst is that I had to send two letters and faxs to the President of Nuance before someone from Customer Support contacted me. He then made me resubmit my paperwork. I never heard from him again. I have submitted three more letters via fax to the President and their Legal Department. They refuse to respond.

The Department of Consumer Affairs documents that the rebate companies are 'less than ethical.' If you want to learn more: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/consumerism/rebate_madness01.html

I say there should be a war on rebate scams. :bad-words:

hazcaddy
04-07-2006, 01:03 AM
I've been ripped off by the best of them, Microsoft, Lexar, etc. and now have a firm resolve not to by anything with a MIR.

Best Buy and Staples have stated they are phasing out products with MIRs, because often they end up giving the customer the $$$ that he should have got from the manufacturer.

That said, this week Future Shop's offer of McAfee VirusScan 10 for C$60 with a $20 instant rebate and a $40 MIR was just too good to pass up. So 8 weeks from now I'm going to get a cheque :roll: !!!?

huangzhinong
04-07-2006, 02:10 AM
"When I knew what I wanted, I went straight to Amazon.com. I knew the shopping giant offered super-duper rebates for buying a cell phone with new wireless service (that's how I bought my last phone). Plus, I didn't have to deal with salespeople. The phone cost about $150. But Amazon offered a full rebate with the purchase of a new, one-year wireless contract for $39.99 or more. Choosing a carrier plan was fairly simple, given that only Cingular carried the Razr at the time, apart from my then-carrier TMobile. Staying with TMobile would have precluded the rebate. I bought the package on Nov. 28, 2005, and immediately applied for the rebate on Amazon's site. Then all I had to do was wait for that surprise check in my mailbox. I'm still waiting."

Does that story sound familiar to you? It's probably happened to all of us at one point or another: being trapped in rebate hell. The reason why rebates are so common in North America is that the vast majority of rebates never get submitted - people buy the $99 with a $30 rebate and they forget to submit it, and the company with the $99 product laughs all the way to the bank. Sometimes though, as this article points out, even when you follow all the rules and jump through all the hoops, you're still stuck waiting for a long time.

I've just recently had my first bad rebate experience: I'm meticulous about filing rebates, and have always gotten my money, until this incident: I purchased a Fujitsu N6620 (17" wide screen laptop) and there was a $100 USD rebate on it. I filled out the paperwork, cut out the UPC code from the box, and sent everything in a few days after getting the laptop. Some three months later, I received an email from the rebate center telling me that rebate could not be honoured because the UPC code was not submitted! I know for a fact it was - I went up and checked the original box, and there's a bit gaping hole where it used to be. I phoned the rebate center to tell them they had made an error, but it was to no avail: they informed me that it was a different company that received the physical rebate from me, and that my only solution was to go back to Fujitsu and get another UPC code from them and re-submit the rebate. I explained that I had ordered this laptop online, and that Fujitsu had discontinued this version of the notebook some 90 days after releasing it, replacing it with a Dual Core version. The rebate center could offer me no solution, so for the first time ever, I'm giving up on a rebate and admitting defeat. :? Have any rebate hell stories to share?

I don't know which company you submitted your material to. If it is http://www.wheresmyrebate.com/ , I'll tell you they use the same method to deny thousands of rebates, even you stapled your UPC code to the form.

Compusa always use this company to deal with the rebates and received thousands of complaints from BBB or other agencies, compusa even lost a rebate case a few years ago and ordered to pay back a rebate without any submittion from customers.

DaleReeck
04-07-2006, 02:40 AM
I had a similar situation (except that it was the receipt that was "missing"). Notice how it's always a missing something when they want to get out of a rebate?

In any case, an very easy online complaint to the Better Business Bureau got me taken care of in a week. It was from the dreaded "wheresmyrebate.com" too. In any case, little effort on my part. Also, the State Attorney General can get results. You'd be surprised how fast they move when the BBB or the State Attorney General get on their case.

I also make copies of everything, including the UPC codes. But I wouldn't give up. $100 is a decent amount. I believe this is a calculated thing with these companies. They set some kind of number of rebates to weed out, say 1 out of 10 or whatever to help their bottom line. These rebates end up being the "missing" ones. Don't let them get away with it.

PDANEWBIE
04-07-2006, 03:28 AM
I do rebates all the time. I make sure to scan in all the original documentation to my computer so I can pull up any "lost" paperwork if they say anything lame like "you didn't include" which has not happened yet (knock on wood).

I got a copy of partition magic 8.0 for the price of 2 envelopes and 2 stamps when I got a 40$ off purchase then 20$ off upgrade.

Personally I would like to see the rebate process take some other form I have had times where I get the rebate check some 6 months after I send in the paperwork.

On the other hand I never buy anything RELYING on the rebate. I always buy the product I want and think of any rebate as a bonus. Rebates really don't influence the products I buy. Its the companies support, reliability, and my knowledge of them that guides my product buying.

lapchinj
04-07-2006, 04:19 AM
I will tell you that I will never buy any products that require mail-in rebates, ... and now CompUSA, since they have the new eRebate system. Apparently, they have everything in their system stating that I bought it outright, ... ;)
I feel the same way, I won't buy something from anyone because of a rebate anymore. It's tempting when you see that you can save an extra $40 but it seems to be a crap shoot at best. Sometimes you win sometimes you loose. This year I lost 2 times out of five rebates sent in and there is no one to speak or screem at. Everyone plays dumb.

Thanks for mentioning about the system CompUSA set up. I will definately give them a try with my next purchase. At least it shows that they care about their customers enough to do their share in obliterating this scam and that's all rebates are is one big scam. I can do better at the slots than with rebates.

ROCK ON :byebye:

Jeff-

nosmohtac
04-07-2006, 05:19 AM
I have never been burned on a rebate (that I've actually submitted) yet (knock on wood).

I generally don't buy products with rebates on them unless it is a significant rebate or it's a good deal even before the rebate. I have submitted rebates through Best Buy and Sam's Club. I like that Sam's Club also let's you submit them online, and all you have to do is enter a number off of your receipt.

I understand the marketing idea behind rebates, but I'm sick and tired of them and wish that they would be outlawed. I also understand why many retailers prefer rebates to plain old steep discount sales. One side of it is the larger percentage of people who never even mail in the rebate, but I believe the other thing that keeps retailers from doing away with rebates goes something like this: If particular store, let's say Costco, had a great 50% discount on a product for one day only, without having to submit a rebate, and you ended up paying $150.00 for a $300.00 item you could then take that item back to Walmart and they would give you $300.00 in store credit for an item you only paid $150.00 for (only in-store credit without the receipt).
It may sound dishonest, but you know that people would do it if they could get away with it. Now you come out with a free $150.00 walmart gift card.

I do something similar to this at Christmas time every year. I buy all of the presents, and keep the receipts, then when all of the stores have their big clearance sales after Christmas, I buy the same gifts on clearance and then return them with the original receipt from before Christmas. This way I get all my Christmas gifts at after Christmas prices.

Godsongz
04-07-2006, 06:21 AM
I've been burned by Sandisk on rebates twice. I just stopped buying from them.

ricksfiona
04-07-2006, 07:14 AM
I never base my purchase price on rebates... I never mail them in... It's way too much hassle and it's their loss when their product is more expensive than someone else's without a rebate.

KTamas
04-07-2006, 11:39 AM
I feel kinda happy that we don't have rebates in Hungary...

GoldKey
04-07-2006, 12:23 PM
I do something similar to this at Christmas time every year. I buy all of the presents, and keep the receipts, then when all of the stores have their big clearance sales after Christmas, I buy the same gifts on clearance and then return them with the original receipt from before Christmas. This way I get all my Christmas gifts at after Christmas prices.

Sounds pretty dishonest to me.

DaleReeck
04-07-2006, 01:02 PM

Sounds pretty dishonest to me.

And probably illegal. Intent can make a difference. The actions in themselves are not illegal, but if you're intent was to scam the stores, then its fraud.

BarryB
04-07-2006, 01:17 PM
I have lost out on one rebate, my first one. I had put all the receipts and UPCs and such loose in the envelope. Since the rebate was denied for lack of a UPC, I'm assuming that the code fell out when they opened up the envelope and no one noticed. Since then, I paper clip everything to the rebate form and have had no problem.

I also avoid buying something because it is cheap after the rebate. I buy it assuming that I'll forget to send in the rebate or that I won't receive the rebate. It's also my dislike of giving an interest-free loan to companies.

kimylawson
04-07-2006, 03:09 PM
Compusa,PCconnection and staples are good reliable rebate refunders. I have never had a problem. I just don't like the wait time. while I'm waiting I check whereas my rebate or rebates.com to check the status and it usually tells me how much longer its going to be. Radio Shack is also reliable. :oops: :(

Loki Gelfling
04-07-2006, 03:12 PM
I'm pretty meticulous about my rebates. I have folders for; Original, In Process, and Completed. They migrate to each at various stages of the rebate process. All are scanned in to Acrobat, complete with the rebate form, UPC, receipt, and even the envelope. Where applicable, I complete the rebate using the Acrobat Forms tool so it is legible (I have an old full copy of Acrobat). I try to get them out after 2 to 3 days of purchase, to allow for infant mortality on the product and to avoid an fight at the store over the missing UPC.

My rebate experience:

Costco: Flawless. Online, no UPC, no stamps, no mail. I actually got a Costco rebate in less than 2 weeks!!! 8)

Sam's Club: Prettty good, needs UPCs and stamps. Their customer service helpline will help you out if you have issues.

BestBuy: The will make good on any rebate that has been refused by the mfg/rebate company when you prove you complied with the terms correctly. Veo tried to Screw me, but BestBuy came to the rescue. :)

CircuitCity: Only used a major vendor's rebate (HP) and was satisfied, though CircuitCity did have to issue me a in-store credit to get around some of the terms when I did a subsitution on some of the items in the advertised package. (Now I won't go into CC and their DVD free premiums [stuffed animals, tchotchkes, etc.) which are always "Sold out" :roll: 8 hours after the store opens on New Release Tuesday. Yeah, 100 people bought copies of that DVD before I got there!?!).

MicroCenter: Iffy, some of their vendors are kind of hard to really locate when the rebate goes missing, like Sakar/MicroInnovations :twisted: . I won't do any rebates from those vendors anymore.

Fry's/Outpost.com: 1 out of 5 will never be honored. I buy a lot of stuff there on rebate since it comes out to be free or half priced. AirLink (rumored to be a Fry's company) is very good, but slow. The major vendors (Symantec, etc.) are very good about Fry's rebates, but some their smaller vendors will jerk you around. It took almost an act of God to get the rebate from Tritton. The smaller SW vendors (LifeGlobe &amp; StompSoft) just dissapear under the rug with your rebates.

Buy.com: Like BestBuy will go to bat for you when the rebate company plays unfairly (Lexar).

TigerDirect: Their rebate vendors (usualy not the manufacturer) are slow as molasses, but eventually come through, though it may be up to 6 months later.

OfficeMax/Office Depot: I refuse to buy anything on rebate from them anymore, since I have gotten burned too many times. :evil:

Jacob
04-07-2006, 04:20 PM
I've never had a problem with rebates - I just religiously follow their anal retentive instructions when I submit them.

They'll never stop giving them in favor of complete reductions though. My company has given mail in rebates before and only about 3% of those eligible actually even submit them!

So my company ends up with 97% of people paying regular price, while some likely might have bought thinking that they would send in the rebate, but then never got to it.

dbman
04-07-2006, 06:18 PM
Yes, I just got burned by Edge Tech Corp. They offered a rebate of $25 on a 2GB SD card. I submitted my rebate form with original UPC symbol, waited five months, and then received a post card that said the store I purchased it from was an "invalid purchase location". I checked with the store and they purchased it from an authorized Edge Tech distributor and sold it to me. The post card came too late to meet the deadline on the card for a resubmittal of the rebate claim. Even if it did come in time, I suppose this would have caused another 5 months delay!

No where on the rebate form or web site does it make any reference to the need to purchase it from any specific store or location! This is nothing less than fraud by a company that should pay the consequences of their action!

I have submitted a fraud claim to the Attorney Generals Office of Consumer Affairs in my state. I will report if they take any action against this company.

If this happens to you, I hope you too will take action. Also avoid this company!

digital843
04-07-2006, 06:46 PM
Did you keep all copies of your paperwork including the UPC? Send these to the FTC along with copies of the correspondence and a complaint of fraud. Make sure you send a copy to the company.

John

Peter Traugot
04-07-2006, 08:08 PM
MAKE COPIES OF EVERYTHING BEFORE YOU SEND IT IN!

I had a rebate for DL DVD disk from Verbatim. Good for three packages. Well, I attached all three UPCs to on esubmition. Gues what, got one check...for ONE PACKAGE.

I called the reabte center, told them the story. they asked if I had copies of the paperwork. I DID! I sent it in (twice, but let's not go there) and I go the rest of the money. It's kind of a hobby to chase them down for me.

I keep all my rebates in a folder on my desk at work. At lunch time, I go through them, see how long they've been out, check the web for status (or call) and eventually, they do come.

ScottC
04-07-2006, 08:49 PM
T-mobile has always been the best for me. Sent in a product 2 weeks ago, and got my rebates yesterday. This is the third time they have performed this well.

JMac
04-10-2006, 07:14 AM
My first and last time being bit by a rebate company was for $200 on a Samsung flat panel monitor, purchased at CompUSA.

I have learned that you really need to check who the rebate fulfillment company is. CompUSA was using Wheresmyrebate.com at that time - their real name was TCA Fulfillment Inc. in New Rochelle, NY USA. TCA has been under investigation by the NY State Atty's office for awhile now. They advertise on their website (to companies) that they can reduce their rebate apyouts by 40% minimum. They claim in court that by that they mean that they are more scrupulous than other fulfillment houses, but in actuality they simply ignore a high percentage of the rebate requests - most of them.

Now I only purchase and submit rebates with companies that either handle their own rebates, or that use more reputable rebate fulfillment houses - Young America has a decent record.

I generally try to avoid retailers who advertise low prices by subtracting the mail-in rebate amount from the price - that's as deceptive as they can get. I also try to find the best price from a good company, and ignore better prices from companies that have a lesser reputation.

The eRebate system that Staples uses is really nice. Good to hear that CompUSA is using it now - I stopped purchasing from them at all after they refused to even look into the Samsung rebate for me. I doubt I'll use them again, as Newegg.com has been very good to me. Great prices, decent rebates, and they actually credited me the amount of a rebate that took too long! I did eventually get the check and wrote to them to cancel the credit - yeah, I do that. But the thought was nice.