View Full Version : Need help with syncing 2 outlooks (work and home) with different contacts and keeping them seperate!

PDANEWBIE
04-05-2006, 03:16 AM
I looked around for a good tourtorial and I can't find one anywhere. I could have sworn this had been covered here in the past but when I did a forum search I got nothing.

At home I have a ton of contacts with a designated catergory of Home for ALL contacts (I don't standarly use catergories for anything). I have my home ActiveSync set to sync All home catergory contacts. I have not tried with syncing both this and the work information because I have the personal information currently on my PDA so this has worked fine.

Now at work I have a bunch of contacts I put them in a catergory Business in there I set activesync contacts settings for it to ONLY sync the contacts catergory of Business.

At this point when I set it to sync it still brings my home contacts into my work PC, and worse yet if I delete the home contacts that sync over from my work PC it deletes them out from my PPC. I actually have to remove the PPC and then delete out the personal PDA contact information.

I did try reinstalling activesync to see if this was an application problem because IMHO this is really all that should need to be done but I think I am missing something...

Can anyone point me to a nice toutorial to go over syncing 2 outlook contacts but keeping the information seperate on the 2 outlooks?

PDANEWBIE
04-10-2006, 08:59 PM
Please help with this. I am still having this problem and I can't get it to work.

burtcom
04-10-2006, 11:16 PM
I'd also like to know if this is possible...

I'd also like to know if something similar can be done for calendars -- I'd like to have both work and personal items on my device, yet keep the personal stuff off the work computer.

PDANEWBIE
04-12-2006, 05:17 PM
The best I can find is http://www.chapura.com/pmp_wm.php

This allows you to set it so your outlook only syncs 1 way. Thus I can have my work PC sync into the PPC and then have my home PC sync into my PPC as well the only problem I have is anything I manually put in on my PPC then has to manually be reentered into one of the 2 pc's/

shindullin
04-12-2006, 09:49 PM
i thought this was a problem with outlook itself. There is no "solution" other than perhaps what you just suggested for yourself. Otherwise, if you want to sync it you have to sync it all.

PDANEWBIE
04-13-2006, 06:48 PM
Really no matter what this is shoddy... to be as simpleminded to think that you want ALL of your data on both the PC's you sync with is very limited thinking.

I wish I had a developers mind I would come up with a way to make it so you can sync according to fields and then make it where the consumer can pick the field they want to sync by. This way if I was at home I could use a User field 1 of Home and at work I could use a User Field 1 of Work and then just have it where the program forces activsync to sync ONLY with this field according to the PC you have it set up to sync with.

Now tell me is this an activesync issue or just a problem that noone has developed such a program?