View Full Version : HP's View On The Future Of Mobile Computing

Ed Hansberry
04-03-2006, 04:00 PM
<a href="http://h30046.www3.hp.com/news_article.php?topiccode=20060310_314118_225_121_0_0&amp;pagesite=LARGE_OOV&amp;regioncode=NA&amp;jumpid=em_EL_TAW/US/Apr06_ENT/Spot1/futuremobilecomputing">http://h30046.www3.hp.com/news_article.php?topiccode=20060310_314118_225_121_0_0&amp;pagesite=LARGE_OOV&amp;regioncode=NA&amp;jumpid=em_EL_TAW/US/Apr06_ENT/Spot1/futuremobilecomputing</a><br /><br /><i>"The next generation of mobile technology will turn your phone into a shape shifter, capable of showing movies, getting you discounts at stores, and connecting you to information and people with the click of a button. Sounds simple, right? It’s anything but. So it’s a good thing that the researchers at HP Labs, in locations around the world, are hard at work, inventing tomorrow today."</i><br /><br />This is a look into what HP sees as the future for mobile computing, and it is completely wrapped up in a phone device, which should come as no surprise. Read on for the problems they see and where they are at on solving them.

whydidnt
04-03-2006, 06:00 PM
"... So it’s a good thing that the researchers at HP Labs, in locations around the world, are hard at work, inventing tomorrow today."

If recent history is any indicator, there's probably one guy in the corner of a lab somewhere reading what HTC is going to do next. HP hasn't shown any leadership in the mobile device space since acquiring Compaq. Even their entries into converged devices have shown a lack of understanding of what users want. Not to mention the fact they take so long to get to market that they almost always seem to be an OS version behind.
:bad-words:

Craig Horlacher
04-03-2006, 09:43 PM
I started to rant about what I think about Ipaq's since day one...I've done that before so I'll just say I agree with whydidnt.

OneAngryDwarf
04-04-2006, 01:25 AM
If HP is inventing tomorrow today then I want to go back to yesterday because HP has not come up with anything close to decent since the iPaq 4100 two or 3 years ago. How do they expect to win the phone market when everything they've released so far is absolute crap. I dislike HP almost as much as Sony these days and its a shame because they are both capable of so much more.

r@dimus
04-04-2006, 01:28 AM
Anyway. This from the company that not so long ago was whining about how there's no market for high-end PPC's. All the while Dell is selling Axims left and right.