View Full Version : Daylight Savings Time Forum Change

Jason Dunn
04-02-2006, 11:00 PM
Mike <a href="http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/index.php?topic_id=10780">explains it nicely here</a>, but the short version is that phpBB isn't smart enough to update for daylight savings time, so you should <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/profile.php?mode=editprofile">go into your preferences</a> and bump the time zone setting back/forward by one hour. So, for instance, mine used to be set at GMT -7, and now it's at GMT -6. Did anyone miss anything this morning due to the time change (if you do it in your area)? I was late getting to music practice at church this morning, so it make for a rushed morning and a somewhat sloppy performance on my part (my stomach illness and two hours of sleep didn't help either). Anyone got any funny stories to share? :-)

Clinton Fitch
04-02-2006, 11:13 PM
Mike &lt;A I was late getting to music practice at church this morning, so it make for a rushed morning and a somewhat sloppy performance on my part (my stomach illness and two hours of sleep didn't help either). Anyone got any funny stories to share? :-)
Well you did better than me and I don't have a stomach issue to fall back on... :(

I hit the alarm and made the fatal mistake of not immediately getting up. I went back to sleep... waking up about 30 minutes after church had started...

griph
04-03-2006, 12:24 AM
and bump the time zone setting back by one hour.
The nice thing about living in London (and near the prime meridian) we go from GMT to GMT+1 for DST or BST - "British Summer Time" as it is known here - so no problems with negative numbers! DST started here last Sunday morning - as it did for the rest of Europe (sync'ed in 1996).
An interesting site can be found at http://webexhibits.org/daylightsaving/g.html which explains much about DST - Quote: "Note that there are many oddities. For example, some parts of the U.S. and Canada do not observe Daylight Saving Time, such as the state of Arizona (U.S.) and the province Saskatchewan (Canada)."
A further quote from the same site:
"A man, born just after 12:00 a.m. DST, circumvented the Vietnam War draft by using a daylight saving time loophole. When drafted, he argued that standard time, not DST, was the official time for recording births in his state of Delaware in the year of his birth. Thus, under official standard time he was actually born on the previous day—and that day had a much higher draft lottery number, allowing him to avoid the draft."

Current Location: LAT: 51.357 LONG: -0.031

Jon Westfall
04-03-2006, 01:00 AM
The presider at Church this morning told us we were allowed to yawn, as 8:30 was a lot earlier today than yesterday. Didn't think he was serious until I saw him yawning ;)

The children in the choir didn't seem phased though - must be the eternal energy of youth.

Darius Wey
04-03-2006, 01:08 AM
We don't have DST in our state, so I never suffer from timing confusions. Of course, subsequently, I never know when the rest of the world flips their clocks forward and back. :)

MerlinAZ
04-03-2006, 01:32 AM
Hey Jason.
I live in Phoenix where we are also at GMT -7, but one nice thing is we don't change our time to MDT.

applejosh
04-03-2006, 02:36 AM
Of course, subsequently, I never know when the rest of the world flips their clocks forward and back. :)

Unfortunately, I don't think there's a "standard" that's recognized worldwide when to spring forward or fall back. I think it varies by country (and probably to a large degree, hemisphere). I think the whole notion is silly, anyway. Pick one and keep it for cryin' out loud.

Interesting statistic I read once: There are 3% more car accidents on average the day after the spring time change (one less hour of sleep) and 3% fewer car accidents on average the day after the autumn time change (extra hour of sleep). (I believe this was for the US.) I personally would expect a higher percentage both ways.

ctmagnus
04-03-2006, 04:49 AM
Unfortunately, I don't think there's a "standard" that's recognized worldwide when to spring forward or fall back. I think it varies by country (and probably to a large degree, hemisphere). I think the whole notion is silly, anyway. Pick one and keep it for cryin' out loud.

And stick with it! :grumble:

stoopid politicians who think they know how to run the place ;) ;)

griph
04-03-2006, 05:40 AM
It's not quite that bad, the majority follow either the last Sunday in March (eg UK, Europe,most of Australia, USSR, Greenland) or first Sunday in April (eg USA, Canada, Mexico etc). Africa &amp; Middle East appears to be the most variable!

griph
04-03-2006, 05:49 AM
stoopid politicians who think they know how to run the place ;) ;)
Quite - as an example see the UK Law defining DST for 1997 - 2000 at http://webexhibits.org/daylightsaving/uk.html - these guys cannot be serious!! 8O

dgroover
04-03-2006, 04:07 PM
I live in Indiana. We just started observing DST. When I went to my clock settings and changed the time zone to just Eastern and clicked the adjust for DST box, all of my Outlook appointments are off 1 hour. I will manually adjust the time unless I can find a solution.

jayson
04-03-2006, 07:05 PM
AAARRRGGGHH!

I've had too many time changes these last weeks. Adjusting to Hong Kong time, adjusting to Sri Lankan Time, now, Still adjusting to Pacific time! So the time change hasn't made any difference to me! :D

Kadegboye
04-05-2006, 09:48 PM
Hi Guys,
On Sunday, I expected my ppcp to self-adjust to DST but failed. I therefore decided to adjust it manually. Since then, the time has always been 1 hr behind no matter what I do. However, by reading the different experiences people have had, I will go home and try adjusting via preferences. I never lost anything as my home clock which synchronizes with the atomic clock always gets the time right.\
Kay