View Full Version : BUYING DECISION on NEW HX4700

jiholl
04-01-2006, 02:06 PM
Thinking of buying new HX4700...Buy.com has it new for about $555.00. Concerned though about buying "old" technology..BUT..love the feel of a metal PDA...had a Sony Clie NR-70 and loved that feel. Bought a Palm TX..its ok...but reviews of HX4700 seem so generally great...I know that I can upgrade to wm5 now for HX...though people seem fine and happy with old OS. I really will only use it for Calander, Contacts, occassional web surfing, and say, picture viewing from SD card. I know that HX is overkill for this basic stuff..but feel of unit is key for me...hate plastic devices. (one thing...MUST HAVE ability to use Continental Airlines website and it uses JAVA ...does Wm2003SE Internet Explorer do it like the IE in WM5.0? )

Would I just be better off with say an HX2795?

Also...really love persistent memory idea in new OS, but sounds like old OS can do someting close to it...HP filestore or something?

THANKS

Janak Parekh
04-01-2006, 07:29 PM
(one thing...MUST HAVE ability to use Continental Airlines website and it uses JAVA ...does Wm2003SE Internet Explorer do it like the IE in WM5.0? )
No, PIE doesn't have Java support, only Javascript support. Browsers like NetFront do support Java, albeit not everything.

Would I just be better off with say an HX2795?
Hmm... your best bet might be to see if you can get your hands on one and make sure you like your feel. I'm not sure if there are any stores near you that sell PDAs, but if they do, it might be handy to pop over there and see if the form factor and the feel works.

Also...really love persistent memory idea in new OS, but sounds like old OS can do someting close to it...HP filestore or something?
That's a different concept. In WM5, all data is stored in ROM, so that if the battery dies, the device will resume on the next charge as if you soft-reset. While the HP File Store will not be lost on a battery loss, what will happen is the rest of the device will look like it was hard-reset, e.g., applications, Start menu, registry, etc.

--janak

jiholl
04-01-2006, 07:40 PM
Thanks..

I probably mean JavaSCRIPT....that is what most websites use to enter data, etc,...I think.

I do like the form factor of the 2795....but wonder if I would like the 4700 better?...no place around to "feel" it though...and review are just amazing of 4700...have checked alot and no other PDA seems to be so highly "loved".

I imagine thought, that with a SYNC...after a batrey loss..all comes back as was?...I know this is how PALM devices work??????

Janak Parekh
04-02-2006, 05:18 AM
have checked alot and no other PDA seems to be so highly "loved".
I'm not sure about that. A number of the Pocket PC phones are highly valued by end-users.

I imagine thought, that with a SYNC...after a batrey loss..all comes back as was?...I know this is how PALM devices work??????
Well, you can certainly sync the data back, but applications aren't automatically restored. There are backup tools you can use to automate that process in case of a hard reset. The idea behind Persistent Storage in WM5, though, is that if you're on the road somewhere, you generally don't have to worry about this particular scenario.

--janak