View Full Version : Calendar Needed

Jay Hartman
03-29-2006, 12:35 AM
I have a feeling what I want doesn't actually exist, but I thought if anyplace might be able to provide me with a solution, this would be it.

I don't run any Microsoft Office products, so I don't have access to Outlook or Outlook Express. I'm a home user, so I don't have Exchange either.

What I need is a calendar program that could be resident on a XP desktop, but could also sync with my Pocket PC WITHOUT having to do so through the usual Outlook answer. Does anybody know of a stand-alone calendar program that can do this? I happen to really like the Thunderbird calendar, but unfortunately it doesn't sync with my PPC.

Thanks for any help you might be able to give!

Nurhisham Hussein
03-29-2006, 01:33 AM
I have a feeling what I want doesn't actually exist, but I thought if anyplace might be able to provide me with a solution, this would be it.

The only other one I know of is Lotus Notes, but that requires you buy additional 3rd party software to be able to sync - nowhere near the kind of solution you're looking for. At the moment, there's really no alternative to Outlook.

Patrick Y.
03-29-2006, 02:40 AM
I think Outlook is the best and only solution. Besides, it comes free with your PPC... Why don't you just give it a try?

MarcFou
03-29-2006, 03:12 AM
http://www.winpim.com/

Personal Edition: $39.95
Sync for Pocket PC: $29.95

If you dont mind spooning out the cash its an excellent alternative. I tried the personal edition and its great! I just cant justify buying two products though.

Jay Hartman
03-29-2006, 03:56 AM
I'll check out WinPim and see if it will suit my needs. Any other tips out there would be greatly appreciated.

Yep...I know that my PocketPC has Outlook...but my desktop doesn't, and that's what I need to sync with. Thanks for that tip, tho, Patrick.

Patrick Y.
03-29-2006, 04:17 AM
I'll check out WinPim and see if it will suit my needs. Any other tips out there would be greatly appreciated.

Yep...I know that my PocketPC has Outlook...but my desktop doesn't, and that's what I need to sync with. Thanks for that tip, tho, Patrick.

The desktop version should be included in your Companion CD also.

Nurhisham Hussein
03-29-2006, 04:23 AM
Yup, the desktop Outlook (ver 2002) is distributed free with all Pocket PCs.

Jay Hartman
03-29-2006, 06:29 AM
Really? I'll have to go back through my discs then and check it out. I still kind of want to stay away from Outlook, but if I have it already that's going to be great.

Nurhisham Hussein
03-29-2006, 07:00 AM
Kinda hard for Microsoft to tout synchronisation with your desktop, if they don't include the software for it :) They've done some silly things in the past, but they're not dumb :) Besides, Outlook isn't really that bad, it's Activestink that usually gets my goat.

Patrick Y.
03-30-2006, 12:42 AM
i still kind of want to stay away from Outlook, but if I have it already that's going to be great.

As others said, Outlook itself is not bad. Except the problems with "activestink", outlook is great. Microsoft office product are the best!

Pocketjumper
03-30-2006, 08:06 PM
i still kind of want to stay away from Outlook, but if I have it already that's going to be great.

As others said, Outlook itself is not bad. Except the problems with "activestink", outlook is great. Microsoft office product are the best!

Will have to respectfully disagree, as I find OpenOffice 2.0 to be better than MS Office, and I like Mozilla's Thunderbird's RSS reader as well.

Nurhisham Hussein
03-31-2006, 01:42 AM
I'm with Pocketjumper on this - I wouldn't go so far as to say MS Office is the best. I use OpenOffice myself.

Jay Hartman
03-31-2006, 04:58 AM
I also use OpenOffice. My only regret is that it doesn't have a good calendar program. I had tried EasyOffice for a while, but their calendar was REALLY bad. Sigh. I really wish someone would develop a plugin for Thunderbird that would allow its email and calendar to be synced with a PPC.

Patrick Y.
03-31-2006, 05:52 AM
OpenOffice is great too. It's even better since it's free. As with you guys, I use it too on my laptop. However, the problem with it is that it has compatability issues with MS Office, which is used by most people. For me, it's also impossible to use OpenOffice for any complex formatting or drawings.(powerpoint, word, etc.) I used MS Office before and since I can't afford to purchase the new copy now I have to use OpenOffice. It's great, but if both were free MS is better. MS office, in my opinion, is easier to use and supports more complex formatting/tools that I like.

JeffCarlin
03-31-2006, 04:39 PM
http://www.winpim.com/

Personal Edition: $39.95
Sync for Pocket PC: $29.95

If you dont mind spooning out the cash its an excellent alternative. I tried the personal edition and its great! I just cant justify buying two products though.

I downloaded both apps (although I had to guess on the Sync version). Can't get them to sync up. Any ideas or steps to take?