View Full Version : iAnywhere Releases Afaria 5.4

Darius Wey
03-28-2006, 08:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.ianywhere.com/press_releases/afaria5_4.html' target='_blank'>http://www.ianywhere.com/press_rele.../afaria5_4.html</a><br /><br /></div><i>"iAnywhere, a subsidiary of Sybase, Inc. (NYSE: SY) today announced the general availability of Afaria 5.4. The latest version of the company's award-winning frontline management and security solution includes greatly expanded capabilities for managing RIM BlackBerry devices. Afaria is the only leading mobile device management and security solution that enables a company to manage BlackBerry devices from the same administrative console as its other mobile devices. In addition, Afaria 5.4 includes full management and security capabilities for Windows Mobile 5.0 devices, including new device monitoring capabilities. Other enhancements include a permanent client identifier for handhelds, and inventory management improvements for converged mobile devices."</i><br /><br />A new version of Afaria is available and it now has full support for Windows Mobile 5.0. Included is an enhanced device monitoring system that allows administrators to monitor Windows Mobile 5.0-based devices and react to changes in the state of the device, an enhanced inventory manager for collecting device and network information, and a new permanent client identifier that adds the capability to re-identify and connect to a device in the event of a failure. Afaria 5.4 will be available on March 31.

Jason Lee
03-29-2006, 04:19 AM
Is it just me or is anyone else a little concerned about how much control the "administrators" have over our very personal devices now?

I've seen the setting options in exchange 2003. They can basically enforce group policy on your device now. Not only can you be forced to have a password on your device (which you should anway) they can force the timeout before the device asks for the password or even force the strong alphanumeric password option. You cannot turn these options off.

does anyone know if you turn off direct push or delete the exchabge server settings if you get control of your device back or is a hard reset and rebuild the only way to undo the "group policy"?