View Full Version : Microsoft Office 2007: ETA - January 2007

Darius Wey
03-25-2006, 12:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2006/mar06/03-24OfficeTimingPR.mspx' target='_blank'>http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/...ceTimingPR.mspx</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Yesterday, Microsoft Corp. confirmed the timeline for release and availability of its 2007 Microsoft Office system. The company remains on track to complete work on the 2007 Microsoft Office system in October of this year and is planning to make the product available to the business customers through the volume licensing program in October 2006. Retail and OEM availability of the product are scheduled to coincide with the retail and OEM availability of the Windows Vista operating system in January 2007."</i><br /><br />Being Pocket PC users, odds are good that most of you use some version of Microsoft Office - so here's a little public service announcement: both Windows Vista and Office 2007 can be expected in January 2007. Based on <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=47367">information presented by Jason earlier in the week</a>, it looks like you'll have to choose your Office suite carefully in order to receive Outlook 2007.

OneAngryDwarf
03-25-2006, 04:44 PM
This is an unsurprising move. Even if Office was finished with their current product line groupings they have to release afterWindows Vista. Microsoft knows we need a calendar/email/contact organizer and since they are discontinuing Outlook in many of the product lines, Windows Vista with its built in Apple rip-offs is an absolute must in order to actually sell any copies of Home or Student editions of Office. Personally I'll be happy to say good bye to Outlook. It does a lot of great things but most of those things I and other "home" users don't need it to do and simplicity is sacrificed in the crossfire. It will be nice to use something similar to Apple's PIM's. Of course my next computer will be an Apple as a result of the Intel switch. Man I can't wait.

gt24
03-25-2006, 07:51 PM
This is an unsurprising move. Even if Office was finished with their current product line groupings they have to release afterWindows Vista. Microsoft knows we need a calendar/email/contact organizer and since they are discontinuing Outlook in many of the product lines, Windows Vista with its built in Apple rip-offs is an absolute must in order to actually sell any copies of Home or Student editions of Office. Personally I'll be happy to say good bye to Outlook. It does a lot of great things but most of those things I and other "home" users don't need it to do and simplicity is sacrificed in the crossfire. It will be nice to use something similar to Apple's PIM's. Of course my next computer will be an Apple as a result of the Intel switch. Man I can't wait.

Your argument is valid... I just hope that there is a way to make older Pocket PC devices see the Vista calendar instead of being chained to the Outlook calendar...

k1darkknight
04-01-2006, 08:09 AM
Hmmmm...well, they've been saying "January 2007" for what...2-3 months now? So that means in about another month or two, they'll be 'right on schedule' for announcing their next significant delay, pushing it back to either "March 2007" or "April 2007"...As I figure it, Windows Vista has already been delayed a few times, so January might be feasible for that. However Office '07 was only 'officially' announced in the last couple months, so they've got a few more delays to factor in, for that...my predictions:
Vista - late Jan / early Feb '07
Office 07 - May / June '07 (April at the earliest)