View Full Version : PPC6700 Clock

LagunaBeachBum
03-24-2006, 07:26 PM
Does anyone else have a problem w/ there clock stopping? I own a PPC6700 and my clock will stop if I shut the device off, and it will correct itself once I turn it back on. The REAL problem is using the alarm. If I do not leave the phone on, my alarms will not work.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

bdotson
04-11-2006, 10:27 AM
I have the same problem. I've only just set the alarm for the first time and when it went off, it did not stop.

My only recourse is is set it for a future time.

Did you find any solution?

LagunaBeachBum
04-11-2006, 04:35 PM
The clock is still a problem w/ my PPC6700. I have contacted Sprint, and they don't know what to do except to say to do a hard reset. That will not fix the problem. My only hope at this point is the new 5.0 O/S from MSFT.

LoveDeviceHateTheGlitch
04-19-2006, 09:01 PM
I love my Pocket PC 6700. More than any phone in the history of my cell phone use, I love this thing. It keeps me organized. It is great! With one exception. For some reason, whenever I have to soft reset it, and occassionally on its own, my alarms will go off and, ever since about 4 months ago, my dismiss button for the alarms has gone amiss. It just isn't there anymore. I know that the little dismiss function is there because I can use it for other things like when I send text messages and it gives me the notification that a text has been sent. So, the function is still in there somewhere. Anyway, since my dismiss function is MIA when my alarms go off, I can't stop them until I trick my device into stopping it or the alarms just run their course. I can't get rid of the alarms. I have them all unchecked but, the times are still there. Eventually it stops but, it would be nice if I could use them again in the future. I have taken my phone in a couple times to see if anyone has had this problem and if they can fix it and the only option they give me is to hard reset and re-sync to see if it fixes itself. Ugh! Has anyone else had this problem? If so, were you able to fix it or do I just have to put up and shut up?

It seems that whatever has messed with my dismiss function has also messed up my ability to get off the internet. I literally have to change my phone to in-flight mode and out of flight mode to shut internet explorer down. No amount of stopping the program from running in settings will stop it.

I can't help but wonder if I just need to scrap this one and get a replacement. And, I don't know if that would cost me anything. Help if you can!
Thanks in advance and sorry for the book! I just don't know any other way to explain the issue in fewer words!

jason.hover
05-03-2006, 05:21 PM
I have the same problem. It's driving me CRAZY! I love -- err "loved" -- this device until I lost the ability to dismiss reminders AND (an associated problem) I can no longer use reminders with tasks and appoints -- they simply do not fire on my device (even though they DO fire on my laptop). Has anyone found a resolution? I loathe doing a hard-reset..

LoveDeviceHateTheGlitch
05-03-2006, 05:42 PM
Oh Geez! Don't even get me started on the Hard Reset. For whatever reason, I must not have synced my PPC up properly because, after the Sprint store did a hard reset, I was unable to get any of my data back. No contacts, no notes, no calendar events, no settings! Not a freaking thing. So, lucky me! I got to spend another couple hours (like I did back in November when I first got my device) re-entering all of my contact info...which is of course the thing I needed to get back the most. I still don't have all of the contacts info in there. There were alot of addresses that I got and just put into my PPC without actually having that info written down anywhere. So, I need to find it all again. The only real good thing about the hard reset is that I am not getting the alerts without the dismiss button anymore. I haven't actually tried to set an alarm to see what happens though just because I really don't want to have to deal with it at all so, I don't know if the problem was remedied or just not a problem because I haven't made it so.

Take care!

jason.hover
05-03-2006, 05:46 PM
Sounds like it fixed the "no dismiss" problem, even though it hosed your Contacts (whoops). How long has it been since the hard reset?

LoveDeviceHateTheGlitch
05-03-2006, 09:11 PM
I Had it Hard Reset on April 21st. It's been alright since. I still need to reset alot of stuff. Get it back to the way I like it. But, it's ok right now.

jason.hover
05-03-2006, 09:15 PM
I Had it Hard Reset on April 21st. It's been alright since. I still need to reset alot of stuff. Get it back to the way I like it. But, it's ok right now.

Hmmm... so it has only been 12 days since you hard reset. I was hoping for a longer track record than that. I wonder if the "dismiss" problem is just going to resurface again? Oh well, guess we'll have to wait to find out. I'm going to do a hard reset now I think.

LoveDeviceHateTheGlitch
05-04-2006, 02:37 PM
Wow! I can't believe it has only been 12 days. It seems like so much longer ago! Did you hard reset yours? I hope you had it synced up properly! Let me know how it went!

jason.hover
05-05-2006, 10:27 PM
Yes, the hard reset worked!!!! I documented the whole process so I can repeat it again if necessary. Happy to share it (MS Word doc) if you want.

LoveDeviceHateTheGlitch
05-08-2006, 03:19 PM
That's great! Congrats!

So, mine sucks again. It isn't doing the alert thing. It is back to what I actually took it in and had it hard reset for last time. The phone isn't working. It gives me a message about having to plug in a wireless radio in order to use the phone. Freaking fantastic. Can't tell you how much I love having spent $600 on something that is giving me so much grief. Love it! So, I am taking it in tonight to see if I can replace it. I'm fed up! But, they are telling me that Sprint has decided that they have washed their hands of it and it is up to the manufacturers of the phone to deal with now since January 1st. So, I don't know what is going to happen. I might have to pay a fee tonight at the Sprint store to scrap this one and get a new one. I am just fed up enough to pay a fee to be over this headache.

Anyway, I hope yours holds up but, it has only been 18 days since my hard reset and I am back to annoyed.

jason.hover
05-08-2006, 04:58 PM
OUCH!!!!! That sucks. I will keep my fingers crossed and see how long it lasts.

LoveDeviceHateTheGlitch
05-08-2006, 07:44 PM
Weird. It turned out to be a false alarm. Somehow, the "Phone On/Off" button in the wireless manager du-hickey got hit or something and was in the off position. I don't know how or why!

Another prob I am having is with sending picture mail via texts and, I can't send any emails to anyone but my one email account via that specific account on my phone. Any ideas?

With the text, the "Insert" is not bold so I can't click on it or use the middle button. Just isn't there for me to use. I can receive them.

jason.hover
05-08-2006, 07:57 PM
Glad to hear it was a false alarm. As for the email problem, I'm not sure what to say. I just use gmail mobile on mine (love that gmail!!) I set up some "filters" on my gmail account that forward certain emails to <me>@sprintpcs.com, and then I went into my sprint pcs settings and configured it to to notify me of all incoming mails. So, if [email protected] sends an email to my gmail address, I get a "push" notification (sms msg) on my phone that says "Email from [email protected]". Then, I hit the Internet Explorer button on my phone, and go to Home (gmail), and it pulls up my Inbox (no logging in required since it 'remembers' me via a cookie), and I click on John's email to read it. I call it my "modified push email system". ;)

LoveDeviceHateTheGlitch
05-08-2006, 09:00 PM
I need to figure all of that out. I have gmail. But, the only account it will let me use on my device is my old hotmail account. I can only send email using my hotmail account to my hotmail account. Which sucks since I have been addicted to my gmail account since I first got it just under 2 years ago. The only thing I send via email right now are pictures I take. But, it would be nice to be able to send an email to someone else in the world but myself. I would take it into the Sprint but, I am afraid they are going to mess something up and, they don't seem to understand the device any better than I do. I actually had to teach them how to change the background from the default to the Guava Bubbles. They were amazed at that! Hehehehe!

I hope yours continues to work. Mine seems ok with the possible exception of not being able to do a few things that I really should be able to do. And, except for the fact that the phone wirelessly manages itself now and then. Maybe it is possessed! LOL!

jason.hover
05-08-2006, 09:46 PM
I do not pop3 my gmail to my phone; rather, I just pull up the browerser and go to gmail.com, and then login there. The advantage is that you're not storing any messages on your phone. Does your phone not allow you to do this? Again, here are the steps:

1) Open up Internet Explorer on phone
2) go to gmail.com
3) enter user/password
4) You're now in gmail, where you can compose a new message, read email, search email, etc...

LoveDeviceHateTheGlitch
05-09-2006, 06:57 PM
I have tried that. I think that it will let me view my emails but, it won't let me send any from my gmail account. Oh well. Maybe some day I'll figure out how to fix it.

How is your baby today. Still doing well after the hard reset?

jason.hover
05-09-2006, 10:02 PM
Working like a charm. As for your gmail issue, I think we have a disconnect somewhere. Can you try these exact steps and tell me your result?

1) Open up Internet Explorer on phone
2) go to gmail.com
3) enter user/password
4) click the "Compose Mail" link
5) add a recipient (not your own email, but rather a friend or family member or coworker), add a subject, add an email body, click Send
6) wait a minute or two and confirm with them that they received your email

LoveDeviceHateTheGlitch
05-10-2006, 03:02 PM
It worked but, I still can't send any pictures via attachment because there isn't even the ability to attach anything. And, I tried sending email via gmail.com before and it wouldn't work so, I don't know if it was fixed after my hard reset or what happened.

So, here is another question since you have helped me and seem to understand the device pretty well. When I am connected to the internet, I can't disconnect without putting my phone in flight mode and then putting it back off flight mode. I could swear that I used to be able to click some kind of button to disconnect but can't seem to find that now. Even when I go to settings/system/memory/running programs and then stop the specific programs (like Internet Explorer), it still doesn't disconnect. Is there something I am missing?

Or is that just how it has to be done?

Thanks for your help with the GMail. Now, if only I could figure out how to send pictures. I still can't send any pictures via my hotmail account to anyone but my hotmail address.

jason.hover
05-11-2006, 12:14 AM
Well, we're interacting so much we might as well be in business together! Take a look at poweroftheamazon.com and explorefreedom.com/training sometime and shoot me an email if you'd like to discuss. I'm always looking for enthusiastic people who want out of the rat race.

As for sending pictures:
1) Log into gmail on your phone
2) At the bottom of the screen, where it says "View", choose "basic HTML"
3) Click "Compose Mail" and voila, you can attach pictures

As for disconnecting from the Internet:
1) Why? I'm not sure what it is you're trying or not trying to do.
2) Here's how mine works: When I'm done using gmail, I just hit the "OK" button on my phone so the gmail screen disappears, and I leave Internet Explorer running. I do not explicitly disconnect from the Internet. If someone calls me when I'm online (using gmail), I DO get the call - it comes through just fine. You can test this by logging into your phone on gmail, and then calling your phone from another phone to see what happens.

LoveDeviceHateTheGlitch
05-11-2006, 03:52 PM
Sweet! It worked! Thank you!
As for the logging on and off the internet, I prefer to log off when I am not using it because it uses so much battery. I like to only have to charge up my device every couple days or so.
I'll check you site out when I get a chance. I am comfortable where I am now. But, who knows how I will feel down the road?

Now, if only I could get my "Insert" button under texting to highlight so I can picture mail people I text. I might break down and take it in and see if there is something I am missing in my settings that will fix that. I'm still learning. I am not as technologically inclined as some in the world. But, I try!

How is your device working? Still holding up? I have had to soft reset mine every morning since a couple days ago. It gave me issues today with the soft reset and the only way I could fix it was to take the battery out and start over. Really annoying and weird.

Oh well! What can I do? LOL!

jason.hover
05-11-2006, 08:38 PM
Glad to hear it's working out for you. My device has been pretty stable thus far. Occasionally have to soft-reset in order to get it to sync, but that's acceptable I guess.

houghton
05-20-2006, 02:53 AM
I bought the 6700 for my wife around Xmas and just the other day it started with the alarm problem too. It seems that the hard reset is the answer but I am concerned that it will also wipe out the phone info. Did you have to take it back to sprint to have them redo it or did that part stay? Also with the current sync (the one I do before the hard reset) will that restore all the data or did you have any issues with that?

Thanks a million for the input.

jason.hover
05-20-2006, 05:28 AM
The hard reset will not destroy the phone info. It will work immediately after the hard reset. To restore your data, you'll need to sync from Outlook again. Make a backup of your outlook data file on your laptop/desktop before doing this just in case you hose anything. If you want the full details on how I did the hard reset process and re-sync, I can send it to you (MS Word doc) via email.

houghton
05-22-2006, 04:55 AM
Hey there, Thank you a million. That would be great.

[email protected]

thanks again
Doug

LoveDeviceHateTheGlitch
05-22-2006, 05:34 PM
So, the drama has finally ended for me with my PPC 6700...I hope. But, not without being on the phone with the Technical department of Sprint for roughly 3 hours on Saturday and having to call the Advanced Technical department Sunday to tell them that nothing I did over the 3 hours with the other guy Saturday had any effect. What started it was when I was no longer able to soft reset my phone with any progress in getting my phone to come back on. What would happen is that my signal would randomly turn itself off every single day, sometimes more than once. This would render my phone no more useful than a pad of paper and a pen. I couldn't make or receive any calls, use text messaging or get onto the internet. I could still use the calendar, notes and the some of the other fuctions that basically add up to the same thing as a pad of paper. Hence my comment before. So, ever since about 18 days after my hard reset, that problem started occurring..as I said, every single day. I usually could soft reset a couple times and the signal would come back. But, it happened again Saturday, and after my 30th soft reset, I gave into the long phone conversation with a tech. We tried uninstalling and re-installing activesync...didn't work. And, just so all of you know, about a month or two ago, there was a new version (an update) to the Activesynce 4.0. Google "Microsoft Activesynce 4.1 download" and do it! It is supposed to fix most of the problems with the 4.0 but, I can't gaurentee that for sure. Anyway, after I explained the short version of my 6 months of issues to Advanced Technical on the phone, she told me that there have been a few people who have had the "signal just randomly going missing and the phone being nearly permanently off" issue and none of them have been fixable as yet. Literally, they have not found a permanent solution to that problem. So, she put in my record that I was to get a replacement. Period. No ifs, ands or buts about it. No one was to give me grief. No one at the Sprint store of my choosing was to say no to me. So, I went in yesterday, told them I was there for a replacement...after I called first to make sure they still had a new 6700 on hand at that location. They opened there mouths as if to protest but, I told them to look at my record as someone from Advanced Technical (and I gave her name) sent me and had made a notation in my account. They got the ball rolling and I now have a shiny new, working phone...at least for the time being. I took it home. Uninstalled the Activesync 4.1, reinstalled it and Wala! It synced. So, if this problem should start happening for any of you in 6700 land, don't delay. Call Sprint, ask for Advanced Technical and talk to them about it. I can't promise that you will get an immediate "replacement" response but, I wouldn't wait until you are without a cell for 24 hours and have spent 3 hours on the phone with a Sprint Tech. It is not a problem than anyone can fix yet. Don't forget that!

Sorry this is so long but, it needed to be told!
Take care and good luck out there in 6700 land!

jason.hover
05-23-2006, 05:35 AM
Great post! It's totally going to save someone's butt -- maybe mine ;)

LoveDeviceHateTheGlitch
05-23-2006, 07:08 PM
Hehehe! Thanks! I hope this helps! If I knew what I know now, I would never have thought I could put up with my signal just randomly taking a leave of abscense and soft resetting my phone umpteen times. Once it got to 30 + resets on Saturday, that was it for me. Enough was enough. If it starts, just know that it only gets worse.

I hope you don't have it start happening. I hope no one else has to put up with it.

Did you download the 4.1? I wouldn't hesitate if I were you. It may permanently fix yours before it even has a chance to get bad!

Take care and keep in touch!

jason.hover
05-23-2006, 07:26 PM
Yeah, I actually got my device in Dec 2005 and started w/ ActiveSync 4.1...

LoveDeviceHateTheGlitch
05-23-2006, 07:53 PM
Shoot! There goes my faith! Hehehe! How did you get the 4.1 so soon? They tech guy told me they only came out with it a couple months ago? Ugh! Somehow, Sprint needs to put the word out that the 4.1 is out there. But, it doesn't seem as though it is the end all, be all, fix all. But, I guess if computers weren't built and perfected in a day, neither will the 6700's be. Hehehe!

I am debating whether I even want to set up my BlueTooth. I got it just before the issues started happening. I worry that it may have started the problems but, I can't figure out how that could be. Do you have one for your device? I do prefer to use it if I have to use my phone while I am driving. And, even if I am on my phone around the office or at home. It is just easier not to have to carry the phone in my hand to my ear if I am working on the computer or cleaning the kitchen. I guess I should ask someone from Sprint or something but, I don't want to take the chance that they will blame me and my bluetooth for 6 months of problems I had with my other phone.

I got my device in November of 2005 so, it seems we are about a month apart from each other in our issues. Did you alerts start acting up about a month after you got it? I think it was about a month for me. Unless it was closer to 2 months.

Chat later!

jason.hover
06-08-2006, 01:23 AM
Thought I'd report back... It's been 35 days and the device since the hard reset is still working like a charm (reminders and all), so that is good.

I'm thinking about going here http://www.utstar.com/pcd/Downloads.aspx and upgrading the firmware... Has anyone else tried that yet? Maybe I shouldn't try to fix something that isn't broken... Then again, it may be good to stay updated.

LoveDeviceHateTheGlitch
06-09-2006, 07:56 PM
I am glad to hear that yours is still working well since the hard reset! I really think mine was just an all around bad device since, it only actually ever synced once...which was the first time I synced it the day after I got it. After that, it all went down hill!

As for the update from UTStar...I don't know what to tell you. I am very weary of doing anything to my device that could make it act up and, am terrified of doing any updates that might have glitches that could cause me more trouble that it is worth. Maybe hold on for a while just to make sure that the update is without trouble. I'm even afraid to set up my bluetooth that I got shortly after I bought my old device. It seems like my troubles started sometime after I got my bluetooth headset thing. I doubt that it was the headset that caused the problems but, I am so terrified to push that envelope and push my luck. Once bitten, twice shy I guess!

Glad to hear your problems are over! I hope it stays that way for you!
Keep in touch!

jason.hover
07-20-2006, 01:35 AM
Thought I'd report back... It's been 77 days and the device since the hard reset is still working like a charm (reminders and all), so that is good.

LoveDeviceHateTheGlitch
07-20-2006, 03:59 PM
Jason,
I am glad to hear that yours is doing well! Mine has been great since I got it replaced. So, I can almost definitely say that my first one was a problem child. I did have the message about the unidentified usb port pop up the day before yesterday but, I was able to dismiss it without any problems and I had to soft reset afterwards. I still don't know why that happens but, it used to happen at least once a month and, since I got my new one, it has only happened twice now. So, I can handle that. And, as long as I am able to dismiss it, I see no reason why it would bother me.
I still haven't set up my Blue Tooth ear piece thing since I got this new one because I am so afraid that it might start problems. I am such a chicken now after having been burned so bad with my first one!

Anyway, I am so glad yours is fine now.
Take care!