View Full Version : best reader software for iPAQ 1940

debgee
03-23-2006, 04:17 PM
I have the iPAQ h1940, OS Version WIndows CE 4.20. I previously used Adobe reader but after I had to do a hard reset on my iPAQ, I had trouble downloading their software again. Anyway, I didn't think it was that great. I downloaded mobipocket to my PC, but I can't get it to load on my PDA. Is it because my iPAQ is too old? When it asks me if I want to install the software on my iPAQ is hit Next but then nothing ever happens. Is there a better program than either of these?

Nurhisham Hussein
03-24-2006, 02:17 AM
I wouldn't say which reader is better - the way the e-book market has developed, it really depends on the format you are trying to read. Adobe Reader will only read pdfs, Mobipocket covers a wide range of formats but will not read pdfs, and MS Reader only reads lit and so on. What kind of ebooks are you trying to read?

debgee
03-24-2006, 03:54 AM
Hi, I want to read ebooks from the New York Public Library, and one of the formats they have is Mobipocket. The other place I've gotten ebooks before is Project Gutenberg. I can't get the Mobipocket program to load on my iPAQ.

Nurhisham Hussein
03-24-2006, 04:58 AM
Why don't you try using the cab file? You can get it here:

http://69.0.238.8/soft/reader5/mobireader.arm.cab

Download the file and transfer it over to your PDA. Just click on the file on your PDA, and it will automatically install.

If you wish to install on a storage card, get cabinstl (http://www.s-k-tools.com/util.html).

You'll miss out on the desktop reader and autosync, but at least you'll be able to read on your device.

debgee
03-24-2006, 03:41 PM
I'll try that. I don't care about the desktop reader - I don't want to read books on my PC. After I install the cab file on my PDA, do I download the ebook into the file that I sync with my iPAQ? (via active sync.)? Or what's the best way to do that?

debgee
03-24-2006, 03:41 PM
I'll try that. I don't care about the desktop reader - I don't want to read books on my PC. After I install the cab file on my PDA, do I download the ebook into the file that I sync with my iPAQ? (via active sync.)? Or what's the best way to do that?

Nurhisham Hussein
03-24-2006, 06:22 PM
IIRC, mobipocket reads off any compatible format in the "eBooks" folder wherever you put it/them - you can have multiple "eBooks" folders in your RAM, iPaq store or storage card, just make your own. Though I believe the latest versions can read from any folder or directory - whichever you're comfortable with.

helener
03-29-2006, 03:51 AM
I put cabinstl on my IPAQ but when I click on it, it says there is no program associated with it. How do I get it to work? Thanks!

Nurhisham Hussein
03-29-2006, 04:23 AM
Did you transfer the zip over, or the executable. There are three versions of the exe file - did you transfer over the right one? For most modern Windows Mobile machines, that would be the ARM version.

helener
03-29-2006, 04:41 AM
I clicked on the link to cabinstl in the above posting. It took me to http://www.s-k-tools.com/util.html and I clicked the download button. It downloaded the Zip file. Where can I get the executable file you said I should use? Thanks for your help!

Nurhisham Hussein
03-29-2006, 05:38 AM
You have to extract the zip file first. A zip file is a compressed archive file - luckily it's fairly easy to extract one in Windows XP:

1. Click on the file in WinXP.
2. In the Folder Tasks pane, click on the "Extract..." command - a wizard will popup.
3. Click on next, then select the directory to extract to. The default directory is usually fine.
4. Click on next, and make sure the "Show extracted files" check box is ticked.
5. Click on finish, and the resulting extracted files should appear.
6. Copy the file called "cabinstl_en.exe" to your PDA - make sure you copy it to somewhere you're comfortable keeping it in, I always have mine in a seperate folder in Program Files.

That's it, you're done.

To use cabinstl, launch it and select the cab file you want to install (click the ".CAB" button and navigate to where you saved the file), and the folder where you want to install to (click the "Path" button, then navigate to where you want to install the program - this could include your storage card - and I would recommend creating a new folder for every program you install). The last step is to press the "Install" button. The options in the program are more or less self-explanatory.

helener
03-29-2006, 05:47 AM
Thanks! I new how to extract the Zip files but I didn't know what to do with them after that.