View Full Version : Device advice for marathon

GSmith
03-22-2006, 01:19 PM
I'm in the market for a new device. And then I thought "maybe I can get something that would work in a marathon!"

Despite having the classic physique of a computer programmer, I am training for the Chicago Marathon in October. And I need a new device. I have the VGA Fujitsu-Siemens Pocket Loox 720 and it works great. The headset jack has grown a little finicky and I need a new WM5 device (for testing purposes, too).

So I've sort of narrowed it down to:
HTC Prophet -
Advantages: small, phone, WiFi, EDGE
Disadvantages: no integrated GPS, 200MHz

Asus A636 -
Advantages: 8hr-17hr battery life, integrated GPS
Disadvantages: not a phone

Of course, I am tempted by the keyboard of the HTC Hermes-class devices, but the recent revealing of their "HSDPA-ready" status seems dubious to me. I might as well get the Wizard right now for much less money. And there's the Loox (N? or C?) 560 that retains the VGA screen of the Loox 720 that I already have, adds GPS, super-fast processor, and WiFi G, but doesn't get the battery life up as high as the A636.

I will be "running" the marathon in probably 6-8 hours (see physique comment above!), and I'd like the device to last that long either by itself or with an extra battery or battery extender.

During the race, I will be listening to podcasts (using FeederReader, of course!) and tracking my progress with GPS. It would be equally cool to transmit my GPS location online during the race for friends and family (if they're interested).

I don't know if I'll want to also carry a phone, too. So I'm looking at:

Without phone:
1) A636
2) Prophet, Bluetooth GPS, extra battery/extender

With phone:
1) A636, Phone
2) Prophet, Bluetooth GPS, extra battery/extender

For the Phone, I have a Motorola V551 (Bluetooth and EDGE) that works fairly well but has poor battery life (somewhere between 2 and 4 hours talk time).
For Bluetooth GPS, I'd probably go with my existing Hiacom HI-303 in its bluetooth slipper, but I might upgrade to the HI-303III because of its greater sensitivity. The Bluetooth slipper uses "standard" and changable nokia batteries. So I can buy a couple of extra ones (I hope) if necessary.

As always, the one device vs. two device debate rages on. This year, I'm hoping that Cingular will deploy their UTMS (or is it HSDPA?) capability. The Prophet will only support EDGE speeds, presumably. I'd love to get working UTMS by the end of the year.

I guess I'm leaning towards the A636, then get a (hopefully) cheap UTMS Bluetooth phone, similar to what I have now, just trading VGA and Compact Flash slot (in the Loox) for a GPS and battery life. In any case, I will probably "have" to purchase multiple devices for software testing.

Anything else to consider?
Any hardware company want to sponsor me in the Chicago Marathon?

Greg Smith

Patrick Y.
03-23-2006, 01:09 AM
a636 should be almost perfect for your needs. However, I also recomend you to check out acer n300.