View Full Version : Question for you math geeks re: screen sizes

ctmagnus
03-22-2006, 08:04 AM
My current device has a 4" screen. The device I've currently got my eye on has a 2.8" screen. Both have the same resolution, 240 x 320.

Am I correct in assuming that if I take a screenshot off of my 4" screen and reduce it to 70% of the original size, then view that image at 100% zoom on the 4" screen, that will give me a reasonable idea of what to expect that using a 2.8" screen will be like?

Nurhisham Hussein
03-22-2006, 08:16 AM
I rather think it you should stop at step 1 - since you have the same number of pixels in both screen sizes, the 2.8in screen would have a higher density of pixels per inch (in other words a higher dots per inch). Put it another way, if the 2.8in dpi was used in the 3.5in screen, it would have 25% more pixels or the equivalent of 400x300 as against your original 320x240.

Darius Wey
03-22-2006, 08:34 AM
hishamh pretty much nailed it. If you want an accurate representation of a 2.8" QVGA display, I suggest you pop down to your local consumer electronics store and check out a K-JAM (or whatever other 2.8" model they have on the shelves).

Mark Larson
03-22-2006, 09:05 AM
You can cut two piece of paper to compare. You simply use the Pythagoras theorem to find the height and width from the diagonal size and the aspect ratio and you have an accurate representation of how much smaller the new screen will be.

Let me just tell you - they're really small. :lol:

lesterm
03-22-2006, 12:55 PM
Isn't ctmagnus right? As well as you other guys.

A 2.8" QVGA screen is just a scaled down 4" QVGA screen, surely?! With, as you say, a higher dpi.

Edit: sorry - said 4" VGA, not 4" QVGA

JPD6825
03-22-2006, 01:21 PM
But are you really more concerned about the quality of the images that your eye perceives? Actually, I think the result of your proposed procedure will not adequately represent the quality of the smaller screen. I think the 'shrinking' will actually introduce a bit of jagginess into the image -- but in reality the smaller screen will appear to your idea to less jagginess - since it has a higher number of pixels per inch (a smaller pixel pitch). More important though is probably going to be 'how bright are the 2 screens' and 'how true are the colors on them'. Size does matter, but if the larger screen is of relatively lower quality - it might not 'win'.

pocketpcadmirer
03-22-2006, 01:58 PM
Higher dpi also means that you need to be more accurate while tapping on the screen. When, I used to be a magician owner, I *had* to use stylus to tap a link in PIE. Now, since I have a BA, my thumb is okay for tapping.

In other words, you have to concentrate more while tapping.
But, then, you get the compact package too :wink:

Ask yourself, you want small size or big,ipaq-kinda size?

Sunny

Cybrid
04-02-2006, 09:35 PM
My current device has a 4" screen. The device I've currently got my eye on has a 2.8" screen. Both have the same resolution, 240 x 320.

Am I correct in assuming that if I take a screenshot off of my 4" screen and reduce it to 70% of the original size, then view that image at 100% zoom on the 4" screen, that will give me a reasonable idea of what to expect that using a 2.8" screen will be like?I'm guessing here but you're considering mail ordering the Telus 6700. Aintcha?
Well, put it this way. The 2.8" screen is why I haven't gotten rid of my X50v...While perfectly legible and significantly better color saturation than the X50,E-830/800 PPC's.. It is small to write on and requires concentration to tap small links. It also has a slight yellow tinge.
Overall though, quite a solid performer. No regrets.

ctmagnus
04-02-2006, 11:39 PM
I'm guessing here but you're considering mail ordering the Telus 6700. Aintcha?

Nope. I'm GSM all the way. ;) And I'm not switching to MiniSD. :evil:

Well, put it this way. The 2.8" screen is why I haven't gotten rid of my X50v...While perfectly legible and significantly better color saturation than the X50,E-830/800 PPC's.. It is small to write on and requires concentration to tap small links. It also has a slight yellow tinge.
Overall though, quite a solid performer. No regrets.

I checked out a 6700 in a Telus store last week and the screen was actually bigger than the screenshots I scaled down. I did have some issues with the sip keyboard, but later I realized that the model that the rep let me play with still had all the default settings for it and I have issues with the keyboard with those settings even on a 4" screen. And as far as yellow tinge is concerned, in my experience, it's a per-unit issue, not a per-model issue. I've seen different units from the same lines display varying degrees of yellowing.

So, it's back to more fence-sitting for me. :grumble: