View Full Version : ActiveSync 4.1 and files being moved to recycle bin. Help.

Andy Whiteford
03-21-2006, 10:37 PM
I've just noticed that my desktop eWallet and Listpro files were disappearing after a sync. I have noticed that when I sync my PPC, it goes down the list and the moment it gets to 'Files', my eWallet and Listpro files in the My Documents folder on my desktop get moved to the recyclye bin. On the PPC they still show up in My Documents. If I check under settings for 'Files' in ActiveSync, these two files are no longer listed for syncing. Other files in this folder sync without issue. Has anyone noticed similar behaviour or know why this is happening?

Ilium Software
03-23-2006, 05:36 PM
Hi Andy,

What you are experiencing is one of two known bugs in the Active Sync synchronization software (confirmed by Microsoft).

The most likely culprit is that Active Sync 4.1 fails to notice some files in the My Documents folder of your device (usually files installed along with the software.) If you have these same files in the <Devicename> My Documents folder on the desktop, when you go to sync, Active Sync looks on the desktop, sees the files there, but then looks on the Pocket PC and can't find them. They ARE on the Pocket PC but they are effectively invisible.

Being helpful, Active Sync proceeds to toss the desktop files thinking you've deleted the Pocket PC copies.

So that is what you are seeing. Now, the solution.
1. Remove the ListPro/eWallet file from both the My Documents folder on the device and from the synchronized files folder on the desktop.
2. Push the Sync button so ActiveSync will synchronize file status.
3. Copy the ListPro file back into the synchronized files folder on the desktop.
4. Push the Sync button so ActiveSync will synchronize and copy the ListPro file to the device.

The other possible culprit is that many users who install Active Sync 4.1 end up with their <Devicename> My Documents folder on the desktop set as Read Only. It's worth checking the folder properties just to be sure!

Hope this helps! Feel free to email us if it doesn't,

Marc Tassin
Ilium Software
--------------------
[email protected]
+1 (734) 973-9388
---------------------
http://www.iliumsoft.com

emuelle1
03-24-2006, 02:08 PM
You can also try MobSync http://www.pocketpcfreeware.com/en/index.php?soft=985, which will sync any folder on the desktop to any directory on the Pocket PC. It's a great way to oversome ActiveSuck limitations.