View Full Version : T-Mobile MDA U.S. Help with suspend mode!!!

gunflight
03-20-2006, 07:32 PM
:D I got the MDA (AKA WIZARD) and want to know how to put it in suspend mode. Also what would cause the phone to go into suspend mode by it self. Lastly, is there a way to disable suspend mode.

Thanks.

Josh Hanson.

Janak Parekh
03-20-2006, 09:46 PM
I don't quite understand. There are several forms of "off" on a Pocket PC Phone:

- The PDA portion is off, e.g., you can't interact with the screen or buttons -- this happens when the device is left idle for a short while, or the power button is pressed on the unit;
- The phone portion is off, so you can't receive calls or talk to people -- click on the antenna icon on the top bar to toggle this;
- Both PDA and phone are off (via the two above);
- The screen is off -- used primarily when people play music, etc.;
- The battery removed and the unit is not powered.

In general, you want the PDA part to turn off to make the device's battery last longer. You can tweak the settings in the power icon in the control panel, but don't turn off the device idle when it's running on battery.

Does that make sense?

--janak

gunflight
03-20-2006, 09:56 PM
Is there another device state other than powerd off or in sleep mode? I have herd of suspend mode. Is this the same as sleep mode? Sorry for the confusion.

Josh Hanson.

Darius Wey
03-20-2006, 11:33 PM
Is there another device state other than powerd off or in sleep mode? I have herd of suspend mode. Is this the same as sleep mode? Sorry for the confusion.

One and the same.

Though, some PDAs do allow a full power down (similar to a computer shutdown) initiated by holding down the power button. This will turn off both the PDA and phone portion of the device, and when you next hit the power button, it will go through a full boot sequence. But keep in mind that most PDAs do not support this feature. Janak's list (above) is what you'll find in most Phone Edition devices.

Janak Parekh
03-21-2006, 05:13 PM
As Darius pointed out, they're essentially the same.

If you really want to know the technical details of sleep and Pocket PCs, check out these two blog articles. Note, they're fairly involved, but they're about as authoritative on the subject as you can be.

http://blogs.msdn.com/windowsmobile/archive/2005/08/01/446240.aspx
http://blogs.msdn.com/windowsmobile/archive/2005/08/10/450186.aspx

--janak