View Full Version : Want to sell my x50v for n300... Thoughts???

Patrick Y.
03-19-2006, 10:43 PM
Hi everyone,
After struggling with Dell's HORRIBLE support for WM5 for so long, I really want to wave good-bye to my x50v and move on. Anyway, ever since Acer released english rom upgrade for n300, I'm tempted to get one. According to people at Mobile01, user should have no problem changing languages. In Taiwan, the device is even cheaper than my x50v and I really want WM5. I don't play games or watch video that much so the graphic won't matter that much. Also, better bluetooth, form factor (I also don't use CF), OS support, memory (no outrageous memory leaks as on WM5 HTC device) etc. of n300 is really attractive. Anyway, do you guys think that it's the right decision? I will mainly be relying on my PPC for homework, email, tasks, web browsing, music, references, and other educational stuff. The way Axim crashed on me when I'm simply trying to enter my homework just makes me want to throw it HARD at the wall.

Darius Wey
03-20-2006, 01:37 AM
If you're that frustrated with the Axim, then sure, bite it and move on. As far as standalone PDAs are concerned, I would have gone with the X51v instead (whose implementation of Windows Mobile 5.0 seems far better than the X50v's), mainly because Acer's support in the USA may be a tad sketchy, but if you can live with that, then the n300 series looks great.

Patrick Y.
03-20-2006, 02:26 AM
If you're that frustrated with the Axim, then sure, bite it and move on. As far as standalone PDAs are concerned, I would have gone with the X51v instead (whose implementation of Windows Mobile 5.0 seems far better than the X50v's), mainly because Acer's support in the USA may be a tad sketchy, but if you can live with that, then the n300 series looks great.

Hi Darius,

Well, support was one of my concerns. Though, I owned n10 for over 2 years now and it's still working perfectly. Anyway, can you also name some specific concerns you have for n300? I've been considering x51v and it still seems to have some problems such as not turning on. Also, Dell is not even planning on applying the bluetooth patches provided by MS. :evil:

Darius Wey
03-20-2006, 06:49 AM
Anyway, can you also name some specific concerns you have for n300?

I have no concerns, really. If anything, I'm highly dependent on the 2700G GPU, and the lack of it in the n300 series is a slight turn-off. But considering everything else, it seems like an awesome device.

I've been considering x51v and it still seems to have some problems such as not turning on.

Even after A06? I have a few friends with X51v's, and after updating to A06, it works flawlessly for them. Of course, there are exceptions, and I have read about people and their device "locking" issues.

Also, Dell is not even planning on applying the bluetooth patches provided by MS. :evil:

You shouldn't assume too much just yet. An official statement hasn't been released (support staff e-mails don't count), so just wait and see if Dell will deliver anything in the near future.

For what it's worth, you won't be immune to this issue by choosing other manufacturers. i-mate users, for example, still don't have A2DP. And even looking at something other than Bluetooth, each and every device has a problem of some sort, and users are always banging on the doors of their OEM to have it fixed. This is what happens when Windows Mobile becomes an OEM-dependent release. :(

Menneisyys
03-20-2006, 07:50 AM
i-mate users, for example, still don't have A2DP.

Neither do Qtek users... (Qtek 9100 AKU2 upgrade.) Furthermore, I barey think the HTC Universal/Wizard will receive any A2DP-capable upgrade in the (near) future from any rebranders (o2, MDA etc.)

Patrick Y.
03-20-2006, 08:10 AM
For what it's worth, you won't be immune to this issue by choosing other manufacturers. i-mate users, for example, still don't have A2DP. And even looking at something other than Bluetooth, each and every device has a problem of some sort, and users are always banging on the doors of their OEM to have it fixed. This is what happens when Windows Mobile becomes an OEM-dependent release. :(

Well, Acer n311 already has Widcomm bluetooth stack...

Thank you all for your inputs!!

Anyway, I still won't be changing device in a while. I will have hard time convincing my dad to allow my to do all the selling-and-buying stuff. He always says it's too troublesome even though I can take care of everything. BTW, i bought all my devices with my own money that I saved for years. :D

Menneisyys
03-20-2006, 08:28 AM
Well, Acer n311 already has Widcomm bluetooth stack...

It does (with all its goodies), but its screen isn't as good as those of the Fujitsu-Siemens devices or the hx4700 and has a lot to be desired in video playing performance.

Andy Whiteford
03-20-2006, 11:40 AM
The Acer n311 sounds fine for all your needs. I currently have the h4150, n311 and X50v (WM2003se) and use the Axer exclusively now for my personal device. My fiance has the h4150 and I am ultimately going to sell the X50v. The Dell doesn't do anything the Acer can't (3D acceleration and VGA output aside) although if movies is a priority for you then the Dell is the current device of choice as it is much stronger in this area than the Acer. If you stick to movies encoded specifically for the Pocket PC though the Acer handles them just fine so you really need to weigh up how you will use your device. Incidentally, I am completely satisfied with the screen on the Acer and find it is actually quite accurate at displaying pictures. It isn't as saturated as other devices but this may be a positive depending on what you use your PPC for. Another reader on here told me that he wasn't keen on the X50v screen and its ability to display greens however he says the Acer is much improved in this aspect and he is also very happy with the display.

Patrick Y.
03-21-2006, 06:59 AM
The Acer n311 sounds fine for all your needs. I currently have the h4150, n311 and X50v (WM2003se) and use the Axer exclusively now for my personal device. My fiance has the h4150 and I am ultimately going to sell the X50v. The Dell doesn't do anything the Acer can't (3D acceleration and VGA output aside) although if movies is a priority for you then the Dell is the current device of choice as it is much stronger in this area than the Acer. If you stick to movies encoded specifically for the Pocket PC though the Acer handles them just fine so you really need to weigh up how you will use your device. Incidentally, I am completely satisfied with the screen on the Acer and find it is actually quite accurate at displaying pictures. It isn't as saturated as other devices but this may be a positive depending on what you use your PPC for. Another reader on here told me that he wasn't keen on the X50v screen and its ability to display greens however he says the Acer is much improved in this aspect and he is also very happy with the display.

As long as the screen is the same or better than x50v's, I OK with it. BTW, do you have any problems with n300 such as not turning on, inferior wifi reception, sluggish performance etc. This is the first time I actually met English-speaking owner of n311. Thanks!!

Andy Whiteford
03-21-2006, 08:38 AM
The screen is at least as good as the Axim X50v and probably better. It certainly seems very bright and vibrant but not as colourful as the hx4700.
Performance is very good; as a PDA it performs better than the X50v with menus popping up faster and switching between applications quicker - very impressive for a WM5 device. The device isn't as good as the Axim for high action games or high bitrate movies as the faster processor snd the GPU help out a fair bit.
No issues at all with the Acer. The latest ROM (v1.00.15) which the UK model ships with is rock solid and totally stable.
Let me know if you have any questions about the Acer and feel free to PM me if anyone needs one shipped to them now.