View Full Version : rx 3417

knphee
03-19-2006, 05:55 AM
my dad came back from hong kong and brought back a HP iPAQ rx3417. it is chinese based (windows), how do i completely convert this to an english based version?

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
kn

Darius Wey
03-19-2006, 06:22 AM
Welcome to Pocket PC Thoughts.

Unfortunately, you can't change it to an English version. Attempting to do so is regarded as a violation of license agreements set out by HP and Microsoft. In addition, separate versions of Windows Mobile aren't readily available "over-the-counter". They're strictly released by OEMs only.

Patrick Y.
03-19-2006, 10:28 PM
Unfortunately, you can't change it to an English version. Attempting to do so is regarded as a violation of license agreements set out by HP and Microsoft. In addition, separate versions of Windows Mobile aren't readily available "over-the-counter". They're strictly released by OEMs only.

Just curious, if OEMs did release ROM in other languages, why can't you change the language? Since the release of English ROM upgrade for n300, I saw many people converting their Chinese ROM to english.

Darius Wey
03-20-2006, 01:34 AM
Just curious, if OEMs did release ROM in other languages, why can't you change the language? Since the release of English ROM upgrade for n300, I saw many people converting their Chinese ROM to english.

Acer must have lifted the language detection restriction.

Most ROM updates detect the language of the device prior to installation. If it's different to the one pending installation, it will fail.

Nurhisham Hussein
03-20-2006, 01:36 AM

There's nothing really stopping you from changing the langauge (or at least nothing a hex edit can't get around) - it's just that as Darius said you'd be in violation of the EULA, which may void your warranty. Note that Acer AFAIK is the only manufacturer where this particular prohibition has been waived - and how they got MS to agree to that I don't know (or maybe they didn't tell'em? :devilboy: )

Patrick Y.
03-20-2006, 02:12 AM
Thank you for the explaination!