View Full Version : Can't access DRM'd ebooks

doc
03-19-2006, 02:33 AM
I just installed the new rom on my 6700, installed Reader and activated it, and tried to open DRM'd books that are on my SD card. The error I get is
"The digital security software that protects this ebook has been updated. You must reactivate in order to open this title" There was a link within the message also but I didn't find any help at the link.

Has anyone had this problem after reinstalling MSReader?

SteveHoward999
03-19-2006, 05:40 PM
You need to re-activate reader. You can do this by going to this link and following instructions

http://www.microsoft.com/reader/info/activation.asp

Alternatively, and I prefer this method, you can backup the files that activate your version of Reader and reinstall those. Thay are called

secrep.dat
secrep.dll
secrep.xml
secrepid.dat
Microsoft Activation.unload

and you will find them in the Windows folder of your PPC.

Obviously, thus time around you need to first re-activate your copy of MS Reader ;-)

[Edited to add the last file, Microsoft Activation.unload, because I overlooked it first time ...]

doc
03-19-2006, 09:02 PM
That's what's weird, I did reactivate it. Maybe I'll try deleting those files an reactivating again.

SteveHoward999
03-19-2006, 09:09 PM
You'll need to use the same email address/Passport ID that you used with the original activation ... the books will only work woth the original ID.

Steve Jordan
04-08-2006, 02:28 PM
I seem to be having the same problem with a book I just purchased. It's the first DRM'd book for MS Reader I've purchased, so I activated MS Reader, but when I try to download the book from Amazon, it tells me MS Reader is not activated (and it says it's activated, right there on its screen). I've tried downloading the book to my PC and pasting it over, but I get "MS Reader is NO LONGER able to open the book."

I just tried the steps above, with no luck. I'm considering trying ConvertLIT instead (since it made it to my PC). Any other ideas to straighten out the PPC Reader?

(This is my first time wrestling with DRM, after everything I've heard about it. No wonder there aren't more e-book readers, if they have to go through this bs...)

doc
04-08-2006, 02:39 PM
I don't think the problem is completely DRM. The DRM on the TabletPC Reader works just fine and I've had no issues with that version. I run into problems when trying to open DRM'd books on PPCs. Most of the time they just don't work.

I would try completely uninstalling, reinstalling, and reactivating Reader. When I had the problem you described that worked for me to get past that issue. Once you've got it where it will either open the book or crash Reader (the problem I still have) then save off the files that SteveHoward999 talks about in his post.

SteveHoward999
04-08-2006, 02:44 PM
I get "MS Reader is NO LONGER able to open the book."

I just tried the steps above, with no luck. I'm considering trying ConvertLIT instead (since it made it to my PC). Any other ideas to straighten out the PPC Reader?

NO LONGERv ... that's a clue. Have you checked what version of Reader is on your PPC? If it was pre-installed by your manufacturer, it may need to be upgraded.

Personally, I use ConvertLit on every book I buy so that I don't get those problems. Who knows when MS will make another change that screws up all of my books?

Steve Jordan
04-08-2006, 03:28 PM
I thought of that, and upgraded this AM... didn't work.

While I was waiting, I just used ConvertLIT, and now it opens fine. What a pain, though! (I think I have new material for my site.)

SteveHoward999
04-08-2006, 10:11 PM
While I was waiting, I just used ConvertLIT, and now it opens fine. What a pain, though! (I think I have new material for my site.)

Yea I know it's a pain, and sometimes I get ten or more books at a time ... but it's so worth it to be free from the hassles of DRM. I paid for the durned book, I want to be able to use it as I please!

PM me and I'll tell you about a visual application that tries to simplify ConvertLit.

doc
04-08-2006, 10:42 PM
Ok, so once you convert it over with ConverLit you're forced to read the book in PIE and lose any bookmarks and annotation features you have with Reader. Is that right?

SteveHoward999
04-08-2006, 10:53 PM
Nooooooooooooooo

One of the PIE options is to make html files, sure. But you can also make a .lit book that has the DRM removed - it works exactly like any other .lit file but it is no longer tied to your activated device(s).

doc
04-09-2006, 12:06 AM
Sweeet! That did the trick. Thanks.
:i got it:

Glint
04-09-2006, 12:25 AM
You can also use uBook (www.gowerpoint.com). I personally prefer it to Microsoft Reader. It will read (and remember your page etc) for txt, html, rtf, pdb and prc files.[/url]