View Full Version : UnInstalling "free" iPaq software

ezimmerman
03-19-2006, 12:32 AM
Is there a way to uninstall the software that comes pre-installed on hx4700's? I don't use a lot of it and it takes up space. It is not visib,le in the "Remove Programs" dialogue.

Janak Parekh
03-19-2006, 12:36 AM
Not typically; that stuff is built into ROM. The "good news" is that it's not using the device's RAM, so it really doesn't have an effect on the amount of stuff you can store or run on the machine.

--janak

ezimmerman
03-19-2006, 12:39 AM
I'm not talking about the OS or anything associated with it; ie. Outlook, Word, etc. I mean the apps like ClearVue, Dockware, etc...

Patrick Y.
03-19-2006, 04:48 AM
ClearVue is preinstalled on iPAQ?? Well, if it's not on the "remove program" list, the softwares are most like in ROM. It really depends on how HP apply those software to the device. If it's in the ROM image, you have no way to remove them. If they're installed automatically after hard-reset (I'm not sure) you might be able to remove them. You can try to find the program in your RAM and delete them manually.

Janak Parekh
03-19-2006, 07:50 PM
I'm not talking about the OS or anything associated with it; ie. Outlook, Word, etc. I mean the apps like ClearVue, Dockware, etc...
As Patrick implied, they can be installed in ROM by the OEM -- they can "customize" the Windows Mobile ROM image. (My Toshiba e805 had ClearVue preinstalled in its first ROM build.)

--janak

ezimmerman
03-20-2006, 12:22 AM
G2G Guys. Thanks.

bdavidson9554
03-20-2006, 04:54 AM
You can delete:

\Program Files\Dockware
\Program Files\BTPhoneManager
\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard
\Program Files\HP Mobile Printing

if you don't plan to use Dockware, a Bluetooth Phone with your iPAQ, or HP Mobile Printing. These all get installed into RAM on the hx4700 following a hard reset. If you don't want to delete them for good, you could move those directories to the iPAQ File Store in case you ever want to move them back.

Brian