View Full Version : Mobipocket issues

The_Nite_Owl
03-17-2006, 07:30 PM
Hi All,
I just got a Cingular 8125 Pocket PC.
I have no ability to connect to my work PC but needed to install Mobipocket. So I sent the cab file for it to my PPC email, saved it to a folder then clicked it to install.

I then went out to Baen Books and grabbed a book in PRC format and sent it through email the same way.

I saved the book to a folder and when I click on it the book opens in MobiPocket but the book will not show up in MobiPockets Library.

Where should the books be located in order for MP to see them?
Or do they HAVE to be installed via the PC client?

I also have the book stored in main memory as I do not yet have a miniSD card. But I stored the book in the eBook folder.

Anyone?
I am completely new to Windows Mobile as well so I may easily have missed something.

Thanks.

Janak Parekh
03-17-2006, 11:16 PM
Try creating a folder \ebooks in the root of the device and putting the ebooks in there (that's where I store them, on the device itself, and the Library recognizes it). \My Documents should also work too, but I haven't tried recently.

--janak

The_Nite_Owl
03-19-2006, 03:18 PM
Does not work.
MobiPocket does not seem to see the prc file no matter where I put it.
If I click the PRC file it opens in MobiPocket but it never shows up in the library.
I will have to try installing from the PC or at least installing the prc file from the PC to see if it works.

The other problem is that the text runs off the bottom of the screen.
The bottom line only shows a small portion of the top of the letters but when I page down that bottom line does not show at the top of the page so I miss the whole line. It has gotten very frustrating.
MobiPocket worked very well on my Palm device but on WM it is getting frustrating.

Try creating a folder \ebooks in the root of the device and putting the ebooks in there (that's where I store them, on the device itself, and the Library recognizes it). \My Documents should also work too, but I haven't tried recently.

--janak

The_Nite_Owl
03-19-2006, 04:10 PM
OK, I finally got it working but had to jump through a lot of hoops.
Perhaps a lot of this has to do with my inexperience with Windows Mobile but...

Originally I installed with just the cab file downloaded to my 8125 had the problems described above.

I uninstalled MobiPocket form the 8125 but it failed to remove everything and said so. So I manually removed the folders and files but the icon in programs never went away and I could not find it.

I downloaded the PC client for MobiPocket and installed it. It recognized my device but for some reason it failed to install the reader on my 8125. I tried removing/reinstalling several times with no luck so I finally left the PC install there and downloaded the cab file for the non-PC installer version and ran that install again.

Now everything seems to work fine. The menus and screens come up very differently than they did the first time I installed. The lines no longer get cut off at the bottom of the screen either.

I liked MobiPocket on my Treo 600 so I am glad it is working now on my WM5 device. No idea why it screwed up the first time.

Janak Parekh
03-19-2006, 07:48 PM
Now everything seems to work fine. The menus and screens come up very differently than they did the first time I installed. The lines no longer get cut off at the bottom of the screen either.
Hmm. I'm suspecting you somehow installed an old version of Mobipocket. I installed Mobipocket 5 via CAB and never had a problem.

Anyway, glad to hear it's working. It's my favorite Windows Mobile ebook reader. :)

--janak