View Full Version : An affordable PPC Phone that doesn't suck?

Steve Sharp
03-17-2006, 03:50 PM
The desire to upgrade our PPC phones has, once again, gained momentum in me and my wife, and we're looking to buy some better PPC phones. Our intro to PPCs came about 3 years ago when we got T-Mobile PPC Phone Editions. They were okay, but then I started reading all these reviews that said that they were horrible. About 2 years ago, we sold the "MDAs" as they're often called, and I bought the O2 XDA2 (next generation of the same phone) and that's what I'm using now. Likewise the reviews on this phone are fairly morbid, but I have't had any notable problems. When I got this phone, my wife got the Ipaq 6315, and some contend that this was the most overrated, disappointing, bug-ridden PPC that HP has ever released. In short, every PPC that we've owned has been bashed, ridiculed, and cursed to the point where we feel lucky that these models we've owned haven't exploded on our person or given us a rash or caused cancer or something. :lol:

So, I'm calling upon the learned, experienced gurus of PPCs to give me some suggestions of PPC phone models for under $500 US that don't suck. I know about the 4700 and all that, but they don't count because it *must* be a phone edition and it *must not* cost $800 or $900. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Im starting to wonder if the even are any good PPC phones for the price range I'm looking at.

Thanks!

Steve

Vincent M Ferrari
03-17-2006, 04:42 PM
The T-Mobile US MDA (aka the iMate KJam / T-Mobile Europe MDA Vario) is a very good little phone. It does a lot of things really well, and is low budget-impact. With a registry tweak, you have 802.11g instead of B, and despite apps taking a bit longer to load than would be expected (due to the 206 Mhz proc), once things are going all is well.

For the price, I think it's a really good value.

Steve Sharp
03-17-2006, 05:06 PM
Vince,
Thanks for the info. I've been looking around at some discount places and on Ebay and I think that this may be in the right price range and seems to be what I've been looking for.

Thanks!

Steve