View Full Version : Help! WM5 memory is confusing me!

lesterm
03-15-2006, 01:27 AM
With wm2k3 to gain more free ram, I'd sift through my folders and delete/move stuff.

My new O2 mini S has about 24M free after a reset while the wifes K-Jam (same device - different branding) has about 30M!

But if I delete stuff, I presume I'm only freeing up storage space, not ram.

So, how do I free up ram then? Stop stuff (O2 stuff) loading?

Does SKTools 'Free up RAM' utility work with WM5 by the way?

Sorry for being slow and thanks for any replies...

Lesterm

JesterMania
03-15-2006, 04:16 AM
Let me take a stab at it (being a new ppc user myself):

In WM5, there are two types of "memory".

RAM is used just like RAM in your PC, purely for program loading/execution. The amount of RAM determines how much you can run simultaneously and to free up RAM, you stop running tasks.

ROM is used purely for program storage, just like a hard drive on a computer. To free up ROM, you uninstall programs/delete files. This doesn't really have any impact on program execution, just how many files/programs you can store.

So in WM5, program execution space (RAM) and program storage space (ROM) are totally separate and perform totally different tasks.

applejosh
03-15-2006, 05:08 AM
If it's actual RAM you're talking about, then I don't think SKTools will help out much (unless you use it to kill off processes). It's more geared toward storage (i.e. ROM files in WM5, Storage RAM in WM2003 and down).

If it's RAM, then I'm guessing you have more programs running, more contacts, more appointments, more tasks, more today plugins loaded/installed, or have launched more programs (and supposedly "exited" from them - yes even on reset) than she has.

Just a guess though.

Sven Johannsen
03-15-2006, 05:11 AM
So, how do I free up ram then? Stop stuff (O2 stuff) loading?

You nailed it. It actually seems like more of the OS loads into the 'new' execution RAM than used to under WM2003 in the first place. You are seeing exactly what you suspect, O2 loads more stuff for basic operation than the iMate. You can likely cut back on the iMate even more by not letting it load some of the junk it installs at initial start (from a hard reset, it installs some extra apps). Can't tell you what O2 stuff you can dump, but I'm sure some of the folks here can.

lesterm
03-15-2006, 12:10 PM
Thanks for the repies Guys - very helpful and I can start investigating a 'cleaner' hard reset!

Cheers

Lesterm

S_K
03-15-2006, 02:18 PM
Does SKTools 'Free up RAM' utility work with WM5 by the way?
Lesterm

SKTools does not close any processes in this mode. It only frees up some of the "leaking" memory which has not been released by its owner. For example, you can compare how much memory the gwes.exe process uses before and after you use the "RAM freeUp" function.

lesterm
03-15-2006, 08:26 PM
Thanks for the explanation S_K.

SK software does some great software by the way! SKTools / menu are very powerful and very reasonably priced!

Cheers

Lesterm

cdxrd
03-16-2006, 09:15 PM
This memory thing is bugging me with 2005. I remember on my old pda, there was a slider to set more room for programs to run.. On this one, here is what it shows me. THis is after a soft reset with nothing on the today, nothing cept bare windows..

Storage:
total: 35.07
In Use: 17.37
Free 17.70

That part is fine..

Program:
Total 23.68
In Use: 13.91
Free 9.77 mb

Problem is, I have some programs (games) that think they need more than 10 meg to run.. and its driving me nuts. Even after a hard reset and reinstalling just some of the basics, i never have more than 11 meg available.

This is on a hp rx1950 series. system ROM size - 64 meg, system ram size - 32meg, WM 5.1, rom date 9/20/05

Anyone have any ideas to free up some more memory for those ram hungry apps?

cdxrd
03-16-2006, 09:15 PM
Srry bout the dbl post..

Menneisyys
03-16-2006, 09:25 PM
This is on a hp rx1950 series. system ROM size - 64 meg, system ram size - 32meg, WM 5.1, rom date 9/20/05

Anyone have any ideas to free up some more memory for those ram hungry apps?

You can't. 10-11M RAM is the most you can have. Sorry.

applejosh
03-16-2006, 09:26 PM
The slider thing is irrelevant now because all of the RAM is for running programs (program memory) while flashROM is only used for storage space. ROM is too slow to be used for running programs, so until someone comes up with a way to hack the OS to allow swap space...

As far as trying to free up RAM, you might try downloading and using either Memmaid or SK Tools to find out what programs are started up at boot time. There might be some things to disable. But since your device only has 32MB RAM, it may be a tall order. That's not very much by today's standards.

cdxrd
03-16-2006, 10:04 PM
Doh... there are times I really wish i could go back to 2003...

applejosh
03-17-2006, 12:14 AM
I know what you mean. I'm hoping that my (future) X51v has enough RAM (64MB total) so I don't run into those same issues. If not, then maybe a PPCTechs upgrade is in my future.

When did this persistent memory thing become so in vogue. Palm moved towards it (and it sucks). PPC moved towards it (and the jury is still out on that). I've never had a device die because of a battery issue. Maybe I'm just more careful (or I don't out enough).

Sven Johannsen
03-17-2006, 05:53 AM
When did this persistent memory thing become so in vogue.You are young, grasshopper. If I had a nickel for every forum or newsgroup post from a disgruntled user that started "My battery drained and now all my stuff is gone," I could afford to keep myself in PPCs till WM10. You and I understand, but a lot of typical users don't expect that the rechargeable battery running down will destroy all their data. And in fact it really shouldn't. No bodies phone ever did that. Why should their PDA.

applejosh
03-17-2006, 06:03 PM
I wouldn't say young. Perhaps I just ignore the ignorant masses who don't realize that RAM needs a current to maintain info. I still think it's BS to play to the lowest common denominator for everything. (A little knowledge won't kill you, people, unless of course that knowledge is top secret CIA classified stuff where the government will hunt you down and kill you for it.)

lesterm
03-18-2006, 09:22 PM
I wouldn't say young. Perhaps I just ignore the ignorant masses who don't realize that RAM needs a current to maintain info. I still think it's BS to play to the lowest common denominator for everything. (A little knowledge won't kill you, people, unless of course that knowledge is top secret CIA classified stuff where the government will hunt you down and kill you for it.)

Persistant storage isn't that bad, is it? I'm still in the honeymoon period with my O2 mini S (Wizard) but I personally think WM5 is great! There might be more issues with the x51v implementation (I dunno - never used one), but once it's all been sorted surely it'll be great - no?

And I'm afraid the ignorant (hey - that includes me!) masses will always win out in the end - don't fight it! SOme people, like you and I, like to tweak and fiddle, but most don't (wife included - I really don't understand her)