View Full Version : ActiveSync 4.1 won't transfer all contacts to Windows Mobile 5 device

vikasmg
03-12-2006, 07:09 AM
On three different Windows Mobile 5 devices - O2 Atom, iMate SP5 Smartphone and Dopod 900, I have not been able to sync all my conacts over from Outlook 2003. With my previous O2-XDA IIi this was not a problem and (I'm still holding on to it!) it still isn't even with ActiveSync 4.1. Initially I thought the problem was only with the O2 Atom. However I'm having the same problem with the new WM5 devices. I'm using ActiveSync 4.1 and have tried turning off my firewall, but no luck.

Any help appreciated.

- Vikas

Cybrid
03-12-2006, 09:14 AM
On three different Windows Mobile 5 devices - O2 Atom, iMate SP5 Smartphone and Dopod 900, I have not been able to sync all my conacts over from Outlook 2003. With my previous O2-XDA IIi this was not a problem and (I'm still holding on to it!) it still isn't even with ActiveSync 4.1. Initially I thought the problem was only with the O2 Atom. However I'm having the same problem with the new WM5 devices. I'm using ActiveSync 4.1 and have tried turning off my firewall, but no luck.

Any help appreciated.

- VikasThis may be of little help. Are the missing contacts in a common category?

vikasmg
03-12-2006, 12:08 PM
For a moment I was elated that this might be the answer, but no. The missing contacts are not from a common catagory at all. Interesting thought though, wonder why I didn't check it anyway...

I have been looking for other commonalities/patterns but can't detect any. Quite a few of the ommitted contacts were duplicates or perceived duplicates. But not exclusively so, so that can't really be it either.

Thanks for the response though.

- Vikas

PocketPC Addict
03-12-2006, 03:51 PM
Hi Vikas,

Here's what I'd do. Create a backup folder for all of your contacts in a new personal folder. Move all of the contacts to that folder. Confirm they are all there!

Then delete all of the contacts from your main contact list. Sync. Are both your desktop and Pocket PC contact lists empty? Good!

Now while the PPC is docked, try grabbing a chunk of your contacts 100 or so and drop them back into the original contacts on your desktop. let it sync, then repeat.

This should bring all of your contacts into sync.

vikasmg
03-13-2006, 04:55 AM
Well, I'll give that a try. It will probably take all weekend but it might be worth it. Why would that work though? I suspect it will, because I notice that if I delete and add a contact it seems to Sync over. Just curious why though....

Hi Vikas,

Here's what I'd do. Create a backup folder for all of your contacts in a new personal folder. Move all of the contacts to that folder. Confirm they are all there!

Then delete all of the contacts from your main contact list. Sync. Are both your desktop and Pocket PC contact lists empty? Good!

Now while the PPC is docked, try grabbing a chunk of your contacts 100 or so and drop them back into the original contacts on your desktop. let it sync, then repeat.

This should bring all of your contacts into sync.

PocketPC Addict
03-13-2006, 02:02 PM
What I've found is there can be one or two - or 5 records - in this case contacts that have slight corruption in them. The bad apples prevent syncing of the other records contained in the same memory block. Moving them forces the corruption to repair itself.

Note: That's just what I think is happening. I don't have the source code, so I can't prove it.

vikasmg
03-14-2006, 01:34 AM
>>Note: That's just what I think is happening. I don't have the source code, so I can't prove it.<<

Well Sounds Plausible. I'm up to the 'K's now, so far so good it seems...