View Full Version : Advice on Pocket PC with phone

Tennis Player
03-10-2006, 05:36 PM
My boss is looking for a pocket pc with a phone. His primary function on it will be to use it for storage of files - small spread sheets and databases. (Yeah I know its alot of scrowling.) Screen size is an issue - it would seem that for what my boss wants to use a pocket pc for - its not the best application of the device. But thats what he wants. Any advice anyone can could give? I looked at the files he wants on it and they are access databases and they look like they are more wide than long - seems too big to work with without deleting many fields?
How many fields is the limit from a user point of view on a spreadsheet or database? Is there a database software anyone can recommend that would deal with this?

Cybrid
03-12-2006, 09:34 AM
My boss is looking for a pocket pc with a phone. His primary function on it will be to use it for storage of files - small spread sheets and databases. (Yeah I know its alot of scrowling.) Screen size is an issue - it would seem that for what my boss wants to use a pocket pc for - its not the best application of the device. But thats what he wants. Any advice anyone can could give? I looked at the files he wants on it and they are access databases and they look like they are more wide than long - seems too big to work with without deleting many fields?
How many fields is the limit from a user point of view on a spreadsheet or database? Is there a database software anyone can recommend that would deal with this?
Money no object? HTC Universal(VGA) on landscape with VGA tweak.
A phone that'd display 640x480 resolution.

How fixed is the phone requirement?

Janak Parekh
03-12-2006, 04:41 PM
My boss is looking for a pocket pc with a phone. His primary function on it will be to use it for storage of files - small spread sheets and databases. (Yeah I know its alot of scrowling.)
Can you give us some more details about what he needs? For example, which carrier (and is it GSM or CDMA)? Will he use it physically as a phone, or does he want to use a BT headset?

The more details you can give, the more concretely we can help. :)

--janak

Sven Johannsen
03-12-2006, 09:28 PM
Money no object? HTC Universal(VGA) on landscape with VGA tweak.
Absolutely not. Note one of the major requirements from the OP. ACCESS. WM5 does not support Access. The conduit in AS4 is gone, and ADOCE is no longer supported, or a default part of the OS. While you can hack around and get some things to work, no WM5 platform is going to be ideal for any Access requirement.

Access has always suffered from limited support on the PPC platform. Rather than making it better in WM5, MS chose to eliminate it altogether.