View Full Version : best bluetooth gps and software for 02 Mini S?

devoncatt
03-10-2006, 01:39 PM
I am looking for a good bluetooth GPS and mapping software for my mini, there are so many coices which is best for mapping in the UK? Good value?
Tom tom or? or no name Chinese?
Costs?
Good place to buy it?
Maps need to be on Mini SD or instable by active sync or transferable toa Mini-SD it.
Easy to install or conceal so others won't decide to remove it?
Where to put it? On Sun visor?
devoncatt

AZMark
03-14-2006, 05:26 PM
www.semsons.com is a good place to get both hardware and software. Bluetooth recievers starting at $79.00, not too bad.

And if you want to get started on the cheep, try www.earthcomber.com

Free software and maps. It will install to any drive you point it. Not the best software out there for routing, but it will give you a taste and you can see what features are most important to you.

martin_ayton
03-14-2006, 06:25 PM
I'm in the UK and I have been using TomTom Navigator 5 on my Xda2s since it was released (and TomTom 3 before that). I like it: it's easy to use and has some nice features like an easy-to-switch-to nighttime colour scheme so you don't have a spotlight glaring at you from your windscreen. The voice instructions are clear and if it does't have anything to tell you, it doesn't chatter for the sake of it. I find the maps pretty accurate, which helps :)

The maps are easily downloadable to your min-SD card, and TomToms support (email and telephone) has always been excellent for me

As to where you should put it: Wherever causes least obstruction to your view of the road whilst not needing you to look right away from the road to see it. You'll need to have the PPC powered up from the car outlet while you're using it, so think about the cable route. I have mine cradled to the right of my steering wheel with the cradle stuck to the quarter-light. I had to buy an extension cable to let my car charger reach that far, but it works for me.

I recall that TomTom did have a few quirks when I first installed it, but a quick poke around the forums here came up with all the fixes I needed and TomTom realeased updates which sorted everything else out. I'm now a happy customer.