View Full Version : How Best To Accomodate Sliding Keyboards?

Jon Westfall
03-09-2006, 09:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.the-gadgeteer.com/review/piel_frama_smooth_leather_case_for_the_htc_apache_audiovox_ppc_6700' target='_blank'>http://www.the-gadgeteer.com/review...diovox_ppc_6700</a><br /><br /></div><i>"The biggest complaint I have against this particular case is that it does not allow for the use of the sliding keyboard when the 6700 is inserted. While I am sure that there are 6700 owners that rarely if ever actually use the keyboard, I happen to be one that does."</i><br /><br />I disagree with The Gadgeteer on this one - I suspect there are more users out there that use the sliding keyboard on the HTC Apache and HTC Wizard than those that do not. For those of us who do, our case options are fairly limited. I use a PDAir case that allows me to slide the top of the unit away from the case hinge so I can access the keyboard, although this leaves the case hanging between me and my PDA, which can be annoying. Has anyone found a good case solution for this type of device, or are we all stuck with the same old traditional designs?

Cybrid
03-09-2006, 09:26 PM
"The biggest complaint I have against this particular case is that it does not allow for the use of the sliding keyboard when the 6700 is inserted. While I am sure that there are 6700 owners that rarely if ever actually use the keyboard, I happen to be one that does."

I disagree with The Gadgeteer on this one - I suspect there are more users out there that use the sliding keyboard on the HTC Apache and HTC Wizard than those that do not. For those of us who do, our case options are fairly limited. I use a PDAir case that allows me to slide the top of the unit away from the case hinge so I can access the keyboard, although this leaves the case hanging between me and my PDA, which can be annoying. Has anyone found a good case solution for this type of device, or are we all stuck with the same old traditional designs?
I read this twice and it seems more that you agree with her.
While I am sure that there are 6700 owners that rarely if ever actually use the keyboard, I happen to be one that does." vs. I suspect there are more users out there that use the sliding keyboard on the HTC Apache and HTC Wizard than those that do not.

and as another 6700 user....yea. I use the key board. but how do you create a case for it? I'm sure someone could design a bulky otterbox-like case with sliding base but a nice leather one?

kcwester
03-09-2006, 10:10 PM
I thought I would use the slide out and landscape but very seldom do. I even bought a case that I need to take my device out of in order to use the slide. Perhaps I would use it more if I had a different case but I don't think so. I love the device but would actually prefer it to be lighter without the slide out.

Cheryl

carphead
03-09-2006, 10:21 PM
I'm confused by your post Jon. Reading the Gadgeteer review it seems that Judie marks the case down for not allowing access to the keyboard. Then you've disgreed with her but actually agreed on the same point. :)

But having said that. I use a Krussel case which doesn't allow access to the keyboard at all.

But as my K-Jam goes every where with me but I needed a case to keep the screen protected. The case is a carrying device and not something I use the K-Jam in except to answer phone calls and check the odd email.

For general use and GPS'ing I take it out of the case.

andydempsey
03-09-2006, 10:22 PM
I just use the basic case that came with my 8125. Works fine for me, not too bulky, nice sturdy clip for the belt. The only time it fails is if I have nowhere to clip it to.

ddevilx2
03-09-2006, 10:23 PM
I would love to see a case that allows the use of the keyboard while in the case. I tried the pdair case, but the plastic is so thick between the slider area that it's almost more of a hinderance.
I thought about Velcro and using the piel frama case without the strap, but am scared the velcro would die on me and shortly thereafter my KJam would be dying on the floor.
I'm amazed no one has come up with an elegant solution with virtually all major carriers in the world using some variance of this phone.

brianchris
03-09-2006, 10:24 PM
I'm a new Cingular 8125 owner (which is the Wizzard, I blieve), and I too use my keyboard frequently. As far as a case goes, my prefered PDA case for YEARS now has been a horizontal belt case/holster that the PDA sits in when not in use, but is removed from when in use. Needless to say, I was EXTREMELY delighted to find exactly such a case was INCLUDED with the 8125!

Anyway, it sounds like what's at issue here is a case that stays on the PDA whether you're using it or not. Personally, I don't see the advantages of such cases, and PDA's with sliding keybaords don't help my opinion of them, but apparently there's a reason why lots of people like them, other that article and this thread wouldn't exist.

-Brian

ramjet73
03-09-2006, 10:31 PM
This Brando Workshop case does allow for the use of the keyboard while the PPC-6700 is in the case, but like the PDair aluminum case, still has the open cover interfering with a clean design.

http://shop.brando.com.hk/bwsprint6700leathercase.php

ramjet73

doc
03-09-2006, 10:39 PM
It looks like Sena is now building a case for the Apache

ramjet73
03-09-2006, 10:51 PM
It looks like Sena is now building a case for the Apache
Yes, I ordered one of those, but it hasn't arrived yet. It still has the "loose flap" problem, but it looks cleaner that the other designs in the pictures on the Sena website.

http://www.senacases.com/cart/home.php?cat=402

ramjet73

Edgar_
03-09-2006, 10:57 PM
Here's 4winmobiles review of 8 different cases for the HTC Wizard

http://www.4winmobile.com/htc-wizard-8-case-shootout-review-conclusion-vt1707.html

Nope, no KB allowance :(

-Edgar

Jon Westfall
03-09-2006, 11:07 PM
Sorry for any confusion. I was slightly disagreeing with her opening line that there are users who don't use the keyboard (When I read it, I think I took that she was implying more don't use it than do). Maybe my brain is just on vacation since this is my spring break!

msafi
03-09-2006, 11:27 PM
leather case with its own HTC Wizard battery cover attached to it. Remove the Wizard's original battery cover and attach it to the case by its battery cover. [patent pending]

just kidding!

sooby77
03-09-2006, 11:37 PM
Sena's design still leaves tons of the device side unprotected! That's why I am still using the case that came with the device. It's not pretty or elegant, but the the side of the factory case juts out just enough to keep the side from being scratch if it falls on the floor! 8O

If you "roll" the case on it's side, you will see what I mean, the actual device does not really touches the surface you are rolling the case on, although not always... :(

IpaqMan2
03-10-2006, 12:44 AM
"The biggest complaint I have against this particular case is that it does not allow for the use of the sliding keyboard when the 6700 is inserted. While I am sure that there are 6700 owners that rarely if ever actually use the keyboard, I happen to be one that does."

I disagree with The Gadgeteer on this one - I suspect there are more users out there that use the sliding keyboard on the HTC Apache and HTC Wizard than those that do not.

I agree here... I mean what's the point of getting the HTC Apache if you are not going to use the keyboard. I use my keyboard almost all the time and rarely use the sylus . I think the people at the Gadgeteer need to wake up and stop basing their opinion on only ONE person there who in some way has now regreated buying the device and wishes they got a non-keyboard device.

apeguero
03-10-2006, 01:06 AM
I don't use a leather case or a case at all. I hate the extra bulk they create. I like to use plastic holsters. I use the one by Seido which is the Seido 6700 http://www.seidio.com/6700_holster.htm. I also bought some plastic adhesive body covers from eBay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;item=5865297608&amp;ssPageName=MERC_VIC_ReBay_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT . These work great. I'm able to prevent a lot of scratches since the Seido covers the bottom two corners really well and the top two corners are protected by the actual antenna. I placed an adhesive cover to the battery cover.

As for the front, I use a screen protector from Invisibleshield http://www.shieldzone.com/item_description/AVXPPC6700.html. Not to rag on other screen shields out there but the inexpensive ones take away a lot from the screen's image and another one advertised here may be nice but do I really want to spend that much money on a screen shield? This product made by Shield Zone is pretty amazing. It is very clear and very tough plus it's really affordable.

I think my solution offers me acceptable protection and I still avoid adding excessive bulk by having to buy some expensive leather case. They're all really nice addons of which two should be almost mandatory which are the screen protector and the adhesive covers. Both of which are very inexpensive.

skjohn8
03-10-2006, 01:30 AM
Is anyone here using the PDAir metal case?

I'm particularly interested to find out if the device, in the PDAir metal case still fits in the belt clip pouch that comes with the MDA for T-Mobile USA.

MitchellO
03-10-2006, 02:33 AM
Is anyone here using the PDAir metal case?

I'm particularly interested to find out if the device, in the PDAir metal case still fits in the belt clip pouch that comes with the MDA for T-Mobile USA.

I had a KJAM for about 3 months and bought both the PDAir leather case (with keyboard usability) and the PDAir Metal Case. I returned the leather case because it really felt like it would damage the slider. It fitted too tightly between the KB and screen, and just felt like it was stressing the mechanism. The metal case however was perfect for keyboard use. The cover didn't get in the way at all and it offered the slimmest protection solution I could find.

In the last month of my ownership, I went totally caseless. Even though the metal case case slim compared to others, it still made the device too thick for me. Without the case the device was an ok thickness. About the same as my XDA Mini in a case (maybe a bit less).

I gave up the device because I was just too afraid of breaking the screen. I'm in my last year of high school and carrying it casely was just too risky. If I get bumped into a wall or something that lovely screen (and it was a great screen) would break. Thats why I ditched it for my SP5, which is a fantastic size and has a much durable (although not touchscreen) screen.

I guess what I am trying to say is that I never found a case that really satisfied me. Both the metal and leather cases were too thick, and the leather case felt like it would damage the slider.

windmilltilting
03-10-2006, 02:07 PM
SkJohn, it does not fit.

Steve Jordan
03-11-2006, 02:29 PM
All the case needs is a second closable flap on the keyboard side... it's not rocket science. Chances are simply that no one's told the case manufacturer how useful that would be... so everyone in this post should contact Piel Frama, or their casemaker of choice (maybe you can all get together and choose one). Then you can be interested and agreeable consumers telling them what you want to buy! If enough of you speak with a common voice, they'll hear you and make the case you want.

Well... it could happen.