View Full Version : Sync Between Two Outlooks????

Quatney
03-08-2006, 09:55 PM
I highly imagine this as been asked before, but I couldn't find a FAQ or anything to discribe this.

Does anyone have their PPC syncing between two PC's. Specifically when one has Outlook setup for an Exchange server?

I'd like to keep my work emails (exchange) on here and combine my contacts, calendar, and tasks between the two. I would like, if possible, to keep the inbox seperated between two folders or something.

Info:
Dell Axim X3i
1 gig SD card

Thanks,
Court

emuelle1
03-09-2006, 02:16 PM
I've been syncing between 2 PCs for years. I use Outlook at home and at work I also have Outlook connected to an exchange server.

Unfortunately, and this could be because Microsoft doesn't seem to require their developers to actually use the products that they develop, you can only sync one inbox with a Pocket PC, at least through ActiveSuck 3.8. I'm sure this hasn't changed in 4.1 as it would make a Pocket PC too useable and we can't have that can we?

I typically sync my home email. I normally don't have to deal with my work email outside of work, but because A/C strips a lot of formatting from emails, they can be very cumbersome to read on a Pocket PC if they have html, so I often wonder if it's worth syncing home either.

Choose wisely; you only get one inbox. Oh, and you have to set up the sync with that computer first. As long as I've been using Pocket PC's (about 3 years), if I set up my work computer to sync first, then take my Pocket PC home, I have to delete the work computer and set up a brand new sync with the home computer in order to sync my inbox.

uwaku
03-09-2006, 07:05 PM
Why not sync your work inbox using ActiveSync, and setup your home email accounts to actually EMAIL into folders on your device? I sync my work Outlook account (on Exchange) and my home Outlook manages my five email accounts (GMail, POP3, military, ISP, etc). Those are all sent to my device using T-Mobile's my.email, then show up later when I get home.

Calendars, Contacts, Tasks, Notes, etc all get synced between both systems. Both appear on my PPC, personal appts are color-coded at home but not at work, and vice-versa. I filter the personal Contacts & Appts while at work, etc.

Really not that hard once you decide exactly what you want on your device.

emuelle1
03-09-2006, 07:16 PM
I have thought about downloading my home email onto my Pocket PC, but I use Log Me In, so I'm pretty much always connected to my laptop anyway while I'm at work. Rather than waiting to get home to download huge chunks of email, I can process it mostly as it comes in. Most of my mail consists of newsletters and posts from Google Groups, so I have very little email to actually reply to or send out. I probably could get by with having no email at all on my device, but sometimes just because you can do something you feel like you need to.

I've also had a lot of trouble getting WebIS Mail to download my gmail account. I had it working once while my Pocket PC was connected through Active Sync, but as soon as I untethered I couldn't get it to work again over my wireless network.

uwaku
03-10-2006, 02:47 PM
Two other options for the GMail issue:
1. GMail will forward to any email account.
2. Your PDA will access GMail WITHOUT WebIsMail, either using TMO's my.email service or just by setting it up on your device if you don't use TMO.

emuelle1
03-10-2006, 04:15 PM
I hadn't thought about that. I could forward to my Comcast account and download to my Pocket PC that way.

uwaku
03-10-2006, 07:24 PM
I don't get why you're not just having GMail go straight to your PDA. I assume you don't have TMobile since you're not using their email service, so you must have your Comcast account setup on your PDA, right? Just setup your GMail the same way. You can tell your PDA to check it every 5 min or 15 min or every hour, whatever.

emuelle1
03-13-2006, 03:54 PM
I don't have a continuous connection to the internet with my Pocket PC, a Dell x30. My laptop is always on, and I use Log Me In to access it, so I can pretty much read my email any time from work. I've been trying to get WebIS mail to download Gmail, but it only worked once while on internet passthrough with Active Sync. For some reason it won't connect to either gmail or Comcast over my wireless router, and at work I can't connect because they have mail servers blocked, although I can access through web mail.

I found out Flexmail has been released, and I can upgrade to it with my existing WebIS Mail registration, so I might try that, but for the time being having email exclusively on my Pocket PC is more of a novelty than a practicality. I get a lot of html formatted newsletters, which are clumsy to read on the Pocket PC and of course you can't follow links unless you're connected.