View Full Version : hx2495 Questions

asims
03-08-2006, 08:58 PM
Greetings!
I just recently upgraded to a hx2495 (from h2215) and am enjoying it except for a few quirky things that are coming out. The questions I have can't be categorized under one title except they are occurring on my new hx2495.

1. How do I perform a backup? The h2215 has a program on it called IPAQ Backup. I can't find anything like that on the 2495, not even on the CD of programs that was enclosed. Along that same note, how do I perform a Restore? Using the IPAQ Backup program on the 2215, I backed up the PIM databases and wanted to load them into the 2495.
2. My calendar button (Button 1) cannot find the Calendar program and contact button (Button 2) cannot find the Contacts program to open them. Specifically, an Error window pops up saying that they cannot be found. That started happening after I held the Button 1 to rotate the screen (which it is assigned to do). I have already tried going into the Buttons assignment screen and re-selecting Button 1 to Calendar and Button 2 to Contacts (even though they were already assigned them) but to no avail.
UPDATE: Just in case anyone else has this problem also, I found a possible solution! I just reassigned those buttons to different programs, pushed the buttons and they opened those respective programs. I then went back and reassigned those to their original ones (Calendar and Contacts) and they work now!
3. How do I keep ActiveSync from starting on its own when I'm not syncing to anything? I can click on the iTask button (Button 4), select to Close All Tasks, and all programs except ActiveSync will close. I select iTask again, select Close All Tasks, and ActiveSync finally closes and I get directed back to the Today screen. But then I can go to the View all Running Programs, and it is still running! One more note - both WiFi and Bluetooth are turned off.
4. The h2215 had a list of the last few opened programs listed as small icons on the first line when I select the Start icon. How do I get that on the 2495? Right now, it is listing them as part of the drop-down menu.

So as to not leave you with the impression that I'm not happy with my new toy, after an initial hiccup with connecting via Bluetooth, I am able to connect and use the functions of ActiveSync wirelessly! Woohoo!

Cybrid
03-09-2006, 06:58 AM
Greetings!
I just recently upgraded to a hx2495 (from h2215) and am enjoying it except for a few quirky things that are coming out. The questions I have can't be categorized under one title except they are occurring on my new hx2495.Windows Mobile 5?

1. How do I perform a backup? The h2215 has a program on it called IPAQ Backup. I can't find anything like that on the 2495, not even on the CD of programs that was enclosed. Along that same note, how do I perform a Restore? Using the IPAQ Backup program on the 2215, I backed up the PIM databases and wanted to load them into the 2495.With persistent storage (WM5), it was decided backups weren't necessary.

2. My calendar button (Button 1) cannot find the Calendar program and contact button (Button 2) cannot find the Contacts program to open them. Specifically, an Error window pops up saying that they cannot be found. That started happening after I held the Button 1 to rotate the screen (which it is assigned to do). I have already tried going into the Buttons assignment screen and re-selecting Button 1 to Calendar and Button 2 to Contacts (even though they were already assigned them) but to no avail.
UPDATE: Just in case anyone else has this problem also, I found a possible solution! I just reassigned those buttons to different programs, pushed the buttons and they opened those respective programs. I then went back and reassigned those to their original ones (Calendar and Contacts) and they work now!I dunno. I think you've got it already.

3. How do I keep ActiveSync from starting on its own when I'm not syncing to anything? I can click on the iTask button (Button 4), select to Close All Tasks, and all programs except ActiveSync will close. I select iTask again, select Close All Tasks, and ActiveSync finally closes and I get directed back to the Today screen. But then I can go to the View all Running Programs, and it is still running! One more note - both WiFi and Bluetooth are turned off.For some reason, in WM5 it keeps restarting.

4. The h2215 had a list of the last few opened programs listed as small icons on the first line when I select the Start icon. How do I get that on the 2495? Right now, it is listing them as part of the drop-down menu.That was another OS WM5 change.

So as to not leave you with the impression that I'm not happy with my new toy, after an initial hiccup with connecting via Bluetooth, I am able to connect and use the functions of ActiveSync wirelessly! Woohoo!Good to hear.

asims
03-09-2006, 02:16 PM
Thanks so very much for taking the time to reply to my quite long post.

Regarding whether it's WM5, according to this hp website, http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=120&prodSeriesId=421399&prodTypeId=215348&prodSeriesId=421399&objectID=c00266786, it is Microsoft Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition software for Pocket PC.
updated: I think they need to update their page. Looking a little more closely, the specs lists only pocket versions of Outlook, Word, Excel, and IE as being included. Looking in my list of programs, I also have PowerPoint. So here's a question, if my OS Version says "Windows CE 5.0", does that mean I have WM5?

About answer #1 - any suggestions on a good backup utility? I don't want to install new programs or tweak the Registry or even update the ROM without backing up everything first.

#2 - Unfortunately, that was just a temporary fix. After a while, when I clicked on the Calendar button, I got the error again (Shortcut Target - Error opening the shortcut or locating the target filename).

Nurhisham Hussein
03-09-2006, 04:00 PM
So here's a question, if my OS Version says "Windows CE 5.0", does that mean I have WM5?

Yes you do - WM2003SE is WinCE 4.21.

asims
03-09-2006, 09:02 PM

Well now, that puts a whole new light on the subject. So I'm in the same art museum, but some of the pictures have been taken down and others have been moved around.

How reassuring to know I've got several guides I can call on for help! :D

Cybrid
03-09-2006, 09:14 PM

Well now, that puts a whole new light on the subject. So I'm in the same art museum, but some of the pictures have been taken down and others have been moved around.

How reassuring to know I've got several guides I can call on for help! :DNot to worry.

P.S. regarding backups and the button problem. You could AS, Make a FULL copy of your storage, hard reset and rebuild.....

or buy sprite (the makers of the original backup solution of Ipaq's)
www.spritesoftware.com

IpaqUserMaybe
03-22-2006, 03:44 AM
Hi,

I found a review on ePinions of the Hx2495, that thought it does not answer all your questions, it addresses many of them. As to the backup, I have been looking for a good backup util as well, so I am interested in learning from you.